The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #76
Dan in Pasadena

Re: 1950 Five Window Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt - TN View Post
Dan,
You know I am not sure what kind of oak wood it is but I think it is red oak. It was LMC part number 38-7100 and they do not say on their page.

I went back and forth on to stain or to just clear and I even considered spraying automotive clear and buffing (that will be my next build).

I ended up not using any stain. What you see in the pictures is light sanding with 220 grit between coats then I have about 4 or 5 coats of Minwax High-Gloss Helmsman clear. I think on the next one I might end up with about 7 coats to try to get rid of a little of the grain texture. Overall I am really happy with how it turned out.

Curt, Thanks so much for the fast response. I'd agree that it's red oak if it came from LMC.

So the Helmsman alone gave it the golden hue since its not stained. I had fully planne on using Helmsman too but started searching "best clear for UV" and a lot of things came up. Most intersteing to me is Sikkens Cetol Marine or Marine Lite The reviews are crazy good and consistent. If I do i will post the whole process and how it comes out. Thanks again, Dan

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 06-19-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #77
Curt - TN

UPDATE:

Well it has been several months since I did an update so I figured it was time. We have been busy opening a Collector Car Insurance Brokerage so that consumed the past 6 months

Right after the last update we finished clearing the wood and installing it and it turned out awesome.

A few months ago I had a friend come over and drop a program on the computer for the Vortec 5.3 and we deleted all the junk that was not used.

Turned the key on for the first time and we smell fuel. Look all over and a fitting was loose at the tank but wouldn't you know it was under the bed wood I just finished installing. Up comes two planks and fuel leak is fixed.

Turned the truck over a couple of turns and the A/C belt jumped 1 tooth. I fought that for 2 months back and forth with ICT Billet and after 2 brackets and some shimming we finally got he belt to not jump.

Fired the truck up and it ran like crap and would not idle. Cleaned the old injectors and rails (had junk in them) and it got better so I bought some referb injectors on ebay and it ran much better.

I still had a stalling issue while in gear and letting off the gas. No codes so after a lot of part swapping I replaced the IAC (the most expensive part) and it seems to have corrected that issue during a quick test. I am still running open exhaust just after the O2's so that may be part of the issue. Exhaust to go on later this week.

We got the hood installed but still having an issue with the passenger side at the firewall sitting up about 1/2 inch. I will fight that one later

Went to install the tailgate last weekend and I could not find the $45 chains in my shop for the gate that I bought 2 years ago. 4 hours of going through boxes over 2 days still no chains. I decided to look one more time right before I ordered a new set and found them right in front of me on the table in a plastic bag. I was looking for a box Tail gate is now installed.

Now that I look at the rear the bumper hangs way too low so I think I am going to modify the brackets to raise the bumper up.

I also need to take it in this week to complete the exhaust then off to get a front end alignment.
1957 GMC 100
Curt - TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:06 PM   #78
e015475

That's a fine looking truck, but I really think you should have painted it red! (Just kidding - love the color and presentation)

Just a couple thoughts about your rear bumper situation -

- Could you paint the gas tank with some chassis black and get it to blend in a little with the underpinnings of the chassis?

- Is there any possibility you could switch the bumper irons left to right to bring the bumper up a bit? Would assume you'd heve to re-drill the holes where it bolt to the frame.

- Considered a roll pan painted to match the truck? I imagine you'd have to either run the bumper iron through the roll pan or make a new bracket that cleared the pan but still put the bumper where you wanted it.

I have a roll pan only right now, but really like the look of having a bumper and am trying to figure out how to have both on my '49

Having the same problem as you with parts I squirreled away a couple of years ago when I started the truck. All you have to do is order replacements, and after the UPS guy drops them off, you find the ones you put away. All I can say is I'[m going to have one hell of a stash for the swap meet someday.

Yours is a very cool truck
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #79
Curt - TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
- Is there any possibility you could switch the bumper irons left to right to bring the bumper up a bit? Would assume you'd heve to re-drill the holes where it bolt to the frame.
I did try to swap the brackets and turn them the other way but they hit the bottom of the bed because the curve in the bracket starts pretty quick when it leave the chassis.

I am most likely going to paint the tank black and that will help hide the face there is a gap there.

I thought about a roll pan and I saw someone who just took flat sheet metal and bent it to fit flat wise and it looked pretty good and was able to keep the bumper.

I am trying not to do too much more because this one is going up for sale very soon. After I picked up this truck a family truck I have been after came available. So the next truck build will be a 57 GMC big window, it has been in the family since new and it is a California truck with very little rust.

Also building a 63 Split Window Corvette restomod so the CFO says it is time to free up some cash
1957 GMC 100
Old 04-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #80
dsraven

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...726321&page=13

check out post 310, it shows the rear bumper brackets and what he did to get the bumper where he wanted it. it's an S10 swap. you could prolly do some variation of that or, if you're fabbing anyway, just make a single set of brackets that fit the bumper. set the bumper wher you want it (loose) and block it there, center it, level it, fab some brackets.
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #81
Curt - TN

The 1950 Five Window is making good progress. Today it saw daylight for the first time under it’s own power. Now it is all loaded on the trailer to get a new exhaust tomorrow.

I still have all the trim on the hood to install and the hood needs some alignment work also but it is getting closer.

What a pain getting a low truck up on the trailer

1957 GMC 100
Old 04-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #82
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I've said it before and ill say it again...that is one sweet looking truck.....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #83
Curt - TN

OK, it has been a while but I have another update. Yesterday was my firs day having the truck on the road. I started out taking it to cars and coffee in the morning and in the evening I went to a cruise in and managed to put on about 40 miles with no break down

No that my wife decided she wanted 2 Auburns instead of the truck build it is now time to list the truck for sale so I can get some cash for my 57 GMC build

LINK TO MORE PICTURES - CLICK HERE

The truck is mostly done except for a few finishing touches and the hood alignment. Here are some pictures.

1957 GMC 100
Old 08-06-2018, 04:14 PM   #84
Root2812

That truck is beautiful.

I see you and I have similar tastes. I see that 59 or 60 corvette in the back ground! Opposite of you though, I sold my 1959 corvette and kept my 1950 Chevy truck. We even have the same tow rig. I have a 2016 GMC Crew and I see yours a few posts up.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #85
Curt - TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2812 View Post
That truck is beautiful.

I see you and I have similar tastes. I see that 59 or 60 corvette in the back ground! Opposite of you though, I sold my 1959 corvette and kept my 1950 Chevy truck. We even have the same tow rig. I have a 2016 GMC Crew and I see yours a few posts up.
That is too funny! Yes, I have a 1960 Corvette (the first full build I ever did in 2012).

It was a crazy build, here is a link to some before and after pictures

LINK TO 60 CORVETTE PICTURES

This is what it looked like when I first picked it up, it was done up as a Pink Floyd themed car:

It looks a little better no!

This is my 2018 Denali Tow Rig
1957 GMC 100
Old 08-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #86
Root2812

HA! I remember seeing that car forsale on corvetteforum. I couldn't aford one at the time otherwise I was wanting to go look at it. I ended up finding my 59 locally and did a bunch of work to it before I sold it on. They are still my favorite cars ever but a family of 3 doesn't fit so off it went.

My tow rig is only an SLT but its really nice. I have a build thread for it over in the 07+ section. It was a wreck that I bought at auction.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:41 PM   #87
joedoh

red red red red red red red red red red red red red red red red red red!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote