The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #101
TKCR

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizin01 View Post
I was pretty sure this is a later bezel. It doesn't have the cutout for the wiper.. why do you think its earlier?

Thanks again for the kind words. Im pretty hard on myself so its nice to hear good things.
I guess I was just assuming, because your truck is a 78. But I'll admit, I've been wrong before.
BTW, I don't remember if you said where you got your dash pad? I'm kicking around the idea of a new pad. What was the SEM color that you used?

Last edited by TKCR; 08-10-2018 at 10:50 AM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #102
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
I guess I was just assuming, because your truck is a 78. But I'll admit, I've been wrong before.
BTW, I don't remember if you said where you got your dash pad? I'm kicking around the idea of a new pad. What was the SEM color that you used?
The bezel was NOS. Im thinking it said 84-87 or something on the back. Its definitely not pre-80 as it would have a rectangular slot for a wiper switch.

The dash pad was NOS as well. Im lucky I got one back in the day when they were available. I wish I had bought 100 of them. lol.

The color is Medium Gray 15393. It doesn't match the color chip by far but that's what the door panels and dash is sprayed with. The seat is just slightly lighter as I mixed it with some other gray I had.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #103
TKCR

I called Cheyenne Parts about a dash pad. He said they used SEM 39183 Med Grey. But when I look that up, it's a bumper coat paint. But anyways, I ordered the SEM paint from Summit. Got a can of the 39183, I also got a can of the 159393 & 15383. I'm going to see what matches my door panels the best. My door panels are lighter, like yours, maybe not as light. And then my dash pad is a bit darker, from where I painted it charcoal.
Thanks for the info
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 08-10-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #104
cruizin01

Quote:
I called Cheyenne Parts about a dash pad. He said they used SEM 39183 Med Grey. But when I look that up, it's a bumper coat paint. But anyways, I ordered the SEM paint from Summit. Got a can of the 39183, I also got a can of the 159393 & 15383. I'm going to see what matches my door panels the best. My door panels are lighter, like yours, maybe not as light. And then my dash pad is a bit darker, from where I painted it charcoal.
Thanks for the info
Yeah it wouldn't make any sense why they would use 39183. The color coat works really well on the vinyl stuff. You can't scrape it off unless you really go at it with something hard.

Ive been buying my stuff from Route 66 Auto Color. They were the only ones that I could find that mixed the Color Coat. Their service is really good too. But yeah if you are just testing colors the aerosol is the way to go.

The 15393 is gonna be too light. The color chip will probably match what you have but its off. This stuff is weird, when it dries on the can its way darker than when you spray it. Its like SEM didn't spray the color for the chips but dipped them. That's what stinks because I can't touch up the areas I messed up. I'll have to respray that small area.

Let me know if you need any help/tips. I sprayed quite a bit of this stuff on the interior.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #105
LT7A

I'll throw in my two cents on the door panels. But first I want to say that the truck is coming together very nicely. Your attention to detail is going to pay off.

The place to add detail to the door panels is in the "inset" around the handles. That can be painted a contrasting gray, probably darker, and the perimeter trim another color as well. Black is an easy answer but a metallic gun metal might be the topper. With the width of that trim, spraycan pseudo-chrome won't cut it, but a darker metallic like gunmetal, or even better may be a titanium, will look really nice. Use your OEM armrests that fit. No need to provide contrast there and feature them.

Last edited by LT7A; Yesterday at 10:26 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #106
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I'll throw in my two cents on the door panels. But first I want to say that the truck is coming together very nicely. You attention to detail is going to pay off.

The place to add detail to the door panels is in the "inset" around the handles. That can be painted a contrasting gray, probably darker, and the perimeter trim another color as well. Black is an easy answer but a metallic gun metal might be the topper. With the width of that trim, spraycan pseudo-chrome won't cut it, but a darker metallic like gunmetal, or even better may be a titanium, will look really nice. Use your OEM armrests that fit. No need to provide contrast there and feature them.
Thanks so much. I get what you mean and I like the idea. Ill kick around some ideas and go from there.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #107
cruizin01

My good buddy came over yesterday and we knocked out the back slider. Neither of us really had any idea what we were doing. I watched a couple youtube videos but that was it. We struggled at first but eventually with enough elbow grease and some silicone spray we got it in place. Super stoked we didn't break anything or tear the seal. The corners sit just a little funny and have a different gloss than the rest but Im ok with it. The seal was a Precision Seal.

Thinking today I can pull the truck out and give her a bath. Maybe start the process of detailing the thing. Can't do much else until I get the hood back. Starting to get frustrated with that...
Old 08-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #108
TKCR

Quote:
Yeah it wouldn't make any sense why they would use 39183. The color coat works really well on the vinyl stuff. You can't scrape it off unless you really go at it with something hard.

The 15393 is gonna be too light. The color chip will probably match what you have but its off. This stuff is weird, when it dries on the can its way darker than when you spray it. Its like SEM didn't spray the color for the chips but dipped them. That's what stinks because I can't touch up the areas I messed up. I'll have to respray that small area.

Let me know if you need any help/tips. I sprayed quite a bit of this stuff on the interior.
The paint came yesterday from Summit, so I spray an extra piece of headliner trim I had. And here are the results. You are right about the 159393 being lighter than the cap. But I believe the Bumper Coat Med Grey 39183 will work.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #109
TKCR

Quote:
My good buddy came over yesterday and we knocked out the back slider. Neither of us really had any idea what we were doing. I watched a couple youtube videos but that was it. We struggled at first but eventually with enough elbow grease and some silicone spray we got it in place. Super stoked we didn't break anything or tear the seal. The corners sit just a little funny and have a different gloss than the rest but Im ok with it. The seal was a Precision Seal.

Thinking today I can pull the truck out and give her a bath. Maybe start the process of detailing the thing. Can't do much else until I get the hood back. Starting to get frustrated with that...
Looks good!!
Old 08-12-2018, 05:42 PM   #110
cruizin01

Quote:
The paint came yesterday from Summit, so I spray an extra piece of headliner trim I had. And here are the results. You are right about the 159393 being lighter than the cap. But I believe the Bumper Coat Med Grey 39183 will work.
yep. I think that 39183 would match up fine.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #111
cruizin01

Im just gonna keep pretending there is a hood on this thing until it happens.

Truck got a quick bath today before the rain came. I cant start the process now of getting the paint cleaned, polished and sealed.

I did have the truck in the driveway for a few minutes to test out the brakes as Im pretty close to driving it. Something is up with them. Pretty spongy feeling. Minimal grab. When I depress the pedal it sounds like Im pushing on an airbag thats letting the air out. So I may bleed the brakes again but Im curious about whether the booster is working correctly.
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM   #112
The Norwegian

What an amazing build ! Could you tell us what year and model jeep fan you used ?
The Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM   #113
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Norwegian View Post
What an amazing build ! Could you tell us what year and model jeep fan you used ?
I appreciate it.

Early Jeep Grand Cherokee's. I think the interchange part number is CH3116115