The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
mdw

Big Blue's Build

And it starts, after driving this around for a couple of years, building my parts stash up and deciding which way I was going to go with this build the time has come to start. First thing I had to do was get the wifes, kids, and all other projects done so I could tie up my shop for the winter.

After seeing how others have done theirs, my plan is as follows, Lower it down with correct springs and shocks, Hydroboost braking, updated/newer seating, 5speed trans, complete rebuild of brakes and suspension, rust repair, paint, some engine mods (cam, intake, ignition) new wiring and maybe some other tid-bits along the way.

This is going to be a driver, not a show truck, I am saving all the wild ideas for the panel I want to build. Now, all this is done on a shoe string budget as I am a disabled vet that recieves a pension monthly, now having kids at home really puts a limit on the available funds so all corners that can be cut have been.

The "victim" starts off as a 1972 1/2 ton suburban with a 350/350 combo no air basic transportation. Here are some pics of the start, you can see my 14 year old boy helping me out with this.
Attached Images

mdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Average Joe

Re: Big Blue's Build

Cool ride. Love the slotted mags!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Looks like a good start! Quality time with the kids is hard to beat....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
mdw

Ok, not wanting to be a bore, I will skip the whole removal of the front clip, I have new fenders for it, I am looking for another grille as well. So out comes the motor which as you can see had a small leak or two and the pressure washer was fired up on the frame.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Any progress?
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #6
Advanced Design

Thanks for your service to the country! Cool truck and I am tagging along on your build.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #7
mdw

Well I must apologize, I have been working on the ol girl and making headway, mostly cleaning, degreasing, all that fun stuff, the Holidays took up more of my time than I thought it would, and I have also been contemplating a simple problem, I was given a 1968 panel body, no frame and no front end, now, I was looking for a panel when I bought the suburban, have always wanted one, now that I have one, I am thinking about taking the burb body off and putting the panel body on, my boy wants the burb but wants it a 4x4. I have a friend that has a 4x4 suburban frame and running gear for a cheap price. Should I pull the trigger and swap, get the panel up and going on the burb running gear and build the 4x4 with the boy? or leave things as they are. The body on the panel is in Great condition but I would want to replace the roof panel as someone put a sunroof in it. What do you all think? I did rebuild the front suspension, new lowered springs, ball joints, shocks, bushings,brakes, calipers, lines, turned the rotors, replaced the wheel bearings and seals, and brake lines
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
mdw

here are some more shots of the panel
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #9
Average Joe

If you really want a panel I say go for it. I would check with OSP or DMV to make sure there would not be a problem with obtaining a new title once complete.

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #10
mdw

Well according to the DMV it goes by the frame number. I did get a title with the panel body so I golden there. Having talked with a few OHP and local cops about what I am doing the major consensus is that when pulled over they check the vin in the dash or on the body, they dont want to root around in a greasy engine bay, scrapping crap of a frame for the number and with as many aftermarket frames, and front end grafts being done they figure if you spend the money on fixin it up and the numbers match the papers....Have a nice day. I can see a problem should a frame inspection be done if moving to a different state, but have never went through that.