The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
Groenys 57

brake question on my 57

I recently got my truck back from swapping it from a manual to an automatic. The swap took a little longer then I planned on. Long enough that there was not snow before the swap, now there is snow. When moving the truck from the garage to the trailer, I noticed that the back brakes did not work. I figured this out because they were still spinning on the ice when the truck was stopped. The front brakes held the truck in place while the rear tires were still spinning on the ice. I managed to get it to my shop where I jacked up the back and tried to bleed the rear. Fluid was coming out so I figured I was good. With it still jacked up I put it in gear and pushed the bakes. The rear tires were still spinning.
I removed the master cylinder cap from can see fluid in it but I'm not sure how much is supposed to be in there? It also looks very brown and old. I don't think it has been changed on the 15 years I have known the truck.
Should I just try to flush the whole system and start with new fluid and see if that helps? If so how do I go about Flushing all the fluid? How can I see if it is the brakes themselves and not just the fluid?

I know its a lot of questions but I'm new at working on my own vehicles and don't know where to start.
Groenys 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:31 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: brake question on my 57

Your wheel cylinders are probably froze up. The piston are stuck to the cyl. bore. Any time a vehicle has set up for a period of time, the brakes & fuel system will need to be rebuilt for all to work right.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
Groenys 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
Your wheel cylinders are probably froze up. The piston are stuck to the cyl. bore. Any time a vehicle has set up for a period of time, the brakes & fuel system will need to be rebuilt for all to work right.
It sat for probably 4 months since the last time I drove it. But it also wasn't icy on the road so I don't know if the back brakes were working at that time or if it was all front brakes stopping me. how does one go about freeing up the wheel cylinder?
Old 02-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Erics51chevy

A little more information would be helpful. Disk brakes or drum brakes?
Theres youtube videos on how to flush your brakes by yourself or with someone.
Erics51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
Groenys 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erics51chevy View Post
A little more information would be helpful. Disk brakes or drum brakes?
Theres youtube videos on how to flush your brakes by yourself or with someone.
Drums