The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Best Brake line Kits

My wife has asked me if theres anything I want for the truck for christmas and I have said I would like a full set of brake lines as mine need replacing before the truck can go back on the road. I have all the other bits to do a full refresh on the brakes (drums) so all new wheel cylinders, a new master, new mounting hardware plus all the bits to add power to them. Only bit missing now is a new set of hard lines.

I want to go stainless as then thats done and dusted. Who makes the best stainless brake line kits, is it still inline tube? I do need someone that wil ship to the UK though. I have had that conversation with inline tube and they confirmed they will do so. Is there anyone else to consider? I need a kit for a 1967 long fleetside with power drums.

Thanks for your help.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
EA69TRK

Re: Best Brake line Kits

I got a full set of stainless from inlinetube for my 1969 but it is a disc/drum setup and it was a good fit. I had to do a few minor tweeks to the 2 lines running across the front cross member I will absolutely use inlinetube again.
EA69TRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
Cape Codder

Is this the only project you plan to do? If you think there will be more restoration work in your future you should ask for a good tube flaring tool and a tube bender. The inexpensive hand type work fine and with practice will give professional results. Buy your tubing by the roll and a handfull of fittings and give it a try. I hold the new line next to the old line and mark the bend with a sharpy type marker, draw a line on the outside of where you want the bend and put it in the bender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fmF9mm3hsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo95bjm7WFM

My bender is a very old version of the one in the second video but still does the job.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:18 AM   #4
Howitzer

I used both Classic and Inline Tube. Fail for both of them. One kit i sent back and the other i ended up using only a couple lines, the others were not even close. Buy the flaring and bending tools and make your own!
Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:55 AM   #5
Orangetonicclicc

I just purchased a set from Performance Online (POL) they should be here tomorrow. I've never had a problem with anything I purchased from POL and I'm hoping that the trend continues. I will let you know how it goes or you can just check my thread down below in the next couple of days
Orangetonicclicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #6
JointTech

i got SS from inline tube. I had to swap the front kit for some reason i dont remember but it fit pretty good. I wouldnt say it was perfect but a hell of a lot better than making all those bends myself. If I was going to do it again I would probably get that hand bendable stuff. im going to do that for my fuel line.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Over here stainless is pretty much never seen. I've never made brake pipes myself so it's probably time to learn, I have one of the hand held flaring kits, its actually an old French Army set I found at a flea market in france and very good quality as most military tools are. For this many connections though would it be worth biying one of the cam type flaring tools? I'm sure there will be other projects in future so a good tool is always an investment. If I did them over here it would be done in Kunifer (copper/nickel/iron) tubing which is soft enough to bend easily but more resistant to cracking than pure copper with all the same corrosion resistant properties. I already have a small hand bender for brake pipes.

If thats the case I need to know what size tubing I need and what size/thread etc the unions need to be as mine will be rusted beyond re-use. I would use brass fittings.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #8
Cape Codder

Most brake lines are 3/16" and sometimes have a 1/4" line running to the rear before splitting to 3/16 If you still have the old lines use them as a pattern to bend the new and they will fit as the originals. I live in New England and brake lines rust terribly around here so you get good at replacing them quickly. The fittings on the end are called flare nuts and couplers are used to join two sections together. Don't use the compression fittings with the ferrels
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
jjzepplin

I am going to make my own. Seems to have worked out on my 4x4 and should be fine for my 2wd. I am going to reuse most of the old flare nuts but can get them at AZ if I need to. Any that are boogered will not be used. I have 73 front discs and 70 rear drums so the only lines I will buy pre-bent will be the master to prop valve shorties.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA69TRK View Post
I got a full set of stainless from inlinetube for my 1969 but it is a disc/drum setup and it was a good fit. I had to do a few minor tweeks to the 2 lines running across the front cross member I will absolutely use inlinetube again.
X2!
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote