The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
BaroneDog

Can I remove only the core support and inner fenders?

Will the core support and inner fenders (wheel wells) come out clean when engine is out ?. I want to keep the fenders and grille attached. Just wanted to do some engine bay cleanup while engine is out and specifically sand blast the core support and parts of the wheel wells (especially the surface between the inner and outer fender). I want to be sure this can be done without messing something else up before I start tearing things apart. Thanks.
BaroneDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
zicc1835

Re: Can I remove only the core support and inner fenders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaroneDog View Post
Will the core support and inner fenders (wheel wells) come out clean when engine is out ?. I want to keep the fenders and grille attached. Just wanted to do some engine bay cleanup while engine is out and specifically sand blast the core support and parts of the wheel wells (especially the surface between the inner and outer fender). I want to be sure this can be done without messing something else up before I start tearing things apart. Thanks.
I never did it that way .....i know you can remove the inner wheel wells off without taking a fender off I'm not shore if you can get the core support out without taking at least one fender off and then you might be able to go up and out one side not sure....Im going out to my truck to take a look
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:26 PM   #3
BaroneDog

Thanks! Also, not sure if it makes a difference, but this is on a 1967.
BaroneDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaroneDog View Post
Unless I didn't see somewhere what year of truck you have, I can say I did that with my 56 truck. I infact removed the front fenders and the upper and lower radiator supports all mounted together. Hope this helps. Just a note, when you do this, it's going to twist some so be very careful and brace where you can across the fenders front and back. hope this helps.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:40 PM   #5
zicc1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
I never did it that way .....i know you can remove the inner wheel wells off without taking a fender off I'm not shore if you can get the core support out without taking at least one fender off and then you might be able to go up and out one side not sure....Im going out to my truck to take a look
be hard pressed without taking at least one fender off my opinion the grill will keep everything tight on both sided you may have to loosen those bolts so you can get some clearance let us know how you make out
Old 12-27-2016, 10:43 PM   #6
zicc1835

the 67 grill also has that gravel pan at the bottom may get in the way or at least thats bolted to the core support .....i have a 67 nose on my wannabe 71