The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #1
bigc1066

Was a rough year

So after having the worst year ever (2016) here I am about to start working on my Grandfathers 1966 c10. He was the original owner till he passed 4 years ago, when I got it from his estate.
In July we had the scare of a life time. Went to see my PCP (primary care Doc) for what was believed to Be a hernia found during a DOT physical (I worked on an ambulance got them yearly) after being off a month I meet with thee. Surgeon how was going to fix it July 1. He tells me that it was no hernia,but was tumor and I had a 10% Chance it was NOT cancer. Let me tell you, when you have a 90% chance of cancer your life flashs before you. Had surgery the very next business day. Said he wanted me to enjoy my holiday, that didn't happen to much running through my mind. So July 5 I had the tumor removed. Said all went well but to stay one night. Well I went home just to return for an emergency surgery July 7. Like I lost a lot of blood and due to the location of my tumor it killed one of my "boys" making me half the man I was.
Well you would think that was it but in all since July I. Have had three surgeries and been out of work since June of 2016. But here we are fighting and cancer free. Tomorrow I will be starting a new job not on an ambulance but back in a production company working for Robroy industry. Kinda excited I worked manufacturing while in medic school and it wasn't bad.
So with all the past year has thrown we (my family have always turned to our church family and I have read a lot of the posts on here. Being that I was so tired many of my tools we sold to pay medical services. But with a new year, new job, and hopefully new tools my plan is to have my grandfathers truck not only on the street but nice enough to be my daily.

Right now it was factory brakes, transmission, a 350sbc short fleet. I want to do disc brakes, power steering, and move to a 6speed shift. I have toyed with the idea of a 454 being I only work 19 miles from home but only time will tell.
So what would y'all do for a suspension? I was thinking Pbfab level 2 air and once all in have everything powder coated. But have also looked at roadster shop being that for 12k all is done but the drive train (even comes with a new rear end. Wondering which route to go.
We are all payed up on my medical just lots of check ups. And are needing a second ride asap. I will be making around 2k a month and my wife works as well. But we will have to try to rebuild our savings and pay current bills.

Sorry for the novel
bigc1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
urmyboyblue

Re: Was a rough year

Sorry about the rough year but glad you are ok and have a positive outlook. As for lowering the truck, you might start out with either cutting the front springs and adding lowering blocks in the rear to get started with. You could also go with lowering spindles up front and convert to disk brakes while doing that. That would be the least expensive option. If you have to have air ride, there a several here that have done low buck air ride. Just depends on your level of interest in getting your hands dirty.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
Softpatch

Glad to hear your off to a great start for 2017
Not to be a debbie downer
if your cancer come back and you have to go through Chemo

Don't do like my father and double up on the dosage
...well a little is good a lot should be better...No Bueno.!
Or not like my brother Not take you meds at all....
he was 59yrs old (R.I.P. mark)
or the my other brother who wont take treatment at all
and is just taking it one day at a time

Yes 2016 was not good or 2015 for that matter
all my family should still be with us Today if they would have been
Diligent with the Doctor' Recommendation

R.I.P. Craig, Richard, Nancy, Don, Mom, Mark,
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
andyh1956

Well bigc1066 the next time I drink a beer it will be to your CONTINUED good health!
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:52 AM   #5
Rogue
Airport Bum

Hang in there brother, get to banging on that Heirloom 66.
I also have my Paw-paws '64 he bought brand new, building it as my daily.
We hope to get out of the Metromess in a couple years and make our way out that way.
Keep your eyes peeled for a Sky Blue short wide on those east Texas roads.
1959 Edsel Villager
1963 Skylark
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #6
duallyjams

My wife is a 10 yr and counting cancer survivor .

Personal I really like No Limit Eng chassis and components.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote