The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #76
atvpro

Re: C50 Pick-up Drill Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mater/10 View Post
Hey bud i just got a 70' c50 for free. I Plan to use a c20 frame and make it a lwb step side. do you have any advice for swapping the cab on the 20 frame ?
how about just giving me a call. I'll be glad to chat with you about it.otherwise go to our website like us on Facebook and a great deal more information will be at your disposal. Rtechfabrications.com
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by atvpro; 09-14-2013 at 08:21 AM.
atvpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #77
bojak

Any updates? Not that I mean to rush you but I am really diggin' this truck.
bojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #78
atvpro

Did some more fitting and came to realize I need even wider wheels than the camper specials so I'm going to have a set of wheels made with a different off-set. I can't think of a better tire for my purpose but I still want to fill the flares. The C50 body requires almost an extra foot of tire stance.

Other than that been working on the doors and hood. Still trying to decide if I want to make it a dumping bed. Not a problem to do it I just want to have this done by winter.

Decided the truck will be way to nice to put a plow on it. Looks like this may end up being more of a show truck than I initially planned though I will still use it when needed.

Also decided that I need 450 to 500 horsepower out of a small block.

Last edited by atvpro; 09-16-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #79
bojak

From that photo the front looks doable as far as the axel/flare/wheel set up goes. Not perfect but close. Rear looks too narrow. What axles are you running front and back. Also interested in the front flare to door relationship. Can't tell how you are making it all come together/ transition in that area.

If you need a plow truck that bad I will toss keys with you when you are done. That truck deserves a southern relocation. Only salt around here is on my grits.

Keep up the great work, just awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #80
Mayo
Cool Truck

Thats going to be a very cool rig

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #81
mcbassin
Still Learning

Man your fabrication skills are over the top! Subscribing for another killer build....
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #82
Devillusion

....wow....just....WOW! Impressed, and loving what you have done so far. I wish I had half your talent and knowledge with the fabrication.
1970 Chevelle
1968 Biscayne 2dr post

"...there is no excuse for what I am about to do, but dangit....it's gonna be fun!"
Devillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #83
bojak

OK I didn't want to rush or push but the last update was half a month ago. I'm dying to see more updates on my truck.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #84
CheyenneShop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojak View Post
Your trucks and work are exceptional. The 2 are not always connected but I like where your mind goes and your skills follow. I am subscribed.
^^^ I Agree ^^^
68 C/10 shorty - "Picacho" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428379 sold to "93redsled"

Have you heard about C10 Talk? C10 Talk is a podcast all about C10 Trucks, the builders, the vendors, and most importantly the C10 Community. Check us out online at www.c10talk.com
CheyenneShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #85
mr andrerson

way cool truck!!
mr andrerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #86
bojak

Where you at? Shop catch fire? Usually pushers keep you supplied after your hooked. Just kiddin', but........ where's the truck!?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #87
atvpro

You are not going to believe this but between the hood and two doors I have $2,000.00 in paint and labor. These doors and the hood were of the devil but they have been redeemed. After having to pay a now ex employee to do the body work and paint three times, the third time having forgot to put in the hardener finally had to get my hands dirty and strip the paint off of the hood and doors and then repaint them two more times because I accidentally buffed through an edge. Anyway they are on.

I have needed to have the doors on to be able to go any further on fitting the front clip to the frame. I have the radiator mounted and had to make new mounts. I also had to make front body mounts all of which took me seven hours do to the onset of a cold.

Today, having pretty good drugs in me, I started working on the fender flare extensions. I will be shortening them down so that they only go about two inches below the body.

Things should start speeding up rather quickly on this project now that the doors are behind me. I seriously thought I was going to have to spend sometime in a padded room because of those doors.

I just took in a 70' Chevelle for a complete frame off restoration, this will be a big block car with lots of extras. The blazer is also is coming along nicely, I just finished up a 3/4 ton frame for it two days ago.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #88
mtully79

Great progress, keep the pics comin!
mtully79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #89
duallyjams

Very cool 4x4 project.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #90
phaus01

Great looking project. I love the rear fender flares to match the factory style of the front.
phaus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #91
mcbassin
Still Learning

Sorry to hear about your painting problems. Been there myself. Awesome progress though.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #92
atvpro

I know its just a big old 4wd truck but making sure that the body work and paint is clean sure does take an extra effort. Have not touched the flare extensions for the front fenders yet been somewhat busy trying to pay the bills. I decided to change the mounting brackets for the radiator after realizing that when I mounted the radiator two weeks ago it needed to go over a half an inch for the shroud to fit right. Since I wasn't totally satisfied with the initial design of the top radiator mounts this was a good time to go back to the drawing board and make them better. I did not post pictures of the brackets this time, but I will next time. They definitely look like they belong to the truck.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #93
atvpro

Quote:
Where you at? Shop catch fire? Usually pushers keep you supplied after your hooked. Just kiddin', but........ where's the truck!?
Sorry Bojak, I made the mistake of using some of my own product and was trippin for awhile,

No but really, in my shop cloning would really be a good idea since there is not enough of me to go around. I have been very busy trying to keep the bills paid.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #94
atvpro

One of the other reasons why Drill Sergeant not getting the respect he deserves is I have had to build a snow plow vehicle to replace what Drill Sergeant's original purpose was. I built this on a blazer frame with 3/4 ton running gear with heavy duty 4" lift with lots of frame reinforcements. The front bumper is 1/4" cold rolled steel. With a 400 horse power 350 with a built turbo 350 behind it with a 205 transfer case with a really nice factory black GMC cab and temporary rear flat bed for this season. I will be building a custom short-short bed for next season.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #95
flashed

I like the little plow truck too.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #96
phaus01

That black plow truck would look really good with a shortened short bed on it.
phaus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #97
bojak

I am so relieved that sarge won't be a plow truck. I was really beginning to stress about its fate. I haven't had to steal a vehicle in a long time but was considering coming out of retirement. Glad your coming down from that. I will say that you managed to "throw" together a pretty *****en plow rig.

On the front flares, how is the bottom flare and door relationship going to work? I can visualize it but then I visualize opening the door and can't get it to work out. From where it's stopped now it looks like the remainder will be part of the door but that's an assumption.

Keep up the killer work.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #98
atvpro

The laugh of the day...enjoy

Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #99
atvpro

Quote:
I am so relieved that sarge won't be a plow truck. I was really beginning to stress about its fate. I haven't had to steal a vehicle in a long time but was considering coming out of retirement. Glad your coming down from that. I will say that you managed to "throw" together a pretty *****en plow rig.

On the front flares, how is the bottom flare and door relationship going to work? I can visualize it but then I visualize opening the door and can't get it to work out. From where it's stopped now it looks like the remainder will be part of the door but that's an assumption.

Keep up the killer work.
Well Bojak don't worry Drill Sergeant will be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound but most likely will be more of a daily driver show truck. If I can have it finished before Hot August Nights in Reno, we are planning on towing it down behind the crewcab to show it off. I am planning on putting 400 horsepower motor in place of the motor that is in it now but it is going to be all stock looking right down to that stinkin orange color.

Oh by the way, the flare extension is attached to the actual body and fender flare. The door actually opens and clears it. Hope that clear things up for ya.

Hey Bojak do me a favor, I don't know if you know this or not but I lived in Atlanta for 20 years. One of the things I miss is a Chic-Fil-A - chicken biscuit with bacon, cheese and tomato. Go have one and take a picture and send it to me. That will be about the same as me telling you that I was going to use Drill Sergeant as a snow plow truck.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #100
Mater/10

Just wanted to be the 100th reply hahaha Awesome plow!
Mater/10 is offline   Reply With Quote