The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #1
IdahoMan

Aftermarket wiper arm and wipers?

Hi,

I have an 1981 Silverado, and the OEM wiper system is a pain for the following reasons:

A. Can't find any wipers blades to fit it
B. The Arm is impossible to get off the truck with a special tool
C. Unlike modern vehicles, you can't bend the arm away from the windshield

The 94 GMC truck for example has a nice wiper system. It can be bent away from the windshield, it's black (I'd like this), it looks like all you have to do to remove the arm is use an attached lever, and I assume blades are easy to find.

Questions:

1. Will the 94GMC wiper system fit an 81 Silverado?
2. If not, is there an aftermarket system that will?

Thank you.

IM
IdahoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
E-TN C10

Re: Aftermarket wiper arm and wipers?

I just bought the cheaper blades from O'reilly's. I think I just had to figure out which adapter to use or remove. It took me maybe 5 minutes but most wipers come with every common combination of connector. Idk if different wiper arms will work but I thought about it too as I was fighting them on.
E-TN C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
HunterRotten

My answer might not be much help, but all we did was buy some 16" Goodyear blades on sale at Costco and then swap out the rubber blades onto my trucks wiper arms. I recycled the rest.

If you can't find the answer on the later arms or it doesn't work, it might be something to look into.
HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

I don't know about the 88 and up wiper arms either, but the removal tool is only a few dollars at the auto parts stores. Yes, I do think it is a pain that the wipers don't lock in the open position, but I have learned to live with it. (I think Keith submitted an engineering change on this when he was at Flint Truck Assembly but it was not approved.)

Regarding the wiper blades, here in the desert southwest wiper blades don't last very long. I have been experimenting with soaking the blades in 303 protectant overnight and then installing the blades. So for, it seem to be working well. The problem we have is that the blades just fall apart in the desert heat - the rubber, silicone, etc. just disintegrates and falls apart in pieces. I have used $25 wiper blades and $2 wiper blades and the result is the same.

So, I bought a bunch of $2.50 blades from Rock Auto on clearance and if my experiment does not work I can change them every couple of months.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Rich84

Funny story..I have owned my truck for almost 20years and I have never changed the wipers. It is time though..LOL
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote