The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2004, 10:50 AM   #1
mj 55

Lowering a 55 chev 1/2 ton

Can I get 5 or 6 inch drop and keep the straight axle???..help please!!..I'm also looking for a driver side rear fender with no spare ...I have a nice stock one with spare to trade, or I will buy outright..thanks
mj 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 07:17 PM   #2
john j

I would say you could. Someone now makes a dropped front axel.Can't remember who. Then you would also have to use mono leafs.If you check some of the old Classic Trucks mag's you should find a write up in there. I don't know how well it would work. johnj
Old 05-10-2004, 03:05 PM   #3
jrad

front or rear?

California Classic Parts (CCP) out of Southern California makes a kit to drop the REAR axle (moves it from below the leaf spring to ontop of the leaf)...I just put one on my '57 three weeks ago, and it dropped it a total of 5.25" in the rear, it cost about $90 and comes with new U-bolts, weld on brackets, and new weld on shock brackets...I just cut off the old brackets with a grinder and welded on the new ones..if you don't mind it being permanent, it is an affordable way to go, plus makes it look SICK! Anyways, as far as the front suspension goes, CCP does make a dropped axle for the front, but I chose to go with the mono leaf...it's just one leaf that has a 3" drop to it, but after i drop the engine back in and get the cab and stuff back on, I figure about a 4.5 drop....the tech at CCP said that with the rear drop kit that I got, the mono leafs in the front give it a nice level stance...the mono leaf was $350, but I think this is better than a dropped axle, because I will still have more clearance from the ground to the standard axle...by the way, the rear kit they called a 4" drop, was actually 5.25, so i figure the 3" mono leaf in the front will be more too, when I get it on....
jrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:40 PM   #4
john j

Did you have to c-notch the frame for the kit? Also what rear axel are you using?johnj
Old 05-10-2004, 05:54 PM   #5
jrad

no c notching, I used the stock axle...but the axle tubes are thin, so one must be careful when grinding....'55-'59 chevy/gmc are the same chasis...this methode was good because it was economical, no new leafs, no new shakles (just ruber gromets), no expensive 4 point suspension...we'll see how it rides though, i won't be haulin' anything in this truck though
jrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 10:56 AM   #6
KDG

Do you have any pics of your set up? Also, is there a link to CCP's site?

Last edited by KDG; 06-19-2004 at 11:05 AM. Reason: adding something
KDG is offline   Reply With Quote