The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
Hart_Rod

6L80 TCC lock up... CLINBARGER HELP!!!!!

Well I thought I had the TCC brake switch lockup wiring figured out on my 2013 Camaro GEN IV 6L80, but no I'm not so sure.

I know the torque converter is locking and unlocking based on paramaters within the tune (MPH) as I have been data logging and and you can see the pressure increase (lock) or go to back 0 (unlock). However, if I hit the brake when I know the TCC is locked (pressure greater than 0), it does not cause the converter to unlock (pressure drop to 0). Am I missing something here? Here'a diagram of how I have the TCC wired up (keep in mind Gen IV's are opposite of Gen III's).

HELP!!!

EDIT: When the brakes are not applied, I measure 8vdc on the TCC wire. When the brakes are applied the voltage goes to 12vdc.
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Hart_Rod

Re: 6L80 TCC lock up... CLINBARGER HELP!!!!!

bump
Old 05-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
Daaaanz67

Subscribed.
Daaaanz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
88Ironduke

EDIT: saw this on the LS side of the forum...
Good luck
88Ironduke

My Build Thread: Project 72' Green
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587932

Last edited by 88Ironduke; 05-08-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: More reading
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
clinebarger

What does the brake switch status say in the engine data? Should change from Apply to Released when working the pedal.

On the old GenIII stuff (And earlier) Unlocked the TCC as soon as a release signal was sent, New GenIV's don't always work that way. For example, My '06 Duramax/Allison doesn't unlock under normal braking if I stay above 45mph.

The TCC brake release is solely a safety feature, If you can pull all the Bias from the rear brakes, Lock the rears down with the TCC engaged, If the engine dies....You have a safety issue.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
What does the brake switch status say in the engine data? Should change from Apply to Released when working the pedal.

On the old GenIII stuff (And earlier) Unlocked the TCC as soon as a release signal was sent, New GenIV's don't always work that way. For example, My '06 Duramax/Allison doesn't unlock under normal braking if I stay above 45mph.

The TCC brake release is solely a safety feature, If you can pull all the Bias from the rear brakes, Lock the rears down with the TCC engaged, If the engine dies....You have a safety issue.
CB - I'll have to see if I can log that part with the brake. The TCC unlocks when the tranny shifts up or down. I just assumed I would be able to see it unlock when I tapped on the brakes. I may be making more of this than I should. I know the GEN IV handles some things a lot different than the older Gen III's, I just wish there was a way I could verify that I have it wired up correctly.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
CB - I'll have to see if I can log that part with the brake. The TCC unlocks when the tranny shifts up or down. I just assumed I would be able to see it unlock when I tapped on the brakes. I may be making more of this than I should. I know the GEN IV handles some things a lot different than the older Gen III's, I just wish there was a way I could verify that I have it wired up correctly.
Verifying the correct "Brake Pedal status" on the Data list is the only way to know for sure, The way you have it wired...In theory, should work, The 12vdc pulling the circuit "High" when applied & a resistor to pull the circuit "Low" when released to mimic an incandescent bulb.

I'm guessing you have HP-Tuners or EFI live? I cant get used to their data list to save my life, Using a Tech 2 for 15 years has programmed my way of thinking . I have HP-Tuners & gave up on using it as a scanner.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Houston Ben

Digging up a semi-old thread for update.

I used a 4 pin relay to hook up my TCC with brake wire. I wasn't using the 5 pin with resistor like the one Hart Rod used above. While driving, my truck always seemed kinda sluggish while cruising when just trying to go a little faster in the 6th gear without kickdown and when I first start and drive the truck in the mornings.

Well I finally decided to hook the brake wire directly to the TCC wire and now my trans seems to run so much better. I have been meaning to do this for a while now and should have done it a long time ago. When I barely press the peddle to go a little faster in 6th is actually moves! Even when slowing to a stop I have noticed a big difference in the way the trans eases up, no more binding feeling....so far.

Most of you probably already knew this and I just learn slow but I just thought I would update all 6L80 users of my findings in case anyone else was on my same level.
Houston Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #9
First c10

Old thread diving!

I have just rebuilt my 6l80 and it requires a fast learn. The first thing is asked it to apply the brake. When I do the VCM control sees nothing. I tried to wire it up through the switch, and nothing, I tried wiring in a relay and nothing, I switched polarity and nothing, so I wired in a relay with a 1k resister and still nothing. The relearn just stated aborted because it can’t see the bake applied.
Has someone performed a 6l80 transmission relearn on a swap? If so can you tell me how your brake TCC is wired?
1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote