The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
kevmac

70 k5 front drive shaft

Will a 73-79 front drive shaft work on a 70-72? I'm new to the blazers and just. Got a 70 missing the front and was told a 76 front would work. Thanx
kevmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Jdubs71

Re: 70 k5 front drive shaft

I would either have one made or search the parts board for one. I'm not sure a later year would work. The frame lengths are a little different and the transfer cases are different. I would be curious to know for sure

"Common sense is not so common"

My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=555879
Jdubs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Banderian

The PO of my blazer put one ton axles under it and lifted it. The drive shaft wouldn't fit and wasn't on it when I bought it. I measured from the transfer to the center of the front pinion and took it to a drive shaft company. They made it the right length, balanced it, painted it, and put new u-joint in it. Perfect fit. $115 cost. Money well spent.
Banderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #4
kevmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banderian View Post
The PO of my blazer put one ton axles under it and lifted it. The drive shaft wouldn't fit and wasn't on it when I bought it. I measured from the transfer to the center of the front pinion and took it to a drive shaft company. They made it the right length, balanced it, painted it, and put new u-joint in it. Perfect fit. $115 cost. Money well spent.
Hey banderian, I love your town. My running buddy and I spend a weekend every year there riding motorcycles through the hill country. We usually stay at the cabins by the river off 173. Love the Honky tonks!!
kevmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:15 AM   #5
Banderian

Smile Re: 70 k5 front drive shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmac View Post
Hey banderian, I love your town. My running buddy and I spend a weekend every year there riding motorcycles through the hill country. We usually stay at the cabins by the river off 173. Love the Honky tonks!!
I love it too! That's why I live here. (That and family history here.) I love the Honky Tonks too. We used to be perfectly balanced here, 957 people, 7 bars, 7 churches, but two of the bars shut down.
And I ride my motorcycle through these hills regularly. Drop me a line when ya'll are coming back down and we'll drink a beer at one of our many establishments.
Banderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
Chulisohombre

I think the are two inches difference in the later driveshafts. The springs are two
Inches longer in the front of later Blazers so it has To make up that space. If you have a lift then it might work to fill in the gap from the lift. Pretty sure the ujoints are the same 1310 joints though so it should bolt up. You could take it to a driveshaft shop and get it Cut to fit if need be. Just measure the space from yolk to yolk between the transfer case and front end and go to the junkyard and find one. I heard the new super duty ones fit but I've never measured to see for myself.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote