The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Psycho71

Track width question? Advice needed

I have an '85 K20 (3/4ton 4x4) Burb. It seems to PO lifted the front with springs, and the rear with blocks. Then the rear blocks were removed at some point before I bought the burb. Obviously this left the rear much lower than the front. I am doing a shackle flip kit on the rear to get it back up to height, and installing a set of Bushwacker cut-out flares all the way around so the fender trimming needed for tire clearance is not quite so obvious, and to protect the body from mud, rocks, and debris.

Upon mocking up the fender flares, I notice the obligatory rear track width is going to look outright goofy, leaving the rear tires tucked up under the body, while the front tires will fill the flares nicely.

I measured the front and rear track width yesterday, and come up with the front being 2" wider than the rear. So the body is also playing a role in the overall appearance of the tire fitment as well.

I also realize that handling plays a role in the design of the front being a bit wider than the rear. And all that is the set-up for the question...........

My question is:

If I space out the rear wheels (using backspace on the wheels, or spacers) to get the aesthetics I want, will spacing the rear a bit more than the front (wider wheel track in rear than front) further impede the way the burb handles?

As for the two options of obtaining the spacing I am looking for, I am really not inclined to run wheels with two different backspaces for obvious reasons. So spacers on the rear are the way i am incline to go at this point. And yes, I have done research on the subject, and am aware of the negatives involved in using spacers.

Any opinions, facts, experience with this is much appreciated.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Re: Track width question? Advice needed

I have been running 2" spacers on the rear of my 01 for about 4 years now with no issues with the spacers, handling, or turning. Honestly I see no adverse effects, think about all of the duallys out there with much wider rear track widths. I have 1.5" spacers on my dually as well.

I ran the 2" spacers on the rear of my 01, because the front track width was 3" wider from the factory, and my IFS lift spaced the track width out an additional inch or so per side.

You would notice a much bigger difference with turning radius if you widened the front track width. I think the added stability from a wider track width in something as top heavy as a lifted suburban would would outweigh the slight increase in turning radius with a larger rear track width.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Psycho71

Thanks for the info.

What brand of spacers are you running. Lot's of choices out there. From very expensive to very cheap. Actual experience here would be very valuable.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
GCncsuHD

I don't recall the brand, I bought them 4 years ago, but they are aluminum spacers, hub centric to my 14 bolt axle, but not to my wheels (didn't matter anyway, my wheels aren't a hubcentric wheel anyway), and had grade 12.9 metric studs IIRC.

But I hear Fred's steel spacers are the best. I can't remember his site, but google Fred's spacers, you will find him. Fred Goeske or something funky is his name.

Oh and I have loaded my truck down pretty heavy, roughly 10k behind it for about 200mi with no issues on the spacers.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
Psycho71

Cool! I have been looking at billet spacers, as well as steel. Obviously the steel is MUCh more expensive. I don't mind spend the extra $ if needed, but 4years on aluminum helps me make that decision.

Thanks again, you were a big help. Now I just need to get some more exact measurements and determine whether I want 2" or 2.5" spacers to fill up the fender flares.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
GCncsuHD

The load I pulled, diesel broke down so I had to pull with the gasser haha.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...0304091118.jpg