The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Handmedown

Transmission?

I Have rebuilt my 72 350 with some mild performance built in. The transmission was rebuilt and only has a few thousand miles on it. Here is the kicker the transmission was rebuilt ten years ago, just a few months before the truck quit running and was garaged. So it has been sitting all that time. I am sure the converter is same as stock I dont remember. So my question is what should I do to the tranny to get it ready for my nice new motor, should I use a different converter? Thanks
Handmedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Re: Transmission?

It's been said before...but there was a train of thought that you had a new converter with every trans rebuild, if it were me i'd feel better with a nice fresh TC, you don't want to undo all your money & time on that rebuild.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Autoblueprint

Post Re: Transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handmedown View Post
I Have rebuilt my 72 350 with some mild performance built in. The transmission was rebuilt and only has a few thousand miles on it. Here is the kicker the transmission was rebuilt ten years ago, just a few months before the truck quit running and was garaged. So it has been sitting all that time. I am sure the converter is same as stock I dont remember. So my question is what should I do to the tranny to get it ready for my nice new motor, should I use a different converter? Thanks
Are you saying that you just rebuilt your tranny?

Or do you mean that it was rebuilt 10 years ago and you just put a shift kit in it?

And...are you wondering whether or not you should buy a NEW stock converter or buy a NEW aftermarket converter?
Old 09-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
Handmedown

Re: Transmission?

The tranny was rebuilt ten years ago just before the motor crapped out, so it has been sitting. And was wondering about coverter stay with the stock or get something else
Handmedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
Autoblueprint

Lightbulb Re: Transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handmedown View Post
The tranny was rebuilt ten years ago just before the motor crapped out, so it has been sitting. And was wondering about coverter stay with the stock or get something else
I'd be a bit concerned about the seals in the tranny if it has been sitting for 10 years...it would probably be a good idea to have it gone through and resealed...even if it had fluid in it...the fluid would not have circulated so the seals and clutches that were not emersed in fluid may have a partial dry-rot condition and you only need one weak spot for the tranny to go "blewy"...the modulator is probably history too considering it has a rubber diaphragm inside.

This is how I built my tranny...this might give you some ideas:

http://www.autoblueprint.com/1971_pa...PageThree.html