The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2018, 12:27 AM   #26
BRL

Re: White letters or black wall out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown7373 View Post
I know some of you will hate this, but my 72 Cheyenne came with white stripe and I have kept it that way. But if I was choosing between white letter or black, I'd go black.
That looks good on that truck!

I used to go with white letters out, and I took care of them so they always looked new, but it just didn't seem right when I saw someone else driving a truck by me slow one day.

Maybe I'm just getting older now.

Also I rattle can paint the inside letters black because at night at an intersection your headlights will light up someone else's tires with white letters on the inside, especially if they're making a left turn in front of you.

...it's all in the little details ya know.

BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:40 AM   #27
Boog
laying low

Letters in, letters out. You've got a 50/50 chance of getting it right. For you.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:57 AM   #28
bill3rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLM72C10 View Post
Pic added.. I hope. Having trouble getting it to upload
Posted via Mobile Device
I see that your decision has been made and your truck looks great! Black makes your rims stand out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
I like black out. I really can't see advertising some tire company (Same with license plate frames that advertise a dealer).
^^THIS^^
I hate advertising for some company for free! People wear clothes with huge billboards and put stickers all over their vehicles advertising for anything. When they start paying me for advertising, I will do it.

Bill
Old 08-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #29
72LB

Used to like white out but prefer black wall out now.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #30
Grumpy old man

I don't think these come with white letters ? 29 x 15.5 x 15
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #31
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I prefer black wall. The only white letters out that I like are BFG's. The lettering is small and not in your face. Back in the day Good Year had some really nice lettering too, dunno if you can still get that style though.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #32
Grumpy old man

Ms Grumpy has a Dodge ram short bed with Goodyear white letter out and my daily driver 1995 Gmc k2500 I run Michelin 10 ply white letter out . I think they look sporty on the right truck ?

I have to say the Michelins are waay better than the Goodyear tires

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #33
jocko

The phrase blackwall "out" (as opposed to just plain old blackwall) implies that you want to buy a specific tire that you like for some specific reason but are faced with the dilemma of white letters (or whitewall) facing out or mounting it with the blackwall out.

If one prefers blackwall, then why not buy an actual blackwall tire rather than mounting a raised white letter tire backwards and having folks look at your truck wondering why you have raised white letters facing inward? It IS visible and, maybe just to me, looks kinda silly. I've never, ever understood this. BRL touched on this by mentioning painting over the RWLs, and I've thought about doing that too when I found I did want a specific tire for some reason that just happened to have RWLs or whatever (as in, BFG's on my dd), but in the end, I just hunted around for a blackwall tire and went with that. Again, maybe it's just me, but the question would be "RWAL, whitewall, or blackwall tire, period." Not, white or blackwall 'out'.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #34
old51sedan

Your truck looks great with the whitewalls. My truck is in for paint as we speak, but will have the same rally wheels and whitewalls when done. I also would install blackwalls before the white letters. I ordered a short box 4 wheeler baby blue back in 76 with rally and whitewalls.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #35
swamp rat

If you order a tire and it has white raised letters they have to go out, otherwise order tires without white raised letters. Simple.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #36
volksworld

just order blackwalls? sometimes thats easier said than done....just had to put rubber on the wifes 68 plymouth sport fury....225 70 15 's.... and almost everything in that size by a us manufacturer was a lite truck raised white letter tire...just think how dumb a resto convertible would look with wranglers,destination le's,long trail ta's ,geolanders, etc....certainly didnt want anything asian and didnt have the cash for 300 dollar stuff from coker....it got generals with the white letters inside....at least its low enough you cant see them.....our trucks are a lot more forgiving with what you put on them....but i've always hated off-brand raised white letters....why would you want to show off that you put cheap crap on your truck?
Old 08-19-2018, 11:24 PM   #37
rustytruck50

I think it really depends on the truck and personal preference. I was a white letter outer for a long time, but when I put my new tires on, I went black out...just seemed to look right. Now on the flip side, if I was doing a restoration, I think I'd go for the double white walls.

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #38
Sawlog

Black out.
Attached Images

Sawlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #39
brown7373

rustytruck50, I have dual whitewalls on my 70 Bonneville convertible. Bias ply though, not sure if they make radials. I wasn't finished installing the trim in this picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by brown7373; 08-21-2018 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Add
brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #40
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3rail View Post
I see that your decision has been made and your truck looks great! Black makes your rims stand out more.

^^THIS^^
I hate advertising for some company for free! People wear clothes with huge billboards and put stickers all over their vehicles advertising for anything. When they start paying me for advertising, I will do it.

Bill
I never looked at it in such a cynical way. I always looked at it as proudly displaying a quality product I feel good about or a thing I do that gives me pleasure. I don't like the label on the outside of everything, but a logo or artwork I look at as decoration/artwork and it's relevant to my life. Also, when a company puts out a quality product, I enjoy spreading the word on a job well done for free. I see it as supporting a business for doing well. Kinda like the online reviews people rely so heavily on that I take with a grain of salt since you never know how realistic that person's expectations were when buying. People seem to expect too much more often than not. A stick just says I like it enough to put display a sticker or where a logo.

For me it started with surf shop t-shirts, then mountaineering equipment brands. Harley shop Ts are cool because they show where you rode. They start conversations, too. A Harley or other bike sticker on the back window let people know you were into riding bikes when not driving your truck. I come from back when all this stuff was less common and it was a way to identify with others into your thing.

I'd say since designer jeans, Izod, and all that crap in the late-70s, that the label and brand recognition thing has gone too far, but that's where good personal taste comes in. Just because it's out there doesn't mean you have to grab for it.
.................................................................................................... .......

As far as white letters on a truck goes, it depends. I have always gone with blackwalls, even when things were flipped in reverse from now with the majority running RWL. Always turned them in...and there was no other choice. Look at where RWL come from... the track. If you want to lend a vibe of competition vehicle, then RWL fill the bill. And race vehicles are where all the brand stickers come from, too. I've been away from doing stickers as well as RWL, but sometimes the right one goes a long way for coolness.

On my '92 work truck, one time, the tire guys messed up and put the RWOLs out. I was going to make them flip them around, then decided they gave the all factory high-option work truck a spark of playfulness... and possibly a factory upgrade. Also gave it a retro look.

RWL came out as an alternative to whitewalls and blackwalls were just a tire for those who didn't care enough to spend anything extra. Now that whitewalls are out of vogue you have people liking RWL less. We have been trained to like blackwalls now. So just go by the vehicle and the desired vibe, not a blanket "I hate RWLs". Doesn't that make it hard to enjoy auto racing?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-22-2018 at 08:10 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #41
Fldawg

If they are soild white letters i would go out, never been a outlined tire guy,also the color of the vehicle has something to do with it too
Old 08-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #42
mike88a

Your truck your choice. I am a black wall out guy!
mike88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #43
OregonNed

Our trucks look great either way..!
Old 08-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #44
scooterpimp

Raised whie letters give attitede..but thats my 2 cents..
scooterpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #45
jabborabbo

I kinda think that if the tires are on the original rims with original hubcaps then have the black wall out...if not, then it’s owner’s choice!
Old 08-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #46
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
For a long time I liked white letters out (depending on the tire) but for the past few years I have been a blackwall guy. Like you said though, it's just personal preference, so whatever you like is the way to go.
me too
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #47
cardude

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonned View Post
our trucks look great either way..!
x2