The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #1
nitrosport_5

Fuel tank install 1972 suburban

My suburban had a 45gal fabricated tank, the bolts holding it in are completely seized in the tank so I decided to put a stock tank back under it.

I Bought a tank kit from Summit that came with straps and everything I needed. When I put the tank up where it should go. The fuel filler neck is about 1/8th covered by the upper frame rail when the center lip of the tank is up tight against the bottom of the frame.

Am I doing somthing wrong, or is this just a case of garbage aftermarket parts? The filler and the vent are even coming out of the suburban, so why is the filler on the tank so much lower than the vent?
Attached Images

nitrosport_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:03 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Fuel tank install 1972 suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrosport_5 View Post
My suburban had a 45gal fabricated tank, the bolts holding it in are completely seized in the tank so I decided to put a stock tank back under it.

I Bought a tank kit from Summit that came with straps and everything I needed. When I put the tank up where it should go. The fuel filler neck is about 1/8th covered by the upper frame rail when the center lip of the tank is up tight against the bottom of the frame.

Am I doing somthing wrong, or is this just a case of garbage aftermarket parts? The filler and the vent are even coming out of the suburban, so why is the filler on the tank so much lower than the vent?

Don't know for sure but I would guess it's for a later model Suburban and they just figure it should work.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:51 AM   #3
lks dcvn

It's the tank - the aftermarket tanks have a straight fill neck and the OEM stuff had one that comes up and then bends around the frame (at least they do on Blazers).

There are a few fixes for this:

1 - find a decent OEM filler neck and connect it to your new tank
2 - adapt a fitting to the tank to get around the frame challenge - some have found aftermarket filler necks and others have used copper ells - see pix.

1st pic is the what the stock filler neck looks like - not like your tank right?

Here is a thread that shows the two tanks and where they are different - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=696624

Here is a thread where a user found a creative way to have it work with an adapter on the tank - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...5&postcount=67
Attached Images

lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:53 AM   #4
Bgrdmoose

*Edited*

I think you know he can't sell stuff on here unless he becomes a paying member....

LockDoc

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-08-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Bgrdmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
chevyrick86

Go to you-tube and go to "Brothers trucks" channel and they have a video that explains how to install these replacement tanks. I just ran into the same issues putting one of those tanks in my 1968 Burb. The replacement tank will work but you have to notch the frame where the tank fuel neck hits the frame.
Posted via Mobile Device
chevyrick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:17 AM   #6
kev2809
low n' slo

i think id try to avoid cutting the frame to make a tank fit. looking for a good stock neck from an old tank would be my choice...

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:50 PM   #7
volksworker

I just want to add that Ive now seen 5 of these fabricated 45 gallon fuel tanks including the one on the Brothers site and they must be a factory or dealer option.........tanks are made by same company that made the factory saddle tanks on my 72 longhorn. The square recessed head on the long thru tank mounting bolts is a giveaway. I have one of these on my 71 3/4 ton K20 Suburban and it is original according to first owner...part of a super tow package...I almost always see these in conjunction with a drawtite hitch thats fits nicely.
volksworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #8
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksworker View Post
I just want to add that Ive now seen 5 of these fabricated 45 gallon fuel tanks including the one on the Brothers site and they must be a factory or dealer option.........tanks are made by same company that made the factory saddle tanks on my 72 longhorn. The square recessed head on the long thru tank mounting bolts is a giveaway. I have one of these on my 71 3/4 ton K20 Suburban and it is original according to first owner...part of a super tow package...I almost always see these in conjunction with a drawtite hitch thats fits nicely.
Are you talking about this style 45 gallon tank? The original owner told me that it was dealer installed (and he was the Service Manager for a GMC/Chevrolet dealership for close to 45 years). I had it out being pressure/smoke tested while I replaced the rear sets of body mounts...and this thing is close to 400 lbs full! Maybe this is your 6th sighting?

Woody

Name:  IMG_1503.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  50.0 KB
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:32 PM   #9
Bigdav160

Very very common dealer installed aftermarket tank. I cannot recall the company.

I've seen dozens of them.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote