The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #76
FarmerSid

Re: Starting a new build...

Any updates gearhead? I just set my D44 under my frame tonight and I need to make a new C notch to get it as low as I want. My rear toe bar links hit the frame on both sides. Looking at some of your pictures it looks like yours are close to the frame too. I may have to look into lowering them in order to get the frame set to the ride height want. Looking to go 4-5" clearance under the running boards. What are your running board brackets set at?

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632938

Last edited by FarmerSid; 11-26-2014 at 06:55 PM.
FarmerSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:57 AM   #77
gearhead2069

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerSid View Post
Any updates gearhead? I just set my D44 under my frame tonight and I need to make a new C notch to get it as low as I want. My rear toe bar links hit the frame on both sides. Looking at some of your pictures it looks like yours are close to the frame too. I may have to look into lowering them in order to get the frame set to the ride height want. Looking to go 4-5" clearance under the running boards. What are your running board brackets set at?
Hey Sid, yea progress is fairly slow as I've been pretty busy and my schedule really isn't working in my favor. Still making progress just nothing that I feel is good enough to post. I have gotten the frame flipped over and welded up the bottom side. I was finally able to finish up with cleaning all the old brackets and hardware off of the frame (I never even want to look at another rivet again!). I "C" notched the front of the frame for the rack and pinion and got that mounted. I have been playing around a bit with the stock sway bar that the c4 came with but I'm not liking how it was going to look in the end so I put in an order for a universal torsion bar that I think will look much better. Just waiting for that to come in so it can be fitted and I'll be ready for the BIG step with purchasing the crate motor. The closer I get to it, the more I start second guessing my decision about putting a 6L80/90 behind the engine. I know I want to go with a 6 speed but man... I keep salivating over the idea of a manual transmission. The only thing holding me back is the question of whether or not I would be able make it have short enough throws for a sporty feeling shift.

Yep, the toe bars are really close on mine also. Unfortunately the Flat-Out instructions really give no explanation nor provide any hint of awareness over this issue. I have been looking around and a few guys have used what they call a "flip kit" which turns the mounting location on the diff and the shackles upside-down but I can't find these anywhere. I also worry about how it would mount because the ends are cone shaped... And I feel that it was probably for a reason. I've seen other guys just notch the frame, so I think that may end up being my route.

Let me know if you find any better solutions.
gearhead2069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #78
FarmerSid

Any updates man?

Old 04-06-2015, 11:53 PM   #79
gearhead2069

Quote:
Any updates man?
Hey buddy. Yeah, it's been a little slow at it here recently. I've gotten a few things done but nothing I felt worthy of a post. Figured I'd just wait until I get enough done and make a big post. I've separated the inner cab shell so I can get to all the hidden pockets of rust. I've also removed the fire wall and the inner kick panels. I'm kind of in a tool gathering stage right now. Picked up an English wheel and a bead roller along with a few other little things that hopefully will help me out with some metal work here in the not so distant future. I've started soda blasting but as of recent I haven't really had decent enough weather to actually get it finished. Seems like the lovely month of March has been giving me nothing but rain and only on the days that I have off... I guess that's how it works right? How about yourself?
Old 04-07-2015, 09:57 AM   #80
FarmerSid

Sounds like some good progress. New tools are great arn't they? I picked up a planishing hammer and bead roller too. Was busy all winter coaching hockey and when I did have a bit of barn time, I only stayed out for short periods of time as it was too cold and the propane fumes would start to get to me. I got my new C notches in and am at a stand still as to what I should do next.

Still working crazy hours?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #81
FarmerSid

How's things going? Any updates? I got my rear end in and frame is almost complete. Curious on your progress.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #82
gearhead2069

Quote:
How's things going? Any updates? I got my rear end in and frame is almost complete. Curious on your progress.
Hey buddy. Glad to hear that you are getting things done! As with me, however, I've gotten more hardware installed in myself than I have in the truck. Schedule got set back a bit on account of having to have my knee bolted back together after blowing it out while getting some yard work done. I was really sad about it as the moment it happened my FIRST thought was "Damn! There goes my T56!!!" I was literally a week away from grabbing my transmission. Oh well, everything has a reason I guess. Other than that, I haven't really been able to finish up my firewall because I was wanting to get my tranny and at least a mock block just so I know the demensions for a more clean build. My plan is to set the engine as low and as far back a possible without eating into a whole lot of cab space and without dropping the pan below the frame rails. I realise that these trucks aren't exactly built for weight distribution but I figured every inch would count. So... Until I get those two, I'm kind of having trouble pulling a blind trigger on getting the cab wrapped up.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #83
Miatafanatic77
Account Suspended

Thumbs up Re: Starting a new build...

Hey guys - you might find it useful. Found car auction with great Corvettes for sale. Found there car for my project [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Palf70Step; 06-26-2017 at 04:50 PM. Reason: suspected spammer
Miatafanatic77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #84
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Scumbag spammer miata^^^^^ reported^^^^^
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:25 AM   #85
Nick_Prime

I have a solution for them.

[IMG][/IMG]
Nick_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #86
solidaxel

O K, some of us are looking for some updates!

Have you healed up with your knee?
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote