The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
Guy67UK

Which harness

I have a 1967 C10 Stepside with a 350ci motor that I am in the process of rebuilding (very slowly). When I shipped it over from the States to the UK there was a large infestation of tin worm that has had to be dealt with before I could even think about using it, well am about half way through all the welding and just have the passenger side of the cab to do.

The wiring on the truck was lets say very poor, some owners over the years had done their bit others hadn't, it was an electrical fire waiting to happen. So I have ripped out the entire harness from front to back.
I have attached a couple of photos one of the state of some of the connections and the other is what I cut out from under the dash. The speaker wire was used to power the solenoids for the door poppers.

My question is, after looking at harness for the truck on line, which one is best and are there any out there that I should be avoided and why. If anyone has any recommendation could you please put a link to the harness that would be a great help.
Attached Images

Guy67UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
beaterku

Re: Which harness

I used American Auto Wire for my truck. It was extremely comprehensive and easy to install. I'd highly recommend them. It is great having turn signals and tail lights that work!

https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...-1969-72-truck
beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
68 P.O.S.

x2 on AAW. I've used them as well and have nothing but good things to say about them. M&H is another good company. I also used a Painless harness about 15 years ago and it was good as well.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

M&H is the gold standard for replacement wire harness. Most professional restorers that care about originality and are looking for concourse certification use M&H. They are exact as original equipment manufacturer. Every wire is correct gauge, color and have the proper ends. They are truly plug and play.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
68 P.O.S.

^ this. If you want factory plug n play, M&H is the way to go. If you want the ability to customize and add additional circuits, AAW is it. Both owners of these companies were in business together at one point.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:29 PM   #6
michael bustamante

are you needing the wire under the dash or under the hood. are you looking for a complete aftermarket kit or a good used?
Old 11-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #7
jeffahart

The link above is to the AAW classic update. There is a couple things you should know before you use it. They have a nice web site and you can read the install literature before you purchase. Anyhow, you will lose the external voltage regulator and the ammeter. It's not a stock harness, but it is a fun and easy rewire. It's a classic update - not upgrade(not sure anything is better). When I got mine the only issue was the headlight switch. They said there was only one manufacturer making them. I had to get a second one sent. I just recently swapped the old switch out. If you want easy, I don't think it can get any easier! Just check all your grounding. Get the crimper, a good wire stripper, heat shrink and I did a fair amount of soldering. I decided on loom tape and I used split loom in some areas below the dash and some areas in the engine compartment. You have options, pretty big after market for these trucks. Do whatever works for you. Have fun!

j
Old 11-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
M&H is the gold standard for replacement wire harness. Most professional restorers that care about originality and are looking for concourse certification use M&H. They are exact as original equipment manufacturer. Every wire is correct gauge, color and have the proper ends. They are truly plug and play.
Agree
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #9
Guy67UK

The truck at the moment doesnt have s wire connected as it is just about completely striped. So yes i am after a complete harness, but not a stock one as i have to add stuff such as, door poppers, electric fans, fuel pump and msd etc. All of the lights are being converted to l.e.d. and the front headlights will be on there own circuit to take the load off of the headlight switch. I would also like if possible to run the wires under the hood behind the fender just to tidy everything up a bit.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:13 PM   #10
j286

I also used the American auto wire kit 1970 c10. My first time doing a job like this and it was surprisingly very easy to install! I would definitely recommend this kit.
j286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #11
Auroch

I just rewired my whole truck using this kit: 10206 - CLASSIC-PLUS CUSTOMIZABLE GM PICKUP TRUCK CHASSIS HARNESS (1967-1972)
https://buypainless.com/products/10206

I'm a noob and was able to get a hang of it, all wires are labeled and color coded. It has everything you need for stock and gives you a lot of upgrading options supposedly.

Not cheap, but worth the investment in my opinion.
Auroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:21 PM   #12
Auroch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy67UK View Post
The truck at the moment doesnt have s wire connected as it is just about completely striped. So yes i am after a complete harness, but not a stock one as i have to add stuff such as, door poppers, electric fans, fuel pump and msd etc. All of the lights are being converted to l.e.d. and the front headlights will be on there own circuit to take the load off of the headlight switch. I would also like if possible to run the wires under the hood behind the fender just to tidy everything up a bit.
I'm also going for LEDs, where are you buying your lights? So far LMC seems to have the best selection + price, but still looking around.
Auroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #13
Guy67UK

I haven't sourced my LED's yet but most likely I will get them off of eBay or similar, unless I put another large order into LMC \ Brothers etc but that is doubtful.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:50 PM   #14
68 P.O.S.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/ They have every led you could want.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #15
68 P.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy67UK View Post
You want the AAW Classic Update harness then with all of the extras you're adding.