The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2004, 02:17 AM   #26
darcane

So, how bad is it when the airbag itself limits the travel? I just got my truck back on it's wheels with my new airbags and when I completely air out the front, the stock bumpstops only just barely touch, and the bag (Firestone 2600) is completely deflated. Will this destroy the bag or is it pretty much OK?
Old 06-02-2004, 03:50 AM   #27
jay-dawg
chevelito

Cant you feel the love in here?

What's up Jason...got any new pics of your truck? Have you painted the exterior yet? Just wonderin'

I know how it feels to blow a line and limp it to the side. I did it in my s10(still a minitrucker at heart). I'm so glad that i didn't go overboard and had my truck laying frame, otherwise, i could've been hurt or even worse, hurt other people.

But the point of this thread is to figure out what bumpstops people are using to keep the truck from laying out. did we answer this yet?

Jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:26 AM   #28
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Jay,

Don't have any new pics of the truck since I haven't done a whole lot to it. I am starting to work on it more lately and some progress is being made. I'm finishing up a couple little projects and then I'll start doing the final blocking and prepping for paint. I hope to have it complete by the end of summer.

Quote:
But the point of this thread is to figure out what bumpstops people are using to keep the truck from laying out. did we answer this yet?
Yea, I thought it was a simple question but some people decided to throw in their extra $0.02. I think I've got it figured out though.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:59 PM   #29
PJ_STYLES
Rockers1/2"off the ground

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane
So, how bad is it when the airbag itself limits the travel? I just got my truck back on it's wheels with my new airbags and when I completely air out the front, the stock bumpstops only just barely touch, and the bag (Firestone 2600) is completely deflated. Will this destroy the bag or is it pretty much OK?
YES you need a stop! Or your bags will wear out prematurely. Do not just use the bags itself for a stop.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:47 PM   #30
Phatt 47

Went to a show this weekend and Air Ride was there with a tech rep and a display. Acording to the rep you can drive your veh with the air bags completly deflated , lousy ride , but no damage will occur to the bags . There was a cut away of a Firestone air bag and it has a BUILT IN bump stop between the upper and lower bellows . How close to the ground you put the lowest part of your frame with the air out is up to you .However if some part or your frame touches the ground while parked ,it will also touch the ground while moving if you loose your air or get a flat. No matter how cool it looks it is a very unsafe and in my opionion foolish position to put your self in.
Phatt 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:38 AM   #31
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Looks like I do pass the "scrub line" test. As long as the bags are at ride height or even a little less than that, nothing touches the ground with both front tires deflated. If both front tires were to go flat and both front bags were to fail I'd be in trouble. Of course if that happened I wouldn't care because I'd probably also get stuck by a fatal lightning strike

I also got my bump stops installed which are somewhat visible in the picture below. Each one consists of a piece of 1.5" square tubing, two 3/4" nuts, and a 3/4" bolt. The two nuts are welded inside the tubing, with the top one flush to the top of the tubing (I used two for added strength). The bolt was then threaded into the nuts and acts as an adjustable stop. The tubing was then welded to the lower a-arms. I attached a piece of tire tread to the top bag plate for a cushion (similar to what PJ_STYLES did). The tire tread works great. It's soft enough to cushion the suspension as it rests on the stop, but doesn't compress too much. The adjustability allowed me to get the truck sitting perfectly level with the bags deflated. Also, if I want to do a little off-roading with the bags dumped, I can adjust them up to give me a little more ground clearance The stops are currently set so that I have a little over an inch of clearance with the bags dumped.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:15 AM   #32
jay-dawg
chevelito

looks like your tire's flat. j/k looks good man.

Jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
Old 06-10-2004, 10:20 AM   #33
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_STYLES
YES you need a stop! Or your bags will wear out prematurely. Do not just use the bags itself for a stop.
What constitutes prematurely? Mine have been on the truck almost 5 years.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:21 AM   #34
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-dawg
looks like your tire's flat.
That's how he lowered his truck so it wouldn't be such a high-rider
Old 06-11-2004, 07:25 PM   #35
PJ_STYLES
Rockers1/2"off the ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL
What constitutes prematurely? Mine have been on the truck almost 5 years.
I have the firestone airbag manual and that's what it says in there anyways.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:19 PM   #36
ftsmoot

what system are you using for front and rear, do I have to notch my rear with the system that your using and whats the approximate price for it
ftsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:10 PM   #37
XXL
Seņor Member

On the way to work this morning I suddenly lost air pressure in my right front air bag. Oops.

Fortunately I had taken the time to clearance everything last year... so it will actually roll when fully deflated (except for the 1/2" clearance of the front crossmember ). I managed to nurse it the rest of the way to work and then back home this evening by driving slow and juicing the air bag on big bumps. I've got 6 gallons of air and 2 compressors, so I had enough air to get home. Don't mind those gashes on K96 at every expansion joint

After I got home and got jacks under the truck (this is actually quite a task), I traced the problem to the 1/8" gauge line. Grrrrr! I don't have a piece long enough to replace it and wife is out of town so I'm walkin' if I don't get this thing working, so I took a spare fitting and JB Welded the orifice shut and will screw that into the valve when it dries. That way it will hold air... I just won't know air pressure for that corner-- which is no big deal.

Now to get those electric senders and digital gauge set I was planning for down the road.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:16 AM   #38
jay-dawg
chevelito

Sup Kenneth,

Does this mean you have the cab on the truck and it's running already? I'm gonna check your site. Ever since my first experience with a popped line (courtesy of a hot exhaust) I've always kept extra fittings and lines with me. Duct tape will work in a pinch, as long as you know where hole is.

My toggle switch for my compressor keeps burning out on my S10 so I'm going to take out my bags for more piece of mind. It's my daily driver so I need more reliability.

Jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
Old 06-29-2004, 09:59 AM   #39
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Sup Kenneth,

Does this mean you have the cab on the truck and it's running already? I'm gonna check your site. Ever since my first experience with a popped line (courtesy of a hot exhaust) I've always kept extra fittings and lines with me. Duct tape will work in a pinch, as long as you know where hole is.

My toggle switch for my compressor keeps burning out on my S10 so I'm going to take out my bags for more piece of mind. It's my daily driver so I need more reliability.

Jay
New cab is still on the dolly. Since moving to KS the truck has become a daily driver (used to ride a train to work in MA. All the trains here carry cattle :moo: )... with the old cab still in place.

BTW, on the toggle switch problem, it sounds like you need a relay in there. Those compressors will pull quite a bit of current... and it all goes through the toggle switch if you don't relay it.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:46 PM   #40
jay-dawg
chevelito

You're right. I'll probably use a relay when I get the 68 on bags. I'm gonna use the air management system from the S10, which will save me some dough. As of right now, I'm gonna take the shockwaves off and just get some major nosebleeds with the stock stuff back on. :p

You must get some looks in your truck

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
Old 06-29-2004, 02:15 PM   #41
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
As of right now, I'm gonna take the shockwaves off and just get some major nosebleeds with the stock stuff back on. :p
Be careful up there!

Quote:
You must get some looks in your truck
A few. I've even got a stalker here in Wichita...

Old 06-29-2004, 02:17 PM   #42
XXL
Seņor Member

Here's the snow plow end...

In the previous pic, note the fancy trailer taillights while I'm doing work on my rolled pan.