The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2002, 11:10 PM   #1
Trent257

Want to restore my 75 GMC

Well my dad has a 75 GMC Seirra just sitting around,i offered to buy it from him, Its a 2wd 350 with a 3 speed. i really want to jack it up, maybee put a bigger engine in and stuff, but i would want to convert it to 4wd, how hard is that? what would i need and how much would it cost.
Also im just kind of getting into trucks, giving my camaro a break for now, what are some good catalogs, web sites??
Old 08-18-2002, 11:49 PM   #2
buckshot

it would be alot easier to find a 73-87 4wd frame to set your body on than to convert yours to a 4x4 (or so i'm told).
www.lmctruck.com has a good catalog (has alot of drawings on the parts & how they go on).
as far as websites go your on the best one other than this one www.chevytalk.com has alot of info on 73-87 trucks.buckshot
buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 11:51 PM   #3
DaHateTank

I concur with buckshot. Changing bodies, is a big job, but mainly simple wrenching. Ive had my Blazer basically off the frame, and there isn't any rocket science involved.

One thing that isn't a bolt in, is the tranny hump. It bolts into the 4WDs, and IIRC its a solid piece of the floor on 2 bys...

From what I hear, a 2 inch body lift will provide the necessary clearance... or you can adapt the piece from a 4WD (this will allow easier access to the trans, and transfer case)

Around here (farm country) you can pick up 4WDs for dirt cheap (a couple of friends have even got them for free!!). Mostly they're rusted to the gills, but if your 2WD is decent, you're good to go...

just keep your eye out for a good deal. Having a body means you can buy a rustbucket 4WD, which are usually the cheapest.

HTH

-Marty
DaHateTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 01:01 PM   #4
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

There are some nice "Pre-Runner" style kits available for the 2wd trucks. There are a couple of guys on CK5 with lifted 2wd Blazers with the fiberglass fenders, etc. Of course, a lift won't help you get through the mud.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote