The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
CSHADES

1940 windshield gasket

I know we have batted this topic around a few times but for some reason I can not find the answer to it. On Friday afternoon it decided to rain fairly hard while I was at work, needless to say I had my truck here and when I got in I had major amounts of water collected in the bottom trough of my new dash. I turned the corner and the water came rolling out on my floor. So my question to you guys is --- who makes a good fitting windshield gasket for 39-46 trucks? the one I have in there now I cant remember where it came from but it really never fit very well and has always leaked. I also think the center of the windshield doesn't fit as tight to the body as it should, I don't think I will be able to do much about that other than replacement of the frame. I think after being together for 20 years the bars that slide into the frame are probably not going to come back out to bend them a little straighter. I have been thinking about installing a chrome frame anyways, but I still want to find a good gasket before I do anything.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
paintman

Re: 1940 windshield gasket

Not sue if you seen some of my posts about Steele products. I didn't like the fit of my 46 gasket at all. Seemed way to small for the channel. Now it sits in the corner of the garage collecting dust.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
CSHADES

So did you find a gasket that actually fits and works as intended?
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
dennislbrooks

I need to do a drench test on the 42 and 46 to see if I did any better. The 42 has an oem frame and the 46 an aftermarket. The aluminum aftermarket center fit the 42 better than the 46 --will have to massge the 46. 42 gasket came from chevs of 40's. The 46 from Carters. I had an experienced window shop cut glass install windows and gasket to frames.

Last edited by dennislbrooks; 07-25-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: words
dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
paintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSHADES View Post
So did you find a gasket that actually fits and works as intended?
No. I ended up re-using the one that was on the truck when I bought it. Not sure if it's original, but it fit better then Steele's. I'm sure it leaks though as I can see one spot where my windshield frame doesn't lay flat against the cab. No big deal to me though, mine only goes out in the sunshine.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote