The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2007, 02:01 AM   #1
mcc-bri

got a cam for my engine, soon to have a carb

Well i was given a 67 gmc this spring and it has escalated from there. I have worked on it all summer out at my cabin between working 6 days a week, partying and slalom skiing so progress was slow over the summer. Now that the truck is home in the city progress is moving steadily. I am finishing metal work on the cab. I have replaced all brake lines and replaced everything on my brakes other then the drums. The brakes just need to be blead and there done. About a month ago i bought a 65 327 small jurnal engine with matching number camel hum heads. I have torn the motor down and it will be rebuild by january. right now im just coasting along doing what i can without spending much money. Plans for the truck is to have it in paint by spring, have my 327 built up and put in and i will be running a th 350 with a high stall or if i can find a good 4 spd i will be runnig that. the rest of the details on my truck you will just have to wait and see.

for some reason my pics wouldnt post up. i will try again to past pics later

Last edited by mcc-bri; 01-04-2008 at 01:37 PM.
mcc-bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
mcc-bri

Re: 67 gmc-project ball to the walls

im still trying to load pics but for some reason some are not working. Here are pics of some work i have done. The last pic is of my 327 when i got it home. why someone would paint it metalic baby blue and paint the heads with alumin paint makes no sence to me.

let me know what you guys think
Attached Images

Last edited by mcc-bri; 11-28-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
cflvulcan

cant wait to see more pics but looking good so far...
cflvulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

It looks like you're making great progress, keep us posted on the progress...

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:23 PM   #5
mcc-bri

Ill give you some specs and more pics on my engine. Its a 65 327 with matching number camel humps. It has a moroso deep pan and oil pump to go with, noisey gear drive (i do not know what make it is so if anyone reconizes the numbers let me know) Holley street dominator intake. I will be treating the motor to a duntov 30/30 cam and let it breath from a holly 700 cfm double pumper. I am getting the crank trued another 10 thou, getting it decked, putting all new bottom end and cam shaft bearings in. I will also be putting diffrent valve springs and seals in the heads and lap the valves. The cylinders are bored .40 over and are mint, i will put new rings in it and give it a hone. lastly i will be painting it chevy orange.
If you cant tell i am very excited about this motor and am really looking forward to seeing what kind of hp it puts out.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2007, 11:25 PM   #6
clemson71guy

i bet this is going to be a nice truck
i will have to keep my eye on this thread!!
nice job so far
clemson71guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:45 AM   #7
mcc-bri

thought i would post some more pics of my truck since i havnt posted a pic of the whole truck yet. This is of when my truck is hooked up to my 99 silverado ready for the tow home from my cabin.

i have been moving along quite nicely this past week considering how busy i have been. My pasenger side rocker panel is compleatly done and i have finished all my welding, painting and sealing on the pasenger side of the cab. I am now onto the drivers side where i have to make some changes to the rocker panel i put in because it dosnt clear the bottom of my door. I have it spotwelded in place on where it needs to be now and i will finish it and all the welding on that side of the cab tommorow night after i get off work. This weekend i plan on shaving my dash and installing my floor shift steering colum. not sure if i will get both done but im going to definatly try.
Attached Images

Last edited by mcc-bri; 12-02-2007 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I just saw this.Pretty cool!We have alot in common with our projects.I don`t have a thread because I am barely moving.I`m building a`67 GMC from scratch,what parts I have laying around.It`s a`71 rolling frame right now.But,I came across a`68 327 and decided to use that to give it more of a`67 feel.It all started with a`67 front end I bought at a swap meet with a friend in mind that needed one.He had sold the truck by the time I got up with him...oh well.
Not to hijack your thread.Just thought it was cool we have some simularities in our projects.I`ll keep up with your build.Lookin`good!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 AM   #9
mcc-bri

well i gaver all weekend on the truck when i wasnt a work and got some stuff done. I have finished with the welding and grinding from shaving my sterio and ash tray from my dash so all that needs is bondo and sanding. I put a floor shift colum in once i cleaned it up and painted it. i compleated my driver side rocker. I pulled everything out of my dash so that i could shave it but also so i could decide how im going to mount my glovebox door guage cluster.

And i also found out whay i wasnt able to get the air out of my brake lines. my master cylinder was leaking at the back of it where the shaft from the brake pedal goes in so ill be picking up a rebuil master cylinder this week and hopfully finish off my brakes.

I will get pics up as soon as my mom gets back sunday with the camara.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:23 PM   #10
mcc-bri

Well i decided to shave my dash pad as well so i worked lat into the night doing that on friday. Today i sinished grinding and preped the dash for bondo. The dash is now all bondoed and ready to be sanded. I put the new master cylinder on and bleed my brakes. I also put my drivers side fender back on now that it is painted on the inside.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #11
mcc-bri

well i have a small update,

My block and crank will be going into the machine shop soon. The crank is getting turned another 10 thou.

The block is getting honed, line honed, decked 10-15 thou, tanked and cleaned, new frost plugs and new cam bearings. I will hopfully get it back right after christmas and put it together. Also i have a Duntov 30/30 cam on its way here for it.

I have made some more progrese on the dash but i wont bother posting a pic untill it is done.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:04 AM   #12
mcc-bri

Well have a bit of an update. I have been sanding bondo whenever i get the chance to do so this past week and i have made some progresse. The dash is very close to being done, i just need to add some bondo to a few low spots and get it nice and straight and it will be done. I have filled in and grinded all the random holes in my cab. I have started on the interior side of my doors and am almost done the drivers side, it just needs some more sanding and it will be ready for high build.

I also tore my cylinder heads down this week and have decided to get new valve guides put in and also some screw down rocker studs so they are going in with my block and crank. There were supposed to go in this past friday but dosnt look like the guy came to pick them up so i will have to wait till i get back from the christmas break to send it all in. my shop teacher thinks this 327 will have around 375HP when i get it back together.

well here are some pics of my dash and door.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #13
mcc-bri

Well santa brought me a Duntov 30/30 camshaft and lifters this year for Christmas. anyone know why the lobes are a dark color?

i just got back from my cabin and plan on spending the rest of the break working on the truck.

Also i will be ordering my carberator and fuel pump very soon. I plan on getting a Holly 650 double pumper.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2008, 06:15 AM   #14
duane67c-10

nice! i have a 66 327 going in my truck
duane67c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #15
mcc-bri

what kind of stuff are you doing to your 327?

I had to have a small jurnal 327 for this truck. They are just to cool and diffrent as aposed to the 68 and up 327's and 350s
Old 01-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #16
samwise68
FarmBoy.

oooo how i love a classic small block, especially one built up with the epitome of chevy parts, like Duntov.

looking good man, can't wait to see it get further along.

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #17
mcc-bri

well the other day i was sitting in my garage and i thought to my self, "why not cut the frame and turn this thing into a short box.

so i am pritty much decided on turning it into a short box and am going to call about a short box in my area.

I havnt thought of any downsides of going to a shortbox. I was thinking having my truck be a short box would make it worth a little more and be easyier to sell when the time comes. does this sound right?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:41 PM   #18
mcc-bri

well i started on fixing one of my drip rails. I cut out the really bad spot and am putting in a new peice. i had to clean up underneath the drip rail, i metal preped it and sprayed it with this special primer that you can weld on. i have already started welding the peice i made in but its not done and i wont post a pic till it is. My dash is done other then finishing the edge on it were the ignition is. Can someone tell me how to get that ignition out of the dash?
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #19
72ChevyAZ
LWB Club

If the ignition has a little pin hole to the right of where the key goes in, take a small pin or paperclip and press it in there until you feel it depress a switch and at the same time with the key inserted, turn it a quarter turn counter clockwise and it will release.

Hope that helps
Old 01-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #20
mcc-bri

thanks 72chevyaz, ill give that a try. If i remember correctly there was a small hole in it.

Today i got lots done in the garage but very little truck related. I got my driver side drip rail roughed in. with some pounding and some more grinding it will look great but at the moment im not overly happy with my patch job of it.

here are some pics
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #21
mcc-bri

worked on the passenger side drip rail today. Would have finished doing the metal work on it but thought i should wait for the seam sealer to compleatly dry before i patched it.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2008, 06:21 AM   #22
samwise68
FarmBoy.

your patches are looking really good, once you get some paint on it, i doubt anyone will ever know you whacked and welded.

keep at it, i'm excited to see how this 327 goes...

-Sam.

Quote:
Screw patina... it's a beater...Beaters are cool.
my build thread - Project Homebrew:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242993
samwise68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:03 PM   #23
mcc-bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwise68 View Post
your patches are looking really good, once you get some paint on it, i doubt anyone will ever know you whacked and welded.

keep at it, i'm excited to see how this 327 goes...

-Sam.
I should have the stuff back from the machine shop in a week or so and then ill start giviner on putting it back together.

Ill take a vid of it running on the stand with the headers on it. should sound really good with that cam and noisy gear drive.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:11 AM   #24
mcc-bri

well went and looked at a shortbox today. The bedsides are nice and straight and would require much less work then my current ones would to be ready for paint. The downside is that it is a steel floor but i do have another box front for a wooden bed so i would eventually put a wooden floor into it. not a big deal if i sell my other box. I dont know how much he wants for it but will talk to the guy tonight and try to work somthing out. hopfully i can get this box and then really step it up a notch in 2 weeks when i roll it into the school shop. I would post pics but cant find my camara cord, will post pics of progress later.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #25
mcc-bri

I called the guy with the shortbox tonight only to be really dissapointed. Aparently he wants 1-2 thousand for this box. He must have said 1000 but i thought i heard 2000, i was kinda in shock from the things he said leading up to telling me what he wants for this box. I was real pissed and hot when i got off the phone with this guy cause he new i was a high school kid and couldnt tell me what kind of money he wanted for this thing in the bigining when i first called him so i wasted my time and gas to go look at this box. Not happy at all about that so im down but not out with going to a short box. Im going to cut and section my box sides into short box ones and ill save my 1-2 for somthing better.

here are some pics of this box and it is a compleat box. Its nice but isnt worth what he wants for it imo but maybe im wrong about what its worth, let me know what you think.

also some pics of my finished work on my passenger side drip rail and i laid out some tape quick on the side of my box to show where im going to cut a foot out of it.
Attached Images