The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Hook'em

Issues starting

I had a new engine put in the truck about a year ago. In the last 3 months or so, I have had some issues getting the truck to turn-over. The battery is new and once it engages, it starts pretty easily. Sometimes when I turn the key it takes a second for the starter to engage. Today, I had a 20 minute period where turning the key did nothing but make one of the idiot lights come on. No click, no nothing, complete silence. I wiggled some wires behind the ignition to no avail. I eventually wiggled some wires around the distributor cap (HEI) and then it started. I'm not sure if wiggling those wires made a difference or if it was purely coincidental. Once I got back home, I started it several times, but a few times there was the delay.

That's my back story. My question has to do with what I need to check (maybe what order) to determine where the problem lies. Trying to figure out if the starter is going out, if there is something wrong with the distributor cap, if there is a wiring issue...

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Issues starting

Maybe start by cleaning up the contacts where the wires go on the starter and grounds and battery cables too you cant have too clean a contact as far as wires are concerned just wiggiling things is a poor try
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
Maybe start by cleaning up the contacts where the wires go on the starter and grounds and battery cables too you cant have too clean a contact as far as wires are concerned just wiggiling things is a poor try
what he said
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
beetle1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
what he said
what they said...if you still have issues check solenoid.
1970 Chevy C10 Fleet Long
1972 Chevy C10 Step long
1985 Chevy K10 Fleet Short
beetle1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
MagmaJct

I HATE intermittent problems. Especially when I need a helper.

If I had the symptoms you are having, I'd do the following checks:

A helper will be almost mandatory. While attempting to crank, check the battery voltage at the terminals. Does it drop at all? Check the voltage DROP from the positive terminal to the positive terminal cable clamp. Do the same for the negative side, both tests while trying to crank. Voltage DROP should be near 0. If it's anything radical, like 11 volts, there's your "smoking gun".

Next, I'd check the DROP from the positive terminal to the starter terminal. Be careful in case it starts cranking! Next, check to ensure voltage is actually getting from the ignition switch, to the solenoid. You can also check for DROP there as well.

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.

Last edited by MagmaJct; 11-09-2014 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Typo Correction.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
Zeke's Garage

This is kind of working backwards, but I'm usually without a helper, so you have to get creative.

Get a remote starter switch, something like this, should only be about $15 at most parts stores. Then you connect the remote starter to the large battery connection at the starter, and the other lead to the solenoid switch, usually the one next to the block with the purple wire on it.

MAKE SURE THE TRUCK IS IN PARK OR NEUTRAL! I've nearly run myself over twice doing this... Yes that's a sad statement for so many reasons.

Hit the button on the remote starter and see if it engages quickly and completely. If so, then your solenoid should be good, as are your battery connections.

At this point check the connection at the purple solenoid wire, and trace it back up the harness to the plug on the firewall and make sure there are no breaks or rubs through the insulation. If you've got an automatic, check the neutral safety switch for contenuity and poor adjustment while trying to start the truck and 'wiggling' the shifter lever between park and neutral.

I'm betting you'll find a weak spot on the wire going to the solenoid while you're testing. Most likely you'll find a huge wad of electrical tape covering up a splice done with wire nuts and lamp cord, if you're fortunate enough to have a truck as nice as mine
Megasquirt Fuel Injection
T5 5 speed conversion
Ferric Oxide impregnation throughout
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote