The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Jackogr

New guy w/71 K5--question on fan removal + tank

Hi friends,

I'm new here--just picked up a '71 K5 from Texas and tearing in to get her running. It's a 350 SBC mated to a 700r4 with Holly 600 carb. I'm no mechanic, but I've owned a C3 vette (sold it after bringing her back to life) and still have my '72 Nova SS clone (my baby). I do most of the work myself, but this K5 is giving me headaches at every turn. I'm used to Eddy 1406 carbs, so this Holley is strange to me. I had it running but now i'm fouling plugs like mad and can't keep her running (blue/black smoke). I'm starting at square one--empty the tank, new gas, fresh plugs and replacing the leaky radiator while at it. Reset the carb and hoping for success this weekend. However,.....

I'm stuck at the damn fan removal. It's stock clutch and shroud. On my C3 I recall it came off just fine, but these 1/2 bolts are not budging. Three days of hitting them from every angle with PB Blaster has done nothing. Any tips on getting these off? Too tight to get a a socket and breaker bar in there--working with a couple of 1/2" wrenches in opposite directions and nothing.

Then the empty of fuel tank. I picked up a transfer pump but can't get the hose around the bend to the tank. I removed the small breather (i think) hose from the top drivers side of the tank to try the smallest of hoses but that didn't work. I really don't want to pull the tank--could i remove one of the two lines on top side of passenger side of tank and siphon from there? I really don't want to pull that tank down if at all possible.

Otherwise, she's going to be fantastic some day. A little surface rust, a small hole in driver pan and few spots on rockers, but boxes, frame and original panels are really great. Looking forward to getting over these initial hurdles!

Top left clockwise (stupid fan bolts, lines top tank passenger, line top tank driver (couldn't get line past 1") and Texas patina-heavy K5.
Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Jackogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
1rippen6

Re: New guy w/71 K5--question on fan removal + tank

Can you take the fill hose off and the tank it will be a shorter run to get around the bend.
1rippen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
Jackogr

That's a good idea on the fill neck! I'll give it a try. The fan solution--I ended up taking the water pump off completely in order to get it in a vice to get those bolts off.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
hemi43

Heat is your friend. Get the propane torch out and heat around those bolts. They will come out.
You may get more replies if you didn't post in the build section, BTW.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
Jackogr

Thanks for the tip on both accounts, Hemi.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #6
7D2N

Looks good and welcome. I say yes to heat also. I have had a few bolts break so take your time.