The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
rs74

Anyone ever put burb windows in a panel?

I am supposed to buy back my old 60 panel come spring and was wondering if anyone has put the burb windows in one. Any links. Though I do like panels I am thinking if everything goes as planned making it into a vacation cruiser and would like to have side windows for the kids.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: Anyone ever put burb windows in a panel?

I'm not sure it is possible without serious fabrication. The panels have just an outer skin with framing while the suburbans have an outer skin and inner skin that is framed specifically to hold the windows in place.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
I'm not sure it is possible without serious fabrication. The panels have just an outer skin with framing while the suburbans have an outer skin and inner skin that is framed specifically to hold the windows in place.
I wasn't quite sure if it was something that could be done fairly easy or if it meant pretty much tearing out the whole side. My dad got this panel when I was around 15 and it was sold about 10 years ago. I put more miles on it than anyone else. Kind of sentimental. I am now 38 and financially in better shape and have growed up a bunch and want to get it back on the road,

I just like the look of the windows. I think they help break up the look instead of just being all painted panels. Unless one puts a mural or something in that spot the window look better IMO.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

the coach builders used these: I wonder if you could find anthing similar?
last shot is a panel inner panel
Attached Images

jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Brad54

They're the same basic structure... I would imagine you could find a wrecked and rotted Suburban with side windows, and cut the appropriate pieces out and weld them in to your panel.

You could even do a panel/burban hybrid by putting in just the middle windows, and leaving the back of the truck panel sides...

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
padresag

there was quite a bit of this at one time. I have it for 2 windows but turfed the other 2. they cust cut out the sheet metal and use the rubber to hold it in. there is a rubber locking spline that goes all the way around the window > i never had a problem driving it for almost 20 years. to much rust problem, found a decent suburban body
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
rustyrodknocker

If I was to do it I would do something besides the suburban factory windows. For that much work you can go with a urethane type installation. That is what I'm going to do with my burb. But it's a bunch of work to change the depth of the window flange. But the factory sliders are a lousy design. The fixed window is better but pointless if you are going to custom fab
Posted via Mobile Device
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #8
rs74

I was starting to think about topper windows. They are sliders but they are probably not tall enough to make it look right. I would want something that could be opened to let some air in. Might just be more work than it is worth.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 02-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #9
rustyrodknocker

Yea just forget it endless your wanting to let the water in too. Lots of panels have had a roof vent installed. Looks cheesy on some but you can let the hot air out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
rs74

We had two sunroofs installed some years back on it. One for the front cab area and one about 3/4 of the way back or so. Hated to see the roof cut up like that but they actually look good. With them both open from the outside it kind of gives it a surfer kind of look. I don't know quite how to explain it.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
rustyrodknocker

I had a sun roof. They don't fare well here. I have not seen good results from any cut in windows where the rubber is supposed to seal on the unreinforced exterior body. Water gets in from the out side rubber to body joint . Leaks then rusts. I cut the entire roof off of mine at the bottom of the pillars and put on a different one.
Posted via Mobile Device