The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #1
alan c. brawn

Smile 1970 C10 Solenoid Request for Help

I need some help before the rest of my hair is pulled out. My C10 has shaved door handles. I have new 75-pound pull solenoids, but the latch is still tough to engage so I ordered the Altman Easy Latch Kit. On the 67-71 Chevy C10 standard door latch, the solenoid is located below that on the door jamb to pull down and release the latch. With Altman Easy Latch for shaved handles, the latch needs to pull to the side. There does not appear to be a place to relocate the solenoid so that it is a side pull. Can anyone suggest a way to make it work or better yet sell me a custom fabricated part that will work with the Altman Easy Latch and fit in the 67-72 door.

Thanks from an old guy!
alan c. brawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: 1970 C10 Solenoid Request for Help

Have you contacted Altman to see if they have any suggestions?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
alan c. brawn

Thanks for the reply. I have emailed back and forth with them and they simply say to relocate the solenoid but as you probably know, there is no obvious place to put it to pull the latch from the side. I am surprised they have not run across this before and sell a bracket system to make it work. I did just reach out to them again so we will see if their engineering guy responds with any idea.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #4
alan c. brawn

Angry Re: 1970 C10 Solenoid Request for Help

I am so disappointed with the Altman Easy Latch folks. The sell a latch kit for shaved door handles on a C10. I assume folks are using solenoids . The problem is that other than the door jam below the latch, there is no place to locate the solenoids for a side pull. I guess I will just snd the kit back and try to use the stock latch.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #5
CTurner1978

Hey Alan,

Hopefully our last conversation cleared this up for you. Just thought I would shed some light on the topic here since it was left with no closure.

Our easy latch kits (Especially the shaved handle kits) come with two points for you to connect to. The lower hole is used for your inside handle and the upper hole is usually where people connect there solenoid.

Given the nature of a solenoid, it can literally be mounted anywhere in the door you choose to be the best (most convenient) place to mount it. After that, you use a combination of a braided cable and small pulley to accomplish your angle.

As you stated, we have gone back and forth about this, and I hope the drawing I sent you helped you get on your way. I just wanted to address it here, so that if anyone else is having an issue, maybe it will help.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
alan c. brawn

The problem is not the latch kit. It is first rate. The problem is where to locate the solenoid so that it side pulls. If you look at the door there does not seem to be a place to locate that or a pulley system to make it work. I am happy to pay to have one fabricated but nobody has come forth with any ideas or offers. The truck is in for a full rewire using American Autowire so I hope somebody comes to the rescue. The original latches are very tough to use as you know.