The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #1
379redneck

No headlights after adding ground strap

Hey everyone. I’m trying to straighten out a few electrical problems on my drawn out frame off. I tried getting the truck to run yesterday and couldn’t get it to crank. After messing around for awhile I found that the entire truck was energized but things still worked like the headlights and gauges, but not the starter. I ruled it out to be be a ground problem as it went away and now cranks after I added the big ground strap that goes from the motor to the frame (the truck never had this before and it was never an issue). After adding the strap I lost my headlights. The turn signals work, but no headights. So with a bad ground the lights worked, then with the motor grounded properly they don’t. I had the ground wire from the rad support on the negative on the battery. It’s not the best connection but I would think I should get something out of the lights. Anyone have any thoughts?

87 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 350/TH350/NP203 Flow Tech long tube headers, throttle body spacer, Edelbrock Performer cam, true dual Flowmaster 40s, 6 inch Superlift suspension lift

2000 silverado extended cab stepside 5.3l. Stock for now
Closed Thread