The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2024, 01:36 AM   #1
ShinyC10

Wiper switch

After rewiring the truck, I ended up with only one issue. The wipers only work in “low”. Test I don’t care if the intermittent works, as long as low and high works. When “low” is on, I show 12-14v depending on the truck being on. When I try to turn them on “high”, they stop moving all together. Multimeter shows 12-14v still on the “low” side and 2-5v on the “high” side. Also, I’m showing 12-14v inside the cab at the fuse and 2-5v in the engine bay at the firewall so I assume the issue is in the switch? Pump for the washer fluid works too. Everything was pretty much plug n play with the AAW harness and I didn’t remove the column from the truck.
ShinyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 07:37 PM   #2
truckin 79

Re: Wiper switch

I just recently replaced mine and bought it from Amazon DS-414 for 37.00. I dont know about you but there is nothing more annoying then your windshield wipers squeaking on the windshield when the intermittent feature is not working. I suppose you could take your old switch apart and clean up the years of dry crusty dielectric grease on contacts but buying a new one was worth it to me.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:56 PM   #3
ShinyC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin 79 View Post
I just recently replaced mine and bought it from Amazon DS-414 for 37.00. I dont know about you but there is nothing more annoying then your windshield wipers squeaking on the windshield when the intermittent feature is not working. I suppose you could take your old switch apart and clean up the years of dry crusty dielectric grease on contacts but buying a new one was worth it to me.
Mine is in the column unfortunately. I’m in for a day of head ache I’m afraid.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:53 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

when you say rewire did you individually replace each wire or did you replace the harness.. There were a couple of different switches for the wipers if i remeber and its possible you may have the wrong one for the switch. I had a truck i needed to change the column out and had to swap the wiper turn signal switch to make the wipers work right, yet the colums were the same genre truck 81-87

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 09:07 PM   #5
ShinyC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
when you say rewire did you individually replace each wire or did you replace the harness.. There were a couple of different switches for the wipers if i remeber and its possible you may have the wrong one for the switch. I had a truck i needed to change the column out and had to swap the wiper turn signal switch to make the wipers work right, yet the colums were the same genre truck 81-87
So I installed American auto wires classic update kit. Pretty plug and play. The only wiring I didn’t replace was anything in the column. Everything worked before so not sure.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:40 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

theres probably an issue with the column wiring a needed wire is not there some kind of power to the wipers for the high speed

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:00 PM   #7
ray_mcavoy

When testing & troubleshooting, keep in mind that the wiper switch is on the ground side of the circuit.

The stock wiper motor wiring used white, gray, and purple wires. AAW often uses stock wire colors as well but check with your instructions to see if the colors vary.

The wiper motor receives power via the white wire when the ignition is on. The switch grounds a gray wire to complete the circuit for running the motor on low speed. When moved to the high speed position, the switch opens up the gray wire circuit, and instead grounds the purple wire.

So check to make sure the switch is providing a ground on that purple wire when it's in the high speed position.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 10:11 AM   #8
ShinyC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
When testing & troubleshooting, keep in mind that the wiper switch is on the ground side of the circuit.

The stock wiper motor wiring used white, gray, and purple wires. AAW often uses stock wire colors as well but check with your instructions to see if the colors vary.

The wiper motor receives power via the white wire when the ignition is on. The switch grounds a gray wire to complete the circuit for running the motor on low speed. When moved to the high speed position, the switch opens up the gray wire circuit, and instead grounds the purple wire.

So check to make sure the switch is providing a ground on that purple wire when it's in the high speed position.

I never quite understood how to check this? I get how to check for power but how do I check if a wire is grounding? Never understood that lol
Old 02-22-2024, 07:06 PM   #9
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyC10 View Post
I never quite understood how to check this? I get how to check for power but how do I check if a wire is grounding? Never understood that lol
It's the same basic procedure but with a change in the connection points.

As you know, when checking for power, you clip the lead from your test light (or black multimeter probe) to a known good ground. Then touch the test light probe (or red multimeter probe) to the point in the circuit where you're testing for power.

To check a ground, you clip the lead from your test light (or red multimeter probe) to a known power source (could be the positive battery terminal or a terminal in the fuse box that you have already verified to have power). Then touch the test light probe (or black multimeter probe) to the point in the circuit where you're testing for ground. The test light will light up (or multimeter indicate system/battery voltage) if the point you're testing has a good ground.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:28 PM   #10
ShinyC10

This is the two switches I have, I took out the module for now. I’m just noticing my new connector from the American auto wire harness has 5 wires and my original switch harness has 7?

When I line the two up, the brown and black wires on the switch side do not connect to on the motor side of things. I can’t find my service manual atm.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:38 PM   #11
ShinyC10

Quote:
It's the same basic procedure but with a change in the connection points.

As you know, when checking for power, you clip the lead from your test light (or black multimeter probe) to a known good ground. Then touch the test light probe (or red multimeter probe) to the point in the circuit where you're testing for power.

To check a ground, you clip the lead from your test light (or red multimeter probe) to a known power source (could be the positive battery terminal or a terminal in the fuse box that you have already verified to have power). Then touch the test light probe (or black multimeter probe) to the point in the circuit where you're testing for ground. The test light will light up (or multimeter indicate system/battery voltage) if the point you're testing has a good ground.

I moved a ground wire in the new harness on the motor side to line up with the original switch side harness and now the wipers work BUT do not turn off when the switch is in the off position. I’m getting closer! Currently, the brown and grey wire are not in use. I moved the ground wire on the left connector “up” one slot.
Attached Images

Last edited by ShinyC10; 02-22-2024 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Left out details
Old 02-22-2024, 07:46 PM   #12
ray_mcavoy

EDIT: I just saw your updated post. Yeah, looks like you're getting closer. You need that gray wire connected to get things working properly. The two brown wires are the ones you need to leave unused when not using the pulse module.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:57 PM   #13
ShinyC10

Quote:
EDIT: I just saw your updated post. Yeah, looks like you're getting closer. You need that gray wire connected to get things working properly. The two brown wires are the ones you need to leave unused when not using the pulse module.
I plan on using the pulse module actually. Just have it out for moving pins. So the wipers will stop if I push the wiper lever back to “mist” then go back to moving as soon as I let go
Old 02-22-2024, 08:06 PM   #14
ray_mcavoy

Okay, even for temporary testing without the module though, those brown wires shouldn't be connected to anything. They'll connect to the module (when you plug it back in), but otherwise shouldn't be connected to any of the 5 wires going to the motor/washer.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:13 PM   #15
ShinyC10

Quote:
Okay, even for temporary testing without the module though, those brown wires shouldn't be connected to anything. They'll connect to the module (when you plug it back in), but otherwise shouldn't be connected to any of the 5 wires going to the motor/washer.
You’re the man. I moved the other black and black/blue wires over a slot and everything works perfect. Put the module back in and the intermittent works perfect too. Thank you so much. I guess the plug came mis-pinned from the factory and I just went with it without double checking.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:06 PM   #16
ray_mcavoy

You're welcome! Glad to hear it was an easy fix with just having to re-pin the plug. But yeah, the plug being mis-pinned from the factory isn't something you would expect and/or be the first thing you'd usually check.