The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
Mrturner1

Starting my engine build

Well I decided not to pay a shop 900 bucks to install my heads for me, and I'm gonna give it a try. I've never even taken the heads off of a motor before but it's gotta happen sooner or later. Any tips are welcome, I have some guidance from a buddy but other than that I'm just goin for it. I'm on the fence about cam change, because I don't know what cam is in it, but maybe while I'm in there I'll find out
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
Mrturner1

Re: Starting my engine build

Here's the beginning
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #3
Mrturner1

My shop haha
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
hugger6933

I've used a shop similar to that many times. In fact my shop is sometimes full [or not] and I may still work outside either on the "slab" or just in the gravel.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Mrturner1

So far so good. This is fun!
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2016, 09:12 PM   #6
Cmvcruiser

Sometimes that's the best way to learn is to get some grease under your fingernails
Old 01-08-2016, 09:15 PM   #7
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturner1 View Post
So far so good. This is fun!
yep...so far so good. Get ready for the weight of those heads tho' when you are ready to pull them...they are about 50 lbs each and will lift you off the ground if you reach over the fender and attempt to lift them up.
What heads are you putting on it?...or are you going to rebuild the ones you have?

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:49 PM   #8
truckster

Get yourself a good torque wrench. Proper torque is essential to long engine life.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:02 PM   #9
toolboxchev

X2 on the torque wrench, you will have good luck doing something for yourself. Have ancient chinese fortune cookie for dinner also!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:42 PM   #10
swamp rat

Get a manual for the torque sequence, or find it on google. go in reverse when unbolting untill the bolts are loose.

Best to not mix up the valvetrain, find a cardboard box and keep track of which push rod and rocker go's where.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:10 AM   #11
Sklptrljay

Back in the day, I used to take a polaroid of something if I thought I might not remember how to put it back together. Take lots of pictures and even a video with narration for yourself.....a smart phone is a valuable tool!

Use a cardboard box as mentioned. Last but not least, as you remove bolts and screws get some Ziplock bags and write where they went on a piece of paper and put it in the bag too.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:30 AM   #12
tcrist

If you are not pulling the cam and have not done it yet, take a picture of the dizzy for reference, pull the cap and rotate the motor until the rotor in the dizzy points straight towards the radiator or towards the firewall. take another picture for reference.

This way (if you are not changing the cam anyway) you have a reference to where everything is pointing. Just remember "NOT" to rotate the crank at all until you stab the dizzy back in and indicate it per the pictures.

I have a word document on how to adjust your lifters before you start it back up. You should not have to readjust them after you are done if you do it by the instructions. PM me your direct e-mail and I can send you the Word document.

Or just search this site for "valve adjustment". You will fine many posts on it.

Last edited by tcrist; 01-09-2016 at 12:37 AM.
tcrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:34 AM   #13
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
yep...so far so good. Get ready for the weight of those heads tho' when you are ready to pull them...they are about 50 lbs each and will lift you off the ground if you reach over the fender and attempt to lift them up.
What heads are you putting on it?...or are you going to rebuild the ones you have?

Coley
I got a killer deal on some Pro Topline heads 180cc runners, 64cc chambers and 2.02's. I can't wait to feel the difference in power. I'm also swapping the Edelbrock 600 for a AVS 650.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:36 AM   #14
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
If you are not pulling the cam and have not done it yet, take a picture of the dizzy for reference, pull the cap and rotate the motor until the rotor in the dizzy points straight towards the radiator or towards the firewall. take another picture for reference.

This way (if you are not changing the cam anyway) you have a reference to where everything is pointing. Just remember "NOT" to rotate the crank at all until you stab the dizzy back in and indicate it per the pictures.

I have a word document on how to adjust your lifters before you start it back up. You should not have to readjust them after you are done if you do it by the instructions. PM me your direct e-mail and I can send you the Word document.

