The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
jasnake65

Buying a truck out of state

I know a lot of people has done it but I never did. 9hr drive away and it's a 1960 fleet side. Recently been restored and looking at the pictures. Has anyone bought a truck without seeing it in person? I have talked to the owner and got lots of pictures. How do you transfer money, title and I will be having a shipper pick up the truck. I can fly next week weekend but will still need a person to ship it.
jasnake65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
Mathew21

Re: Buying a truck out of state

I bought a few trucks site on seen from out of state. One I posted up on a car forum offering up money for someone local to the truck to go check it out for me. He went took the truck for a ride and sent me twenty or so more pictures of the truck. For this truck I did a Bank wire transfer. Then seller overnighted me the title. I had a shipping company pick the truck up.

My truck in my avatar I found on autotrader.com. The seller sent me fifty plus pictures and a few video's of it running. The seller preferred bank cashier's check. I had the check drawn from my bank and they put in the notes on the check that this was for the purchase of the truck make model and vin #. I overnighted the check. Upon receipt he overnighted me the title. I had a a shipping company pick the truck up for me.

All in all everything went really smooth both times. But it is still scary sending someone out of state money.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
pwrbrkpadguy

Did it just like you Matthew21. Sight unseen, me in Georgia, truck in Michigan. Had a personal banker friend handle the transaction with his bank but was still warned that you can get screwed. Title sent overnight. Everything went like clockwork. Had trouble getting it shipped,so I met him half way at Elizabeth town Kentucky and towed it home. Has to be a lot of communication and trust.
pwrbrkpadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
jasnake65

Thanks for the info guys. Question for Matthew, I see your also in Mich. Who did you use for shipping?
jasnake65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
Mathew21

Last time I used http://www.dasautoshippers.com/. Hiring a transport company is a big gamble in it self. Most of the quotes you get are from brokers that just farm the work out.

Where at in Michigan are you?

I sent you a Pm.

Last edited by Mathew21; 10-27-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Mathew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
flashed

I just helped a friend of mine from Northern Ohio buy a Chevelle wagon here in my hometown .He had wanted me to look at a cheap wagon project from Craigslist but it sold before he got me an address. I pointed him to a local nice wagon that I had seen for sale at a show and I got him lots of pics and drove it around .He sealed the deal when I told him if he didnt buy it I was going to .I put a cash deposit down on it for him until he can come get it this weekend .I think he will be pleasantly surprised when he gets here this saturday morning .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #7
jdl71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew21 View Post
One I posted up on a car forum offering up money for someone local to the truck to go check it out for me.
^^^This. Although I don't know about the money part, but there are enough of us on here in enough places you should be able to find someone to go look at it for you. Also check with your DMV about transferring out of state title, MO requires title and a notarized bill of sale when transferring from out of state. Not a huge deal, just make sure you know what you need and get it.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:15 AM   #8
T.W.Dustin

I sold my '67 to a guy in Montana and I am in AZ. I had it listed on eBay. I sent the title to a bank where it was held in escrow along with the $$ from the buyer. He arranged a shipping company to pick it up after the bank released the $$. Worked out well.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
nsb29

try U ship had two trucks ship from california to florida
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #10
cooperhw

I sold a Pro-Street Blower car years ago to a guy from N.J. I spelled out the essence of our deal including price, vehicle information, etc. Included a photo copy of the title and my drivers license so he knew who he was dealing with and that the title was clear.
He did a bank wire transfer and once funds cleared I took his car to the shipper of his choice.
Perfect deal and we were both happy before, during, and after the sale.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #11
joedoh

I buy cars and trucks and drive them home. I have been to both coasts and both borders, north south east and west. I have flown in, taken trains, taken buses ( which I dont recommend unless you have a LOT of time, it took 13 hrs to get to amarillo from wichita, which is a 5 1/2 hr drive). my wife is the most extraordinary travel companion so she comes along, and we meander and stop and have fun.

pre 9/11 I would take tools and spares in my carryon, but they dont let you do that any more. I have never broken down but once I bought a grey market 323i in NC and in tennessee the throwout bearing went bad, and in middle missouri the exhaust separated. it was a symphony of really loud sounds the final 300 miles haha.

People tend to think shipping a car is like ordering takeout or pizza, that teams of guys are just standing by to pick up your order and whisk it to you as fast as they can, 30 minutes or its free. the REALITY is that shippers use logistics, which is a fancy word for saying they will ship it when they damn well feel like it, usually when they can fill up a truck with vehicles going to your same block or in some cases your same town if you dont happen to have a block of neighbors that are always ordering cars/trucks. Usually the car/truck sits at the shipper yard for up to a month or even longer, and can also be taken to several locations across the country to wait before shipping to you. The latter happens when you or the seller arent on an arterial roadway (like I70 for example, a guy in Columbus can be assured of pretty fast shipping from KC) and they have different hubs to maximize efficiency. think of taking the bus in your town, only the express goes point to point, usually you go to the station and then change to the bus that goes where you are going. Shipping by truck is rarely affordable for this reason. You can find independents who will go point to point and work faster than the big guys.

If all that doesnt appeal to you, driving it or shipping it, consider uhaul. usually you can rent a truck and trailer for a couple hundred and take it yourself. so fly/drive/bus/train/burro/ankle in and get signed up for truck and trailer at the uhaul, pick up your purchase and drive home, drop off the truck and trailer local.

I recommend in person pickup because then you SEE what you are buying. I have only reneged on ONE deal, lost my deposit but the truck was grossly misrepresented. Like others have said, use the forum to find a local guy to check it out for you, take all the pictures you would take, kick all the tires or fenders or stray cats living in the seat.

most memorable trip: 72 2002tii in orlando, 23 hrs @4100 rpm, straight through!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #12
Dans1960SWB

I have found out that some peoples opinion of say a rust free truck can differ GREATLY!!! I drove 600 miles to look at a SWB that the guy swore up and down was rust free....it was a POS!!!! Rotted out, motor ran like it was a V-8 missing half the pistons,body work looked like it was done by a kid in fifth grade...pop rivets,bondo,im talking BAD!!!! The guy argued with me when I was ready to punch him in the mouth...If this same guy was selling a truck and you talked to him on the phone you would think he was selling a really nice truck...
Dans1960SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #13
jayoldschool

I went one further. I bought my truck from a different country, sight unseen. Of course, I did my homework. Talked extensively with the seller, got pictures of everything I wanted, and when I was comfortable, committed to buying. Paid by paypal, funded by credit card (not bank account). Had title and bill of sale sent to me by courier. Truck was shipped from Arkansas to the US/Canada border, I drove down and picked it up.

jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote