The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #1376
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Congrats on the new home and more importantly a new shop!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:56 PM   #1377
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Sleeper View Post
Congrats! now the real fun starts, getting moved in.
Barely started with that. Been cleaning and fixing. Finally got hot water today. Had to get an electrician to figure out a few other problems. My first full truck load today was almost all tires from my basement for the jimmy and 4wd crewcab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Congratulations. Good luck with the move and settling in.
Thank you, hope to have the move done before labor day. That way I get a little time to "settle in".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Glad it went through. Now everyone can park their crap at Mike's place!
Absotively posilutely!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Mike, I'm glad you were able to get the new place! Congrats! That is going to be so nice!
Eventually it will. The amount of maintenance just to get the place decent is intimidating. Making daily progress though. Could really start moving in anytime now. You'll have to come check it out.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:14 AM   #1378
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Congrats on the new home and more importantly a new shop!
Thanks, about the shop (3 car garage)... Found out yesterday the south side of the roof has a few leaks, so I ordered some steel roofing to put on it. I have to tear the ceiling out to add insulation after I fix the roof. Got it cleaned out last night and today. The main electrical into the bldg was upgraded but they disconnected most of the old outlets and lights, so I'll be doing some electrical work. Then I need to work on the garage doors.

I really like the place but there is so much to do. It'll be easier when I'm living there.

The future shop is at least a year away from reality but here's some of what I'd like to do. The 36x98 machine shed needs a floor poured and I'd like a heated slab. I plan on installing a geothermal heat pump system for the house and have the ground work done for enough capacity to do the shop also. As much as 2/3 of the building will be walled off as the heated shop area. I'll get a 2 post lift and have room for a lathe and milling machine. I might put a homemade paint booth in there somewhere. I'd like to build a good sized powdercoat oven. Time and money and determination.

That's the plan as it stands today. If the plan changes I think it will only be for the better, not to pull back.

BTW, my driveway is long enough to hit freeway speed and have room to stop no problem and the circular driveway around the one car garage is great for drifting around..
Old 01-04-2017, 06:21 PM   #1379
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Wow, been a while since I posted here. I've made a few posts on a couple other of my threads, but nothing here.

The past few years I was able to take a nice road trip in my truck and documented it here. 2016 wasn't going according to plan. As I've posted on the other threads, I had to make an involuntary job change. I didn't have much vacation time to use and with making 2 house payments for a year, I didn't really have the cash to take a trip either. The new place needed a seemingly unending list of repairs done, the list of completed things grows, but the to-do list seems to stay about the same.

I've accumulated more project vehicles during that time also. Trucks, cars and bikes.

But THIS project (they are never really done are they) didn't get much love this past year. I really do feel some guilt about that too. It got used though, which was a definite plus. The heater core started leaking. Not a lot, just enough to fog the windows. I bypassed it. I did buy a new one, and also bought a new electric cooling fan for the engine. It has two fans which are staged. I bought a better one to use as a primary fan and will keep the old one as a spare. But those parts haven't been installed yet.

The one area of this truck that has always been an issue is oil leaks. During the restoration I tried for the umpteenth time to correct those problems and it was better for a while, but still an issue. The engine runs fine but leaks so much oil I'm worried about maintaining pressure for another road trip. My plan was to swap out this engine for one of the new direct injection engines in the current new trucks in the not too distant future, but I need to do something now. So I'm swapping in another sbc.

I picked up a rebuilt GM crate engine from a college up north for a song. Unfortunately it's just a standard late 80's TBI truck engine with boat anchors disguised as cylinder heads. The stock cam won't impress anyone either. I told myself it's not worth the effort to change the engine if I'm taking a step backwards in power, so I'm correcting that deficiency.

I had a 1990 suburban I was parting out. I took the leftover hulk to the local yard and traded it for a vortec cylinder head. I bought the other head. A friend of mine (who also helped source the new engine) can do some head work so I bought a head upgrade kit that includes new valves, springs, etc to allow up to .470 lift on the vortecs. The exact same kit I bought to use on my Jimmy 350. It worked great and was only $120.

I also bought a new vortec intake manifold, gaskets and cam and lifter set from Summit to finish the engine build. It's the 1104 cam from summit. I used the 1103 for the jimmy 350 and really liked it. That one had a different profile for intake/exhaust, this new one uses the same profile on both lobes (the higher lift/duration). I really think it's going to wake that anemic short block up and should be a significant improvement over the 283 with 305 heads that's in the truck now.

Another issue with my current set up is the stock torque converter. It works, but with the new cam I need to step up on the tranny a smidge too. So I ordered a 2000 stall converter. Nothing wild but will make the take offs a little more exciting. And I can fix the leak behind the converter while I'm at it.

It'll be a few months before it all comes together. I've got several other projects going on at all times but it'll be ready for another summer road trip. I saved all my vacation days from last year and plan on taking a trip somewhere this summer. Maybe in the other truck (79 crewcab) but this is really a pretty easy swap. Once I actually get going on this I'll post the progress with pics and everything! I'm just excited for the upgrades and had to share.

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #1380
Low Elco

This oughta be good!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:30 PM   #1381
1972CheyenneSuper

Cool build and awesome story to go along with! Spent the better part of three hours going through this. My body aches just reading about all of the sanding you did on that body, but it it turned out awesome. Subscribed for the next chapter in this.
1972CheyenneSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #1382
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
This oughta be good!
It oughta be, but we'll see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972CheyenneSuper View Post
Cool build and awesome story to go along with! Spent the better part of three hours going through this. My body aches just reading about all of the sanding you did on that body, but it it turned out awesome. Subscribed for the next chapter in this.
Thanks and welcome aboard. It'll be slow progress. A few pics for now but as long as it's done by spring I'll be happy. Spring comes late up here.

For instance, today it's about 0F and I was out swapping garage doors on my one car garage. Picked this door up for $150 off craigslist. Well insulated. The door is just set in place with some nails holding it up until I get the tracks on. The heater is running in there now. That's where my 79 crewcab is waiting for it's rebuild.

Here's the new engine...

The heads are already off. I'll probably finish pulling the cam out this weekend. It's been rebuilt, .030 over pistons installed.

The parts I ordered are already here so I need to haul the heads up to Mikes place sometime soon.

I forgot this engine was missing the harmonic balancer, so I'll be ordering one of those soon.

Time to go back into the garage and finish installing that garage door.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:10 PM   #1383
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice new update Mike! Is the crew cab a tight fit in there?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #1384
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Nice new update Mike! Is the crew cab a tight fit in there?
Not too bad, couple feet in back and front. Plenty wide. Still a struggle to heat it up in there. This below zero and single digit crap can end anytime. Supposed to get up around 30 during the days next week.

This engine is not as good a deal as I had hoped. The wear parts were replaced but it wasn't put together very well. I found several problems just looking things over so said screw it and pulled it apart.

I started noticing problems when I pulled the oil pan.

Do you see the problem? The metal rail piece was supposed to be on the outside of the pan, not between the pan and gasket. What an oily mess that would have made.

Next, I pulled the timing chain cover...

They didn't put much effort into cleaning the old gasket off. The new gasket came off easy with the cover. There was about 1/3 of the old gasket still on there.

Then I noticed this...

That didn't bode well so I pulled a piston out...

Could have at least cleaned the carbon out of the ring grooves.

Then looked at the hone job...

Not even close to a 50-60* cross hatch. It's almost flat.

So I pulled all the pistons...

Some had a little more effort put into cleaning them up, but not much in the areas that matter. And I found this issue on #1...

And #2...

The journal got hit with the rod bolts during assembly...

There is a high spot there to file off. And one or two of the rod nuts was a bit tight coming off...

Galled thread, probably cross threaded to start then it straightened out, but the damage was done. But the problems were still coming. How about this rod/piston...

I could barely move that rod. For those of you that don't know, the piston pin is pressed in through the piston and rod end, but it's only supposed to be tight on the rod end, not in the piston. That needs to be free to move.

I doubt that this engine would have lasted long enough to do the break in of the new cam. Good thing I know what I'm looking at and my son works at an engine shop. We checked bearing clearance and it's in spec. I check one cylinders ring gap and it was in spec, on the loose end, but in spec. The pistons seem alright, a little grooving on the skirts but not too bad. I'll clean up the cylinders with a file on the bottom edge and the hone. My son took the stuck rod to work today and said they will press the pin out, hone the piston and re-install. Should be ok. And he'll bring home a couple rod bolts. And borrow their hone. And ring groove cleaner.

Oh well, nothing that can't be fixed. At least I'll know what I got after I put it back together.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #1385
Low Elco

Jeez. just wow.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #1386
71' Custom

I feel your pain on that engine. I had a similar situation, I bought a TBI 350 from a local high school shop teacher. Didn't like the look of it after tearing it down so I sent it to an engine rebuilder to have the lower end rebuilt. Put a new set of GM Performance Vortec heads on it and ended up with this:
Name:  1392992_825215890826197_196394670_n.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  41.2 KB
After I installed it, I kept having a problem with the starter coming loose. Come to find, the block was cracked right down one of the starter mounting holes. I was not a happy camper.

Project: Under Pressure II
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=559720
71' Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #1387
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Man, sorry to see all that mess. It's a really good thing you tore into it though!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 01-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #1388
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71' Custom View Post
After I installed it, I kept having a problem with the starter coming loose. Come to find, the block was cracked right down one of the starter mounting holes. I was not a happy camper.
Ouch, was it repairable in that area?

Quote:
Man, sorry to see all that mess. It's a really good thing you tore into it though!
Even better that I know what I'm doing. I can take some shortcuts with it but I'd like it to be fairly reliable.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:21 PM   #1389
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

My son got the sticky piston pin fixed yesterday. And brought home a ring groove cleaned, so we got that chore done. Today he got new rod bolts for 2 of the rods. The pistons are soaking in the parts washer. We'll clean them up soon and get the rings re-installed. His shop hasn't used a drill mounted honer in many years and they couldn't find it. So I'll either have to ask around some other guys I'm pretty sure have one or pull the crank out and have the machine hone it. Costs more, but oh well, it needs to be done. No rush since the heads won't be ready for awhile (dropping them off tomorrow night).

And I ordered another dozen windows I'll need to get installed in the house. That'll eat up a few days worth of shop time.

Found this old CB in the rafters of the 1 car garage...
Old 01-18-2017, 07:58 AM   #1390
Low Elco

I think you can rent a dingle ball hone at one of the big parts houses.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:16 PM   #1391
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
I think you can rent a dingle ball hone at one of the big parts houses.
Probably, but I ended up borrowing one. This weekend I honed out the cylinders. That's about it. Going to take the block to the shop my son works at to get it cleaned up. After I get it back I'll check the gap on all the rings. If they are too wide I'll order a new ring set and start reassembly.

Mike is going to try and get my heads checked for cracks this week. Not much to say. The short block should be ready to go in a the next couple weeks.

Added a pic just because I like this one, although I wish I had wiped the dust of first.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2017, 02:44 PM   #1392
mcbassin
Still Learning

Man, that was a tough series of pictures....Bummer you had to double check the basic jobs of engine building....
Hope you get that all straightened out. Glad to see you back in here HG.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:58 PM   #1393
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Man, that was a tough series of pictures....Bummer you had to double check the basic jobs of engine building....
Hope you get that all straightened out. Glad to see you back in here HG.
Oh I never really left. I have other builds going on. Check my sig.

The block is cleaned up and back in the garage but I'm on the road and have to wait for some new parts to show up. I ordered some bearings, new harmonic balancer, intake bolts, plastigage, a push rod length checker. And about 5 minutes after I submitted my order I remembered I wanted to get a windage tray.

Since I'm also working on a LS motor swap on my 79 and figuring out the accessories on that, and seeing my leaking power steering pump on the 71, I'm thinking about upgrading my accessories on the 71 also. Should do the serp belt set up if I can find one in the junkyard. I should only have to swap pulleys on the alternator, new PS pump, but I'm not sure if my water pump will work or not. Oh well, I have time to research it.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #1394
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Yesterday I put the down payment on my dream car.

http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/mk4-roadster/

Last Friday I got an email from Factory Five that they were going to have a sale. 10 car kits marked down to their 1995 price of $9990. About a $3000 discount. I got the 9th one of those 10. I earned a bonus at work that I received Friday. I did my taxes on Sunday and even though I'm not getting a refund, I'm not having to pay in nearly what I was expecting. I had money set aside for that. I'm not well off, but I make decent money. I've scrounged and saved and did as much work as I'm capable of myself on home improvements, car repairs, etc. to save money.

I can talk myself into just about anything I want to and justify it to myself in many ways.

I have a lot of projects to finish before I get started on that one, but I wanted to share my good news with a group of people that will totally understand and appreciate how significant of an event this is for me.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #1395
EZ SPEED

Congrats !!!!!!!
2016 Camaro SS - Satin Pearl Nero wrap
My 2010 Camaro SS Magazine feature (SOLD)
http://www.superchevy.com/features/g...of-perfection/
EZ SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:30 AM   #1396
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Congratulations

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #1397
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Hey, that is totally awesome! Congrats! That is a dream car for me as well. Will this one be any longer in the passenger compartment area? I have had serious thoughts of selling a thing or 2 to get one. Maybe later on.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 02-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #1398
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ SPEED View Post
Congrats !!!!!!!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Congratulations
Thanks!
Quote:
Hey, that is totally awesome! Congrats! That is a dream car for me as well. Will this one be any longer in the passenger compartment area? I have had serious thoughts of selling a thing or 2 to get one. Maybe later on.
What? Like a 4 door?

From what I've read the factory five cars have an extended footwell. I'm not really tall at 5-11 or so. I could put a race type steering wheel (quick release) to ease exit/entry.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:19 AM   #1399
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got the crank back in the block and checked the ring gaps. Should be ok. I cleaned the pistons up, got most of the carbon scraped off. Should be able to get the short block back together soon. Then it will sit until the heads are back.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #1400
tune_1

Great to see things are working out and I like you new project. Hope that you plan on having a thread in alternate tinkerings to document the build. I would enjoy following along.

Dwight
tune_1 is offline   Reply With Quote