The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2017, 11:37 PM   #1
joesscamaro

Gauge help

I'm trying to choose a set of gauges and I'm not sure what the difference is between the two sets I'm looking at. Can anyone explain? I'll copy and paste the description from each description.

1) Programmable Gauge Sets: The Electronic Gauge Sets include an electronic speedometer that is fully programmable for easy calibration with any tire size/axle ratio. Electronic sets include a electronic Speedo and tach and four electronic gauges

2) Mechanical Gauge Sets: Mechanical speedo and tachs and four electronic gauges.
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:40 AM   #2
jtrichard

Re: Gauge help

"Mechanical speedo and tach" means both are cable driven..... Tach would have to be driven off a special Distributor with tach drive gear (or other means)......Speedo NOT adjustable without changing the transmission driven gear (for rear end change and or tire size) others (speedo/tach) are electronic

Last edited by jtrichard; 01-05-2017 at 12:47 AM.
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

The stock speedo was a mechanical speedo. Has a shielded cable that plugs into the transmission tail-shaft. More explanation here (with links) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=1457065

The electric speedo will have a pulse signal transmitter that plugs into the transmission port where the stock speedo plugged into originally. Then wired to the speedo. It uses dip switches on the back of the speedo gauge to change tire to speedo output. As an example - http://www.mwrench.com/barth/Speedom...peedometer.pdf
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
joesscamaro

Ok, thanks for clearing that up fellas. I'm going with an LS/4l60 so I think the electronic set would be more what I'm looking for. Sounds like I'll just be able to plug that electric speedo right into my tranny.
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote