The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2018, 11:26 PM   #1
lutronjim

Brakes hanging

My 70 C10's brakes failed to fully release after fairly hard braking to avoid a car. Stood on the brakes and then released and felt the engine pulling too hard. Found that stomping pedal freed things up.

I have had disk on front for 2 years everything new from master to calipers. Thinking it might be rears since I can't remember the last time I relined them. I had a drum dragging one time when a broken piece of lining wedged between shoe and drum.

When I broke into them the passenger side had broken pieces fall out. I was sure I found the problem. Today, however, I has a hard stop at a red light and it happened again. Like the first time it was in too much traffic to try to pull over and another hard stomp freed things up again. At store parking lot I felt both front wheels which were hot. Didn't try backs.

Every things too new to be rotted inside brake hose. Since there is no pulling to right or left, I figure its pressure on whole system.

I have a used 11" booster from junk yard which has been on truck for about 5 years when I went to power brakes on front and rear drums. I do know that when you hold the pedal down and kill engine, the pedal rises like its leaking vacuum.

My only guess is that the linkage on the booster mount is binding or the booster is holding.

Any ideas would be appreciated,
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:30 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Brakes hanging

First replace the rubber brake line on the top of the rear axle. The front ones as well if you didn't change them. They tend to swell on the inside and restrict the brake fluid from returning causing them to lock up. Went through that about 20 years ago on my 69.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
lutronjim

Fronts hoses are new. The front wheels are getting hot so I don't back hose would cause that.
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
mattfranklin

Next time you test it you might try jacking it up and spinning the wheels by hand to help confirm which ones individually are dragging.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote