The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #26
CLASSIC87'
OL BLUU

Re: 07 Silverado Tire PSI Monitor going crazy!

Your local dealer can turn the TPS off per your request... mine did anyways. I like my truck so much more now the TPS is disabled.
CLASSIC87' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #27
poncho_villa

Every six months I would get my tires changed on my 07 Silverado - summers to winters and visa versa six months later. This ritual was becoming a real pain, especially when the tire shop damage the bead and I had to buy another matching tire. This happen twice. The upside was they could recalibrate the TPS as part of the change over. BUT this year I pulled the trigger and bought four aftermarket wheels to mount my summer tires onto. I also sprung the cash for sensors installed at $40 each. So in the fall when I need to get the winter tires with factory wheels on, I know I'll have to go through the process of "re-learning the tire locations" as per the instructions in the manual, but that is a cake walk.

Last edited by poncho_villa; 04-11-2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: more info
poncho_villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #28
bighaas79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC87' View Post
Your local dealer can turn the TPS off per your request... mine did anyways. I like my truck so much more now the TPS is disabled.
Actually they are not supposed to. The use of tpm sensors was enacted by the government, in a safety act, and is federal law. Disabling the tpm is akin to disabling the airbags or removing the catalytic converter. It's against the law technically speaking. Not to mention a huge liability. Should you get in an accident with the tpm disabled on your vehicle you can bet some crafty lawyer can use that to sue whoever disabled it and whoever had it knowingly disabled. So If you go to the dealer and they disable it per your request (technically they are not supposed to do it) but both you and the dealer can be held liable should something happen. However there is a loophole with the installation of aftermarket wheels that gets around this. When the gov. enacted this there were so many aftermarket wheels that were not designed to handle the sensors they got an exemption. How long that loophole will stay open who knows.

Now how often do you hear of someone getting in trouble for disabling? Probably never but it is a possibility.

Last edited by bighaas79; 04-13-2011 at 07:09 PM.
bighaas79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:04 AM   #29
Andy4639
Old member

I had the tires rotated the other week. Senor started reading 80 PSI. Had them reset it still read 80. Let the air out and then put it back by tire gauge to 40 PSI. Turned the key and it want read at all now.
This is about the sorriest equipment I have seen on a GM product in a long tiime.
Called Chevorlet dealer local to me and they want $150.00 to install new senor. I took it to them 4 times over theis past winter and all they did was shoot the senor and said it was fine. Now it's out of warrinty and they want me to pay for it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote