The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2024, 12:28 AM   #1
novaX522

1” front 2” rear drop

Just got my 72 c10 back on all 4s. I replaced steering linkage, ball joints, brakes, shocks, and springs. The truck sat pretty high when I got it. I plan to use it as a fair weather daily driver and it needs to be capable of pulling an open trailer with around 5-6k. I went with the smallest drop springs I could find. 1” for front and 2” for rear. When I got the front springs out, I found a 1” rubber spacer that I did away with. So the front is 2” lower than when I got it.
I was surprised when I got it down on the ground. The drop did more than I expected, but it looks really good. I now have 3 3/4” gap from tire to fender in the front. In the rear there is 4 1/4” gap.
The tires on now are 255/60/15 (27”) front and 275/60/15 (28”) in the rear. I’m going to put on 31/10.50-15s all around. That will use up 2” more gap in the front and 1 1/2” more in the rear. So it should be in the 2” to 2 1/2” range after new tires. I think that will look great.
I’m adding front and rear sway bars. I’m also adding front and rear air bags, the kind that go inside the coil springs. That should keep things from rubbing when there is tongue weight.
Attached Images

novaX522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 12:34 AM   #2
novaX522

Re: 1” front 2” rear drop

Before pictures
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2024, 10:53 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I'm not sure I understand why you lowered the rear more than the front when the idea with minimal drop is to allow for hauling and towing. These trucks run 2" higher in the rear from factory. That's why the first drop kits were 4/6, to create a car-like level ride vs the pre-sprung rear stance that is typical for allowing for the duties people bought trucks for originally. You did minimal drop so it will be fine.

My chassis has a 4/6 drop installed. I bought it that way. That doesn't allow for much hauling/towing. I'm considering either 4" rear springs (I also like the rake) or bags in place of springs so I can go level, rack, haul or cruise softly. I want a cool looking truck I can use the bed or tow with, too

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:27 AM   #4
dmack91

I'm curious to see yours with the 31s installed. I have them on mine with factory 84 C10 crossmember and springs on the front and original rears. I like the stance now but was wondering what a slight drop would look like too.
Attached Images

dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 12:00 PM   #5
Accelo

Use caution when picking a rear sway bar.
Some are untested and one in particular caused a very dangerous back and forth sway on my truck. Bars, that attach to the differential, not the trailing arms are, in my opinion, the better choice. They also mimic the factory rear sway bars on later trucks.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 02:56 PM   #6
novaX522

[QUOTE=special-K;9274535]I'm not sure I understand why you lowered the rear more than the front when the idea with minimal drop is to allow for hauling and towing. These trucks run 2" higher in the rear from factory. That's why the first drop kits were 4/6, to create a car-like level ride vs the pre-sprung rear stance that is typical for allowing for the duties people bought trucks for originally. You did minimal drop so it will be fine.

My chassis has a 4/6 drop installed. I bought it that way. That doesn't allow for much hauling/towing. I'm considering either 4" rear springs (I also like the rake) or bags in place of springs so I can go level, rack, haul or cruise softly. I want a cool looking truck I can use the bed or tow with, too[/QUOTE

2” rear coil was the smallest they had, at least from my shopping. I knew I was going to replace the coil springs regardless. My thought was that I would go with the 1” & 2” drop springs and see how it looked with 31” tires. If it was too high on either end, I could drop spindle or drop block from there. I wasn’t expecting to find the 1” rubber spacers up front. From the looks of things so far, spindles and drop blocks aren’t necessary.
From the reading I did on here, it sounded like I wouldn’t run into issues towing with the spring sizes I chose. I always planned on using air bags with the springs, so I think it’s gonna work out nicely.
The vast majority of driving will be around town, so I want it to look good. But I need it to be a truck when called upon. If it turns out that I need to switch out springs to meet the end goal, I will.
Old 01-09-2024, 03:02 PM   #7
novaX522

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack91 View Post
I'm curious to see yours with the 31s installed. I have them on mine with factory 84 C10 crossmember and springs on the front and original rears. I like the stance now but was wondering what a slight drop would look like too.
I will post them up for sure! It will be a while. I want to dismount the tires, then blast and paint the wheels.
I think your truck may have been one of the pictures I looked at when trying to decide what tire size to get. 31s look good on c10😉
Old 01-09-2024, 03:08 PM   #8
novaX522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
Some are untested and one in particular caused a very dangerous back and forth sway on my truck. Bars, that attach to the differential, not the trailing arms are, in my opinion, the better choice. They also mimic the factory rear sway bars on later trucks.
I bought a kit with front and rear sway bars from POL. The rears do mount to the frame and the trailing arms. I can get a part number tonight. The sway bars actually induced sway? That’s not good. What was the circumstance? Yikes
Did it go away with the sway bar off? Did you go to the rear end mounted style?
Old 01-09-2024, 05:42 PM   #9
BIG ORANGE

Has anyone got a 2 inch drop spring laying around and could give the measurement from top to bottom I got a set and there 12 1/4 tall.
Does anyone sell a 2 1/2 drop spring?
Thanks,

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 09:35 PM   #10
novaX522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
The rear sway bar is part of kit# RSBK6372 from POL. Was your bracket and bushing installed right where the trailing arm goes up like in the illustration? I could easily see where placement could play a factor in not performing properly.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2024, 11:51 PM   #11
novaX522

Got to admit, I’m not sure where rear sway bar mounts. The directions have you mounting the vertical uprights where the frame curves upward. That seems way too far forward to be useful. I’m gonna have to reseatthis before I mount it.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2024, 02:35 PM   #12
MikeB

I bought my rear bar many years ago. Had to use longer spacers and bolts to get the bar leveled for max effect. Rear springs are 3" drop.

It made a big difference. More responsive steering and less body roll in corners. I also have a stock bar on the front from a junkyard C10.
Attached Images

1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 01-11-2024 at 12:39 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 06:01 PM   #13
novaX522

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I bought my rear bar many years ago. Had to use longer spacers and bolts to get the bar leveled for max effect. Rear springs are 3" drop.

It made a big difference. More responsive steering and less body roll in corners. I also have a stock on the front.
Thanks for the photos! POLs website only showed photos with aftermarket trailing arms. That’s where I want to mount mine. Looks like a similar size bar.