The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2017, 12:52 AM   #26
oem4me

Re: looking for opinions

Found your SPID in photos posted back when it was for sale.
Ok, this is interesting... Your C20 is equipped nearly the same as a Custom Camper would have been, though I don't see tinted glass or 16" wheels listed on the spid (even though both appear to be present, no?). I also noticed a heavy rear spring is listed, which is not included in the CC package, I don't think.
So, minus the side badges, it looks like you got everything the Custom Camper package included and more. Lastly, maybe chrome mirrors may have been desired over the painted versions that came with the Z81 option. ?
Hmmm ... something tells me the truck was purposefully ordered WITHOUT the Z81 option so that another item wouldn't be excluded.
Experts? Anyone?

Compare these.
Attached Images

oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #27
denverslim

So,,,,,although, the spec tag says C&C equipment, and it appears to be set up much as the Custom Camper, it is actually really badged as the C-20 with the heavy duty-ness of the CC? Just so I know...slim
Attached Images

denverslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:19 AM   #28
bonehead

Do a sympathetic preservation restoration, keep it as original as possible or sell it to me...FWIW
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #29
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverslim View Post
So,,,,,although, the spec tag says C&C equipment, and it appears to be set up much as the Custom Camper, it is actually really badged as the C-20 with the heavy duty-ness of the CC? Just so I know...slim
I'll admit it's a bit confusing that several available options could be abbreviated by using CC. There's Custom Camper, Custom Chrome, and then Custom Comfort which is what the Z62 C&C stands for on your build sheet.
Yes, your truck is a C-20 equipped very much the same way as a Custom Camper would have been, with the addition of heavy duty rear springs and a few other optional items.
Also interesting to note that most Z81 Custom Campers that I have seen are equipped with the big V8 (327) or big six (292), your truck has the 283. Not sure of the significance here.
Attached Images

Last edited by oem4me; 10-29-2017 at 02:01 PM.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:35 PM   #30
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Wow! The Chrome Cigar Lighter Option! Very important that they put that in the advertisement pamphlets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:02 PM   #31
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
I'll admit it's a bit confusing that several available options could be abbreviated by using CC. There's Custom Camper, Custom Chrome, and then Custom Comfort which is what the Z62 C&C stands for on your build sheet.
Agreed. it is confusing, basic sales brochures leaves out a lot of details of whats included in packages and what was available a separate options and accessories. If the original salesman was not up to it, you really had to do plenty of research on your own, studying every piece of literature available. The custom camper package has no powertrain options included , so it was entirely up to the original buyer or dealership to order the most appropriate set up. As to the Z62 , known as custom comfort option or also custom comfort and convenience option (C+C}. The Z61 was known as the custom appearance package, (bright grille, windshield molding , trim plate moulding-sails,and horn ring). V 37 was the other appearance package, chrome front bumpers and hubcaps. Like you mentioned Oem4me, this truck appears to be ordered to carry a camper, without the custom camper option. This C 20 should have came with the standard 17.5" wheels, the SPID does not show 16" wheels. The Custom Camper package automatically comes with 16" wheels, and will not show up on the SPID. The 16" wheels may have been a shortly after sale upgrade by dealer.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:01 PM   #32
studeclunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedebris View Post
(colour enhancement mine, -Clunker)
Just my $.o2 worth. (probably overpriced at that LOL)

I'll echo some of what has been posted above. Dont mess with a really nice camper special survivor. Clean it and do some general maintenance and make is safe to drive then leave it alone.

Now personally I'm a fan of resto-mods. I like classic looks with modern performance. However some trucks demand to be left alone. With so many people looking and hoping for a nice "survivor" type of truck this one looks too good to mess with. If you want an older driver, fix and drive. If you are looking for something to modify and enjoy, I'd take this and sell to someone that is dreaming about this kind of truck and envious of your luck. Then find either a project that is on its way to what you like or find one that that needs to be made better. So many trucks you can look at just scream to be upgraded. This one however is screaming to be left alone.
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]Yeah, I'd agree with all of this except the line in red. The only modification I would make to that is SELL IT TO ME!!

Then I could have brothers sitting in the driveway!
studeclunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:36 AM   #33
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Very nice looking truck. Make it safe and enjoy the heck out of driving it.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #34
61K10

My Dad had one back in 65 or 66 white/4speed/4.56 posi/292. tk got around 10mpg. had an Alaskan pop-up camper bought at the same time from the dealer. Had split rims on it. Sure wish we had digital cameras back then lol.

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #35
Mathew21

Quote:
Originally Posted by old cruiser View Post
As others have said brakes and suspension make it safe but leave it otherwise stock.
In saying that , it's your truck you can do what ever you like and what ever makes you happy.

This is great advice.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:31 PM   #36
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
My Dad had one back in 65 or 66 white/4speed/4.56 posi/292. tk got around 10mpg.
Typical gas mileage for a 292 with a 4.56. A 4.10 ratio would have brought it it up to 12.Even thought the 4.10 was optional C 20 ratio beginning in 1963, a large majority of '63-'66 C 20's came with the standard 4.56.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:50 AM   #37
denverslim

I'll post gas mileage after I complete a tuneup...slim
denverslim is offline   Reply With Quote