The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
bbchevy
87 Wanna Be K30

bleeding a hydrolic clutch

hi my truck go low on clutch fluid when i went off roading because the o ring on the resovwar is gone.... the clutch went dead... how do you bleed it ... i ewntr under the truck and pushed the plunger in , and it made bubbles com out of the resovwar, but it would just keep doing that and not help it .... there is a bleeder valve ... but it doesnt seem to help much.... ?? any ideas how to do it ??
bbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
b454rat

Re: bleeding a hydrolic clutch

You bleed it the same way as you do brakes. Pump, open valve, close, pump, etc. I have a hyrdo set up that I was gonna use, wanted to see if it was any good. Had water in it, but put some fluid in it, did the above steps, and it must work, I push the plunger and nothing moves. (Cylinder is rusted) Before you could hear air and fluid moving around.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

Usually to bleed it entirely, you need to pull the slave cylinder off the bellhousing, and angle it in a way that the bleeder points straight up while you get a buddy to pump for you.

When it is entirely bled, you should not be able to push the pedal down at all with the slave cylinder off the bellhousing, and bleeder screw shut (less mechanical play in the clutch rod to pedal connection etc)

Once you put the slave cylinder back on, it will force some of the fluid up and into the reservoir, so don't overfill it while bleeding, you just need enough in there that it won't suck any air down into the tubes. After you've got the slave cylinder re-installed, then top the fluid off to the indicated line, and you'll be good to go
Old 03-14-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
bbchevy
87 Wanna Be K30

do you hold down the clutch pedel and then open the bleeder , or do you open it as you are pushing the pedle down and not let it bottom out >?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Do the same as bleeding brakes, have a buddy pump the pedal till it is solid, then have him hold it down while you crack the bleeder open. You should continue doing so until no more air bubbles come out of the bleeder. As soon as you crack the bleeder, the clutch pedal will fall towards the floor. Make sure you keep the reservoir full though, you don't wanna introduce fresh air into the top of the system, lol
Old 03-14-2006, 09:45 PM   #6
bbchevy
87 Wanna Be K30

hey, thanks alot it worked, it just took a while but i finally got it
Old 03-15-2006, 02:47 AM   #7
Russell
Professional Grade

Glad to hear you got it bled

Bit of a pain in the butt the first time, but goes pretty easy after that