The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
jimbug

Doug Thorley Headers

I picked up a set of Tri-y's used from another member on this site. I called the help line and found they are for 73+ trucks, burbs, etc.
They have the collector tube that connects them to a single exhaust, and routs it to the drivers side.
My question is does anyone have any experience with these and if there are any fitment issues. I basically have the same drivetrain as newer model, but will there be any crossmember issues? I am guessing the only problem would be the engine crossmember....

This is my DD and reallly dont feel like fooling around with removing my exhaust just to find out they dont fit

If I can put them in then my exhaust guy will be able to route a system for me the same day, but I cant afford the whole trial and error runaround!

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!
jimbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
70rs/ss

Re: Doug Thorley Headers

I want to say no, they make a 67-8 and 69-72 header so I'd guess the 73 and up is different somehow?? is it 4X, if it is the one in you avi then maybe it will work as the 4X's didn't change that much??
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
jimbug

yeah it's a 4x4 Like I said I have the same drivetrain..... small block with a 700r4, so the only issue I forsee would be the engine cross member. The headers appear to be swept back. All the starters were the same size too. So I dunno, maybe I am putting too much thought into this?
Old 06-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
70rs/ss

One way to find out?!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
jimbug

So the answer is KINDA!?! I stuffed them in today and it only took 4 trips to the parts store!
It looks like the previous owners modified the Y pipe a tad... I don't know how much but it makes contact with the crossmember for the T-case. I will take it on monday to get the exhaust finished up.

I am still on the shelf about what muffler to use. I am considering a 24" Magnaflow... But I might end up using one of the 40 series Flowmasters on it now in order to save some$$$ We'll see. This conversion has taken more money than I anticipated