The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
hbchevy

to bag or not to bag....70 lwb.

Hey everyone,

Thought I would start a build thread as I hope to keep this thing up to date with updates. As I hope and like us all to keep working on it weekly. Low down on the truck is its a 1970 long bed c10 sbc. 350/th350. Rust in the usual places like rockers and floor board. Truck has never been cut into and has been converted to 5 lug disc in front and 12 bolt rear end... has freeway gears and as you might be able to tell that the previous owner was primer happy as he painted everything....and I mean everything!

Plans are to drive it daily almost and the rear is leaf sprung. As far as the front foe now I plan on bags in the front and rear for as low as I wanna go I think static drop wont be good for daily and on these ****y California roads.

Want to put either a bolt in 4 link in...probably triangulated as that was what I bagged my trucks before.

What are your thoughts for us leaf spring guys.

Scott

Posted via Mobile Device
hbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
hbchevy

1970 lwb from OC.

Hi everyone,

I started a build thread but do to the title I think the moderators moved it so I restarted. I picked this truck up on fathers day..told everyone it was what my fathers day gift from my 8 week year old daughter lol.

The previous owner was a happy with the primer rattle can type of guy and painted EVERYTHING! Lowdown on the truck is it is obviously a 70 longed already converted to a 5 lug and disc in the front and 12 bolt in the rear. Sbc350 with a th350. Its got rust in all the usual places like the rockers and floor board. Its got also aftermarket ac system and powersteering. Its a leaf spring truck as well.

Now I have been a avid offroad racer and offshore racer and am a bmw technican by trade so I have the mechanical know how

I want to dump it on the ground on some wide whites and make it a cruiser...

Probably be a daily driver and was wanting to low with it but how low I think ill run into problems going static being ill drive it all the time...

What are your guys opinion on bag setups from going from leafs???

Thanks in advance for any replys or comments

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
hbchevy

1970 lwb from OC.

Hi everyone,

I started a build thread but do to the title I think the moderators moved it so I restarted. I picked this truck up on fathers day..told everyone it was what my fathers day gift from my 8 week year old daughter lol.

The previous owner was a happy with the primer rattle can type of guy and painted EVERYTHING! Lowdown on the truck is it is obviously a 70 longed already converted to a 5 lug and disc in the front and 12 bolt in the rear. Sbc350 with a th350. Its got rust in all the usual places like the rockers and floor board. Its got also aftermarket ac system and powersteering. Its a leaf spring truck as well.

Now I have been a avid offroad racer and offshore racer and am a bmw technican by trade so I have the mechanical know how

I want to dump it on the ground on some wide whites and make it a cruiser...

Probably be a daily driver and was wanting to low with it but how low I think ill run into problems going static being ill drive it all the time...

What are your guys opinion on bag setups from going from leafs???

Thanks in advance for any replys or comments

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
CharlesUFarley

Re: 1970 lwb from OC.

welcome to the forum. Your screen name caught my eye. I have a 71 burb and live in HB.....Which BMW dealer you work at?
CharlesUFarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
hbchevy

Haha right on ...I work at Crevier in santa ana..is there many other hb locals on this site? I saw a kitchen 68-70 red truck this morning at the frog house car wash.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2011, 03:16 AM   #6
CharlesUFarley

I dont know if there are many other OC guys on here. I don't post here very often as you can tell by my join date and post count. The reason I asked where you work is I am good friends with Marshall J. and Travis over at your Mini Dealership....lol. Small world. Actually, I know Marshall used to be at BMW. I'm not sure if Travis is at BMW or Mini now.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:43 AM   #7
TrkEnvy

Welcome from Las Vegas NV.. Good luck with the build and the little girl. I know my 71 C10 is coming slow mostly due to spending so much time with my 4 month old son.
TrkEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
hbchevy

- Charles, ok yea Travis is one of my buds...he works a could stalls down from me and Marshall Is his significant other lol, how is it you know them?

-Trkenvy...yea its the same way here ...my time to work on it is the morning or why she is sleeping Haha.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
CharlesUFarley

I've been aquainted with Marshall for several years through playing pool. within the last few years his g/f became very good friends with my wife. I just know Travis through Marshall. We all went to Glamis together back in March. I have an LS1 powered sand car....which, btw, is the other reason your post got my attention. You said you have been into off road racing for a while. What type?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: to bag or not to bag....70 lwb.

Do you have a budget for your suspension mods?
Does your truck need anything else,... MORE important than bagging it?
I would get your truck 100% in the reliability area,... and then move forward.
Static drop it first,... and then switch to bags.
(just my 2 cents)

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
texastrendz

Re: to bag or not to bag....70 lwb.

Here in Texas we call them the Texas two link, cheap and effective. Simple to make and will last forever. I personally have the factory trailing arms on my truck(two link) and a triangulated four link on my dually. They both work great if you set them up correctly. The two link has it downsides and the four link has its. And I do not want to debate this topic with anyone. LOL
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:08 AM   #12
hbchevy

Ohh ok yea Travis got hooked on the pool dealio through Marshall. As far as my offload racing, I have bee racing since like 03' in MDR and MORE...but the last couple years in SNORE. Will get more pics up tomorrow ..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
hbchevy

Still has the rochchester on there that is doing fine right now but cylinder 5 has a badly burnt exhaust valve and I have fresh set of 1.94's to put in so I am gonna do it this weekend along with new ram horns and exhaust...probably go with cherry bombs any cons to them? Use to running magnaflow or flowmaster.

Its a bummer the (po) was so primer happy cause I really like the blue of the truck and from what I can see there was no problems with it other that maybe the look he was going for...

Removed the dash pad and did some cleaning...will get some more pics of the inside too.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #14
hbchevy

Lolife and texastrendz, my apologies. I didn't see you guys responded to my post as far as reliability that's is a first and that will be handled after this weekend ( putting new heads on getting exhaust done etc...) as far as suspension my fabrication capabilities, they are good as I have built quit a few things from off road to water to on road ..Haha, again this truck will be a cruiser ...something I can put the wife and daughter in and cruise the beach but still drive to work everyday.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #15
hbchevy

Posted via Mobile Device

Got some needed parts today...

Decided to keep it with the ram horn setup just so I don't have to go through any headaches that I've heard other members going through...

Also while I had the truck on the lift today at work I snapped some more pics

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #16
hbchevy

Well today was pretty productive...as mentioned before the truck was only running on like 7 cylinders due to the burnt exhaust valve and so on. Well after getting the parts together...heads cleaned and ready to go on..new doorman ram horn manifolds and so on, started with getting the heads off and it looked like it was gonna be a easy day since me and my best mate got the heads off in about 45 mins...got the block all cleaned up and got everything needing to be gasket sinched done

Everything got all new felpro gaskets and also a new 160 degree thermostat.

There were some issues like the new manifolds came with no studs or no plugs for the the drilled air injection system that this truck obviously Dosent use.

But being that we were doing it at my buddies shop wich doubles as a personal garage and full service independent shop we were able to get it handled.

You can see the burnt and collapsed seat here

Tomorrow im getting the exhaust done and will post pics, plan on running it out the frame rails starting at the front tires...excited!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #17
hbchevy

Well got the exhaust all plumed and dumped before the rear axle, sounds so good with the cherry bombs on there. All 2 1/2 inch pipe, and was able to get it high enough up for when I bag it. Thanks for looking.

Posted via Mobile Device

My 70 lwb build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=472866
Old 07-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #18
hbchevy

Well today was a bit of success ...got my old tymer autometer gushes installed in the stock dash bezel, only put volts, oil pressure and water temp for now.

Also got to take the wife and daughter for the first ride in the truck!

Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #19
hbchevy

Yeah thanks MJ ...I really like the old Tymer autometers and how good they fit. Now I got to start addressing the rust issues as well as installing a aluminum radiator with dual electric fan setup.probably go with a champion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #20
50bomb

I thought I posted in here but any who..Nice lookin truck and very Glad to see another fellow Oc Local fixin up an old pickup.
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #21
hbchevy

Haha yeah I do that sometimes too 50bomb...what are you fixing up on the dirty grove? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #22
50bomb

A P.O.S 67 chevy c10 longbed. Been out of a job forever and no money coming in. I have no cars to drive. This is what I am depending on once its on road. So I am trying real hard to sell my 51 pontiac chieftain project to start getting the 67 going. I love these 67-72 cause they are real affordable on the price. Let me know if you nee any help. I am no brainiac but I would not mind helping out with extra hands.
50bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #23
hbchevy

Nice! Well I would tell you if you have any experience with front wheel drive cars...my work is hiring for a mini cooper tech. Also do you have any pics of the chieftain? I got a buddy that might be interested
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #24
hbchevy

Well not to much has been going on but did stop at classic industries and picked up a fan shroud and some rocker panels as well as some floor board panels.

Also hoping to get flip kit and springs installed soon!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #25
lowdown72

trucks lookin good keep it up