The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
Bravoaloha

The Midnight Rambler- '68 K/20

Hey everybody- first post here. (I'm hoping this thread will become a build thread in the near future, I thought this was the best place) I have been eying this truck for about a year now and have spoken to the owner a couple times about selling it. He was not interested in parting with her then, but I drove by yesterday and lo and behold- she had a big 'ol For Sale sign on her.

The owner does not seem to know what is wrong with it, which is scary for me as I am not familiar with these trucks. He says it runs, but has not been driven in years. It definitely has some rust issues, but I would be happy to get it tip-top mechanically in the near future and leave the body as is for the foreseeable future.

What do I need to look for before I get really serious about diving in? What questions do I need to ask? I think it could be a relatively easy and cheap project, but could also end up needing a lot more than I anticipated. Apparently the truck as some transmission that is rare and sought after.

I named her The Midnight Rambler after the song by The Rolling Stones. Just seemed to fit.

Guy wants $1000.00, Im going to offer him $800.00.

Should I pull the trigger?? I'm young, and just out of college. May not be the best decision financially, but my plan is to sell my dirt bike to cover the cost.
Bravoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
nds1968

Re: The Midnight Rambler- '68 K/20

Welcome to the Board

Looks like a decent truck from the pics. But as I found out by looking for a truck you need to crawl around and check it out meticulously so you know what you are getting yourself into. I would look at a truck, figure out what it needed and add up the cost

Heck how much would new tires for that truck cost? My biggest concern was the rust on the cab (above the windshield on the inside, firewall, cab support areas). I would plan on going over the braking system, steering etc. before I would start to drive.

Good luck, Nate

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
Bravoaloha

Thanks Nate. After perusing craigslist I think I can get some ok BF Goodrich All-terrains for $4-600. The cab is definitely rusty, but I am not versed enough to tell if it is past the point of no return.

Anybody know of a mechanic in the central NJ area that would be willing to come check her out with me? I would pay of course.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Bravoaloha

Can anybody else give their 2 cents on this truck?? Going back to possibly make the purchase this weekend, I would love some more insight.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #5
Bravoaloha

Ended up going for it! Bought the truck on Memorial Day and had her dropped off last week. Diddnt have too much time over the weekend to do a lot, but I did some easy stuff like new battery, hooked up an external fuel supply (Old gas is bad), changed the oil etc. Going to try to turn her over next weekend. Here are some better pics.

Found out its actually a K10, the previous owner gave me some bad info.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:59 AM   #6
67chevy1series

Where's the dash?
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Bravoaloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
Where's the dash?
Not sure- came with this custom job. Its stupid but I kinda like it. The dash will go back to original someday down the road when I do a real restoration. For now I just want to get her on the road.