Or just search this site for "valve adjustment". You will fine many posts on it.
Thanks I haven't pulled it yet and I'll definetly get a picture. As I was pulling things off, I kinda wondered how I'm going to remember which plug wire goes where, but I'll figure it out when I get to it
Old 01-09-2016, 01:39 AM   #15
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Get a manual for the torque sequence, or find it on google. go in reverse when unbolting untill the bolts are loose.

Best to not mix up the valvetrain, find a cardboard box and keep track of which push rod and rocker go's where.
I was wondering about that. I was thinking with new heads I would have to get new rockers and pushrods, but I suppose I could re-use these ones. If the cam turns out to be smaller than I thought, I'll be replacing that as well so new rockers may be in the budget. How big does a cam have to be to need aftermarket rockers?
Old 01-09-2016, 01:45 AM   #16
4 Wheelin Fudpucker

Your cam is most likely stock. Keep it that way. A timing chain would be a smart move if you have it torn down this far.

The one problem I have with doing a head job on a SBC is that soon after the bottom end starts making noise. Im zero for two, not good odds. When my current SBC got tired, I replaced it. During next winter Ill tear it down and rebuild it.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:46 AM   #17
El Dorado Jim

Hey, I see that you are fairly close to me, I am near Placerville,why are you replacing the edelbrock 600? does it work?

Last edited by kcsa75; 01-09-2016 at 12:33 PM. Reason: WTB
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:18 AM   #18
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Wheelin Fudpucker View Post
Your cam is most likely stock. Keep it that way. A timing chain would be a smart move if you have it torn down this far.

The one problem I have with doing a head job on a SBC is that soon after the bottom end starts making noise. Im zero for two, not good odds. When my current SBC got tired, I replaced it. During next winter Ill tear it down and rebuild it.
If the cam is stock I'll definetly want to get something a little more roudy. I got the truck to go fast and a cam is a big piece of that puzzle. I'll cross my fingers on the bottom end, and when it goes I'll have a good excuse to get a 383 short block
Old 01-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #19
geezer#99

Change one thing at a time! It's your first rodeo!
If you're doing the heads, leave the cam alone for now. It's only a hundred bucks for gaskets if you change the cam later.
You'll likely have several little problems with the head swap that'll drive you nutz, don't complicate it with a cam change.
Leave the cam alone and you have a better chance of getting it running again.
Change the cam and you have a good chance of having a non running lump parked in the driveway.
X2 on the torque wrench. Don't cheap out.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #20
jessemthompson

Also make sure you replace the head bolts. They are stretch bolts and if not replaced it may cause a leaking head gasket.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #21
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

The head bolts can be reused. They are not torque to yield bolts. Unless going for a high compression monster motor. The stock head bolts in a SBC can be reused.

If using aluminum heads... either go studs or upgrade the stock bolts to bolts with washers under the caps.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #22
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturner1 View Post
My shop haha
Hey... my first "shop" was a kitchen. So you're doin' okay!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:36 PM   #23
Mrturner1

So when I'm removing the rockers do I just take them off by loosening the nut on top and its that simple? Do I need to be careful of anything spring loaded that's gonna come flyin out at my face at all?
Old 01-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #24
Redline novdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
The head bolts can be reused. They are not torque to yield bolts. Unless going for a high compression monster motor. The stock head bolts in a SBC can be reused.

If using aluminum heads... either go studs or upgrade the stock bolts to bolts with washers under the caps.

Gary
The bolts can be reused on cast iron heads,but to keep from galling the head bolt spotface on your aluminum heads get some studs or bolts that use washers, as Gasoline stated
Old 01-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #25
Mrturner1

I'm mowin what you're growin about the cam change, but is there at least some way I can identify what's in it without removing? I don't see what it could hurt to deck the heads a little bit, I'm mullin that over as well. Stock pistons put me at 8.1-1 roughly? So 9.0-1 could only help I'm thinking, not worried about fuel costs the truck was bought to go fast.