The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
blown240

Alignment Changes in Reverse?!?

I am planing on removing some of the upper control arm shims to fix my front tires from leaning out on top. However today, after backing up a bit, I noticed that the tires lean in.

Is it normal for alignment to change between driving forward and reverse? If not, what could cause this? Only thing I can think of is loose wheel bearings....
Old 10-05-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
scum1

Re: Alignment Changes in Reverse?!?

mine used to do that as well..I just recently repaired a cracked frame from a poor power steering conversion and after everything was said and done it no longer "cambers in" in reverse. I have no idea why. i didn't touch the upper shims or anything.
scum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #3
blown240

That's wierd. My steering is totally stock. Just lowered the suspension about 4-5 inches.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
joedoh

stop driving.

jack the truck up and yank around on the top and bottom of the wheel. to me it sounds like you have bad balljoints, either upper or lower, and if so yanking outward on the wheel will allow it to move at the top OR bottom of the wheel and not the front or back of the wheel.

if there is a bad balljoint, when you are moving forward, the suspension will allow the wheel to be pushed in at the bottom and it will look like positive camber. when moving in reverse the wheel is pushed OUT at the bottom and the wheel will have negative camber. it also wildly changes your toe in and out, wearing the tire like crazy.

if you jack it up and the wheel can be pulled in and out equally at the top, bottom, front, and back of the wheel, you either have a bad wheel bearing or all the balljoints and tie rods are done for.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:15 PM   #5
jtrichard

I might add put the jack as close to the wheel (under the A arm) as you can, NOT the cross member so you take the spring load off of the ball joints. you can also take a bar and lift the tire/wheel and see how the lower joint is
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #6
blown240

Thank you guys so much for the replies!!!

I went out and lifted one wheel at a time.

The passenger side has play in the upper joint that I can feel when I wrap my hand around the upper arm and onto the spindle. Its not a lot, but enough that I'll put an upper joint in.

The drivers side ball joints feel ok, but there is some play I can feel between the brake drum and the backing plate. Hopfully this is just a wheel bearing that needs adjusted.

Tie rods feel ok.

Is the upper ball joint easy enough to change by myself? I will only do the one side, since money is REALLY tight right now.

Also, coincidentally or not, the side with the bad ball joint is the same side that has a 1" spacer on it. The spacer was removed from the drivers side over a year ago... Should have removed the passenger side spacer at the same time, but the lugs were too short on that side for my allow wheels.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:57 AM   #7
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
Thank you guys so much for the replies!!!

I went out and lifted one wheel at a time.

The passenger side has play in the upper joint that I can feel when I wrap my hand around the upper arm and onto the spindle. Its not a lot, but enough that I'll put an upper joint in.

The drivers side ball joints feel ok, but there is some play I can feel between the brake drum and the backing plate. Hopfully this is just a wheel bearing that needs adjusted.

Tie rods feel ok.

Is the upper ball joint easy enough to change by myself? I will only do the one side, since money is REALLY tight right now.

Also, coincidentally or not, the side with the bad ball joint is the same side that has a 1" spacer on it. The spacer was removed from the drivers side over a year ago... Should have removed the passenger side spacer at the same time, but the lugs were too short on that side for my allow wheels.
Wait, you have a wheel spacer on one side in front and not the other? And you have a balljoint that's hosed? You could have a few more issues that are not too readily seen. Id get the other spacer out of there (Ive never been a big fan of them especially the aluminum ones) and I'd get the ball joints figured out without a doubt. At that point, then see what your alignment is like. If you are noticing camber changes just going from drive to reverse, thats pretty sketchy and Id be more than worried driving it around until I knew that everything was solid. Like Joe said.. Stop Driving. At least until its safe.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:34 AM   #8
PGSigns

Jack it up and pull the wheel and look at the A arms where the bushing goes in it. Look for any that look like they are moving in the arm. There have been several threads showing issues where the arm is bad. What type of lug nut are you using on your wheels? You may just need ones with a longer shank.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:30 AM   #9
jjzepplin

Story-and lesson learned.
I got an alignment one day on my 66 SS Malibu. I was 17 and didn't have much money so when the fella said my lower ball joint on one side was sketchy and moved in the A-arm just a bit but was tight I should have fixed it. He should have grounded me and made me fix it!
I backed out of the driveway next morning about 3" when that ball joint busted through the A-arm. Had I been driving like a 17 year old it would have been catastrophic to others as well as myself.
Get that thing fixed. It's old and you cannot be replaced.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
blown240

Thanks for the replies!

I'll order a ball joint today. I checked the lowers last night and they seem good. They are the old bolt on ones, not the press in kind. This weekend I'll swap the joint, remove the spacer, and give everything else another check.

I work from home, so not driving it for a few days is no big deal. Thanks again for the help!

Quick upper ball joint question. Some websites say 60-70 is the same, others say 60-91. What is it?
Old 10-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #11
62gmcsbc

Hello I was wondering if you ever figured this out?
Posted via Mobile Device
62gmcsbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #12
blown240

Yup! Bad upper ball joint fixed the issue!
Old 10-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #13
62gmcsbc

That's great, thx for the reply
Posted via Mobile Device
62gmcsbc is offline   Reply With Quote