The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2002, 12:23 PM   #1
Alvin
Never Done?

Post My truck dies when I stop. Help!

So yesterday i'm on my way to church. Everything seems to be going fine. Then I pull up at a stoplight and my truck dies. Takes a long time to get it started, then I drive some more, stop again and it dies again. Eventually I ended up having to turn up the idle speed, but then the engine wouldn't turn off right when I wanted it to. So now I am turning up the idle before I leave, and turning the idle down before turning the thing off when I get where I'm going. Any ideas? Seems to die only when it warms up. Holley carb and intake, 350. Pretty weird though. Just thought I'd check on here to see if it could be an easy fix before I go spend money at the mechanic. Thanks a bunch. Sorry about the length.

------------------
- Adam L. Vogel
University of Cincinnati
White 68 GMC short, fleet, 350/TH350, 67-8 chevy grille, 5-lugs, front power disc brakes, power steering, a/c (not complete yet)

My truck site
IM= newt0

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 12:34 PM   #2
bigvinnie

could be a few things.... does it die immediately or does the motor start running rough and then die after a few seconds...?? check to see if it's flooding, needle valve could be getting stuck.

In the meantime, you can leave it in gear and shut the motor off with your foot on the brake to keep it from dieseling.... just don't forget to put it in park afterward..

------------------
'72 short step, 350, 700R4, tilt, ps, pdb, a/c, lowered coils, etc., other work in progress... San Diego, CA
http://www.ixpres.com/vlusardi/chevtrk.htm

[This message has been edited by bigvinnie (edited May 06, 2002).]

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 12:38 PM   #3
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

I was thinking flooding also. Another thing you could check is you float adjustment. Also, maybe your timing is retarded too much? That's all I can think of.

------------------
Yeah, that's right. My name is Randy too!
WWW.Randysrods.freeservers.com
1970 Chevy C-10 shortstep
30 Ford Model A Coupe 4 inch chop, 350, GMC 671 blower-Hell yeah it's fast!
87 Harley Sportster(couldnt get a 350 to fit)
Self Propelled Lawn Mower
Built in USA!!!!

Virginia Beach, VA.

Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 12:40 PM   #4
Alvin
Never Done?

yeah, it takes a few seconds to die. I just keep a close eye on the oil pressure gauge and when it starts to drop i bump it into neutral, then it does fine. Thanks for the advice too.

Oh, it does seem to be worse if I'm stopping kind of hard, or slowing and making a sharp turn. So it's got to be something with the carb right?
------------------
- Adam L. Vogel
University of Cincinnati
White 68 GMC short, fleet, 350/TH350, 67-8 chevy grille, 5-lugs, front power disc brakes, power steering, a/c (not complete yet)

My truck site
IM= newt0

[This message has been edited by Alvin (edited May 06, 2002).]

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 12:58 PM   #5
bigvinnie

yep.... I had a holley with a flooding problem, I could fix it by removing the sight plug on the front bowl and spraying carb cleaner in to loosen the gunk that was making the needle stick... you could also insert a small screwdriver blade and lift the float, just be careful that you don't bend it...

------------------
'72 short step, 350, 700R4, tilt, ps, pdb, a/c, lowered coils, etc., other work in progress... San Diego, CA
http://www.ixpres.com/vlusardi/chevtrk.htm

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 01:41 PM   #6
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

Sounds like a vacuum leak. My truck did that exact thing until I found the leak.
Ben
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote