The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

first pick-em-up project 72' c/2500

I was raised around all sorts of hot rods, rat rods, kustoms, and vans. When i was in like 1st grade, my dad was in a serious motor cycle accident leaving him, well, basically a vegetable until a couple years ago when he passed away. Growing up with a huge passion for all things vroom, i had no instructor or teacher, so, with inherited tools in hand, i taught myself to wrench. When i was 22, i got my first classic car, a 65' corvair 500 as a birthday present from my girlfriend. I was able to get the car to run and drive for a few short weeks, but, the overall age of motor components kept her off the road since those few short weeks. Cover on the car and keys collecting dust due to lack of work in this area, she has stayed in the driveway for the last 4 years now. Then comes another project. While taking one of our country drives, my girlfriend and I spot an old truck sitting out for sale, so we turn around and take a look. What we saw was a late 60's early 70's GMC 2500 lwb 2wd truck sitting with minor body dings but almost no visible rust. half way decent looking small block under the hood with those much loved ram horn manifolds peeking out at us.
Auto trans, great looking interior, brand new bf goodrich tires sitting on stock 8 bolt wheels, and dual exhaust with chrome tips.... The price was what got both of our attention the most. With me out of work for the past 6 months and her working full time, our budget was limited but not dry, so we scraped up what cash we had and made the guy our offer. to our surprise, later that day, we were driving this truck back home to stay.

The first thing to get some attention was the exhaust. There was some leaks around the manifold, so, with a trip to the local parts store, i had a new set of manifold gaskets to install. After installing, i ended up finding some exhaust donuts in the garage that just happened to be the right size, so i threw those on as well. Crank of the motor, and, wow, solid, leak free dual exhaust. Good start if i say so myself.
Next, was the coolant. I'm not a save the planet sort of guy, but, i also don't like watching coolant dump onto the ground, so, i had to come up with some sort of radiator overflow tank. A quick look through the recycling bin got me an empty bottle of Whiskey from my girlfriends moms, so, with some old rubber hose and empty bottle of whiskey in hand, i had a radiator overflow.

A week later, i had a temp job at a print shop, which got me enough cash to buy a dozen cans of House of Krylon flat black paint, which gave the truck an even coat of paint for the first time in who knows how many years. So, now with the truck having a half way decent appearance (at least from 20 feet away) i was able to drive around town with head held high.

That was the last thing i've been able to do so far to the truck. I spend alot of time just sitting and staring at her, coming up with ideas and plans that may or may not look good. I'm planning on lowering at least a couple of inches all the way around, which, with a budget of zero, will most likely be cutting coil springs and doing some hillbilly thing to the rear end. I'd like to keep the primer for a while, i might try out some of that chalk board paint, so i can draw stuff with chalk and have the rain wash it away, it might be fun. I dunno. Let me know what kinda ideas anyone might have, i'm always open for thoughts.

I forgot to take pics of before the flat black, so you'll have to take my word on how crappy it looked.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by exmonkeypunk; 06-01-2008 at 11:11 PM.
exmonkeypunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
killer71

Re: first pick-em-up project 72' c/2500

That's a nice truck...and not to shabby on the paint job either!
killer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer71 View Post
That's a nice truck...and not to shabby on the paint job either!
From close up, you can see runs that were there from the previous owners drunken attempt with gloss black. I actually didn't notice them untill the flat was sprayed on. It'll do though, not bad for a dozen cans of paint if i do say so myself.
Shot of the "whiskey sippin" overflow
[IMG][/IMG]
Red makes any suspension component look better.
[IMG][/IMG]
This was also the day i realized this truck had front disc brakes, i had assumed she was 4 wheel drum, but much to my amazement, i wasn't gonna have to make the conversion.

Last edited by exmonkeypunk; 06-01-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

A friend has coined this truck as "creeping death" named after the Metallica song. I have also heard it called "rattle trap" after the sound of what sounds like chains rattling when she rolls down the road.
We'll see what sticks.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:50 AM   #5
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Here's the most recent pic of the Corvair project that will never end.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by exmonkeypunk; 06-02-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
before refinishing the tail.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by exmonkeypunk; 06-02-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Here's a shot of the shaved antenna.
[IMG][/IMG]
This was the day it was delivered. In the middle of a snowstorm that dropped close to a foot. Almost below zero and she still ran.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Haha, nice whiskey bottle in the engine compartment. That's a great looking truck right now.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967 C10 Dylan View Post
Haha, nice whiskey bottle in the engine compartment. That's a great looking truck right now.
thanks for the compliment, i still, just cannot get over how tall the tires are. Makes me think it looks more like a farm truck from the side view. The tires on the truck costed the previous owner some cash and they're brand new still, but i really wanna get some shorter tires on there bad. I'm willing to trade someone even steven for shorter tires in good condition, even if i'm taking the loss. I just can't see the truck lowered with those big boss hoss treads on there.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Nice truck.

Love the Corvair. Would love to see more shots of it.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:23 AM   #11
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

I have the carbs off the Corvair in the shop right now. My boss is going to track down missing parts and rebuild them. They've been there since early November and he hasn't touched them yet. He's old. But they will be done before spring. If i can find my old Corvair Underground catalog, i'll order a set of manifolds and downpipes, go through the brakes, fix the dash not lighting up issue, new tires, and she'll be back on the road for a while this spring.... The truck is going to get a straight body and wide white walls for being such a good truck last summer.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Finally got the mirror on the driver door. I just had to bend the tang so it would fight tight enough. $5 at a swap last October.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

cut 1 coil from the front springs.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I had to take the cowl off to grease the squeaky wiper assembly and i had some red paint laying around, so i painted it. I like it. You can't notice it until you're up close and looking at it.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by exmonkeypunk; 10-03-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Driver window handle broke in half the other night. I was pissed, but was able to roll it up using my handy tire gauge for leverage. I went to the bone yard today and found a handle from a old volvo duett wagon that's pretty cool looking and then i found the exact same handle on a early 60's chevy truck. I decided to flip the inside door handles the other way. with the bench seat lowered it feels more natural to grab them this way.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
the spare handle from the early 60's chevy.
[IMG][/IMG]
early 70's lighter i liked from a riviera.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]