The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2003, 01:43 PM   #1
TooMany2count
Who's in CHARGE??????????

what front suspension do you have???

I'm wanting to finally put a front suspsension under my 48 1ton burb.
I have seen lots of mustang2's under 48-54 chevy trucks & panels.
Have seen a few torsion bar suspensions under some 55-59 chevy trucks & panels but never under a 48-54, has anyone done one of these, cause if you have I would love to see pics
BUT I have yet to see a dodge dakota suspension under anything, but I do know they make kits to do it.

SSSOOOOOOOOO folks my QQQQQQQ is this what do you have under your truck & how do you like it & how well does it handle............joe

&&& come on folks I have asked this QQQ a few times & NO answers, what gives no 47-54 chevy truck owners here???????
Donate Blood,Plasma,Platelets & sign your DONORS CARD & SAVE a LIFE
TooMany2count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 06:27 PM   #2
48suburban

Cool

I have built several of these trucks with MII front ends and they work great. The MII track width is a good match, Camaro subs are too wide Novas are closer, but subframes are harder to put in correctly. We put 15000 miles on one with a Mii without any problem. We use the 11 inch GM brakes, and a 79 up mustang power rack, and the drive great. I am also fond of the fact that you do not cut you stock frame in half to use a MII, so the stock radiator mounting stays and ypu shouldnt have any sheetmetal alignment woes. I think that the chrysler torsion bar is too wide to fit under the Advance Design series trucks, although some one used to sell a Pacer front end kit. We worked on a F 100 witha Pacer, and we had trouble with getting the right brake components. Ther were several possible set ups,and not any real good way to determine the right combo. I tyried to get some info from the Dakota guy, Industrial suspension I think is the nameof his outfit, but they gave me the run around about a catalog. That left me wondering about the service I might recieve. 48suburban
48suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 08:15 PM   #3
Phatt 47

I got started on my project by buying a frame that had a Camoro clip on it,as it turns out the job had been done right. but it was not narrowed, so I had to tackle that problem. I put narrowed Fat Man tubular a arms on with Air Ride air bags. Everything seems to be ok. I have had the front end alignment work done and there were no problems.How ever the truck has yet to be driven so time will tell. If I had it to do over I would have gone with the mustang. Easy to work with and plenty of parts available.Keeping the stock frame means every thing hangs on stock brackets,I had to make all that. I have way too much money and time in this procect,but Im in too deep to back out now.I am sharing a shop with a guy who is building a 49 sedan delivery. He has a mustang on it and it has been less complicated than mine has been.
Phatt 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 11:27 PM   #4
TooMany2count
Who's in CHARGE??????????

I think what I have decided to do it pull my 1ton frame & lenghten a 1/2ton frame. the weight difference is about 950lbs when it rolls of the line, BUT the difference in the body wieghts (1/2ton to 1ton panel body) is only 45lbs, so it shouldn't be a problem with big brakes to stop it. so I think its going to be a M2 front suspension in it.............thanks for the info...joe

if anyone has any info please post it because a mind can be changed ittf someone has a better idea
Donate Blood,Plasma,Platelets & sign your DONORS CARD & SAVE a LIFE
TooMany2count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 06:27 PM   #5
Rob Dundrea
Big Block Power

Rob Dundrea is offline   Reply With Quote