The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #1
rbarr4

1950 Chevy Truck Rocker Panel

I am working on my first project truck a 1950 Chevy. Currently working on the cab sheet metal. I don't have any rockers panels in my cab, they had been cut off prior to my purchasing it. I have purchased new rocker replacement panels from Classic industries.

I removed a lip of metal from behind the lip of the floor panels that I believe were what was left of the original rocker panels. This tells me the rocker panels sit behind the lip of the floor panels. Kinda of a question since I have nothing to go by. My issue is I need to locate the new panels front to back on the floor panel. Don't have any reference of where that should be. The panel also seems like it could be tool long. How do I Properly locate these panels? FYI I also have the inner cab corner cut out of the cab at this time.

Thanks for any help or reference you can supply!
rbarr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 1950 Chevy Truck Rocker Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarr4 View Post
I am working on my first project truck a 1950 Chevy. Currently working on the cab sheet metal. I don't have any rockers panels in my cab, they had been cut off prior to my purchasing it. I have purchased new rocker replacement panels from Classic industries.

I removed a lip of metal from behind the lip of the floor panels that I believe were what was left of the original rocker panels. This tells me the rocker panels sit behind the lip of the floor panels. Kinda of a question since I have nothing to go by. My issue is I need to locate the new panels front to back on the floor panel. Don't have any reference of where that should be. The panel also seems like it could be tool long. How do I Properly locate these panels? FYI I also have the inner cab corner cut out of the cab at this time.

Thanks for any help or reference you can supply!
The rocker does sit behind that lip. The problem I see is all that was cut out with no bracing so you no longer know if your door opening is to spec.

Is any of the floor still there? If you put a door in the opening does it fit well? or is there a smaller gap at the top than the bottom?

look at these it may help.
http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/media/Owencab/

The picture shows where the pillars should be at the indents and should be no more that 1/8" to 3/16" from the pillar so when you weld it up you no longer see that indent.

So make sure the door fits well with nice gaps 1/8" to 3/16 and even all the way round. then clamp up your rocker and tack it in. measure each side to make sure you have it where it should be
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #3
rbarr4

Re: 1950 Chevy Truck Rocker Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
The rocker does sit behind that lip. The problem I see is all that was cut out with no bracing so you no longer know if your door opening is to spec.

Is any of the floor still there? If you put a door in the opening does it fit well? or is there a smaller gap at the top than the bottom?

look at these it may help.
http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/media/Owencab/

The picture shows where the pillars should be at the indents and should be no more that 1/8" to 3/16" from the pillar so when you weld it up you no longer see that indent.

So make sure the door fits well with nice gaps 1/8" to 3/16 and even all the way round. then clamp up your rocker and tack it in. measure each side to make sure you have it where it should be
Floor is still in the truck, and door opening is braced the bottom of each pillar is bad so that was cut loos from the floor but I do have reference and bracing for where those locate to the floor.

I do see the indents you are speaking of on the rocker. I assumed that was close to the location of the pillars. The pictures you supplied will be very helpful!

I had good door gaps before I cut the pillars loose at the bottom but will recheck that before I go crazy welding. I think they have to be good relitive to each other since they are welded together with brace. Thanks very much for the reply!
rbarr4 is offline   Reply With Quote