The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2016, 10:43 PM   #76
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
I agree with your thinking about the wrong kind of fluid being used in the hydraulic system. Can you rebuild the gear with new seals? And I've never noticed atf causing a rubber floor mat to swell, so maybe brake fluid got into the hydroboost?

Yeah, the torque sequence on the intake looks strange to me, tightening several bolts on the same side in a row. I've only ever seen starting at middle, going side to side working out to outside.

The 15 foot mower looks like a batwing? We have an old 15 footer that is flat and has zero flex. Use to use it a lot chopping corn stalks left after harvest and mowing pasture.

Good progress and engine is looking really nice!
First of all, the progress on your burb is just fantastic, I'm in awe of what your guy did fabricating the firewall.

Regarding the cross contamination of the fluids I went and spoke to my transmission guy and he thinks brake fluid got introduced as well. I already have new hoses and a new hydro boost unit which leaves me needing a rebuilt pump, steering box and the auxiliary pump (electric). I have a kit for the steering box but no instructions. I've scoured the Internet and found nothing; The factory service manual doesn't have instructions so I may have to purchase a rebuilt unit. I've only found one place so far that has a rebuilt box and it is 410.00! Seems like a shame when the seal kit was only 40 bucks Autozone shows to have a seal kit for the pump so I'll order the kit this week. The auxiliary pump is a bit over 200, so I guess I'll bite on that as well. This sure is cutting in to my available funds...

If anyone knows where I can get detailed instructions for rebuilding a Saginaw 710 steering box I sure would be grateful.

On the torque sequence, I figure Chevy built it I'll go with their instructions but I have that nagging feeling that I'll have to go back and do it over again!

The mower is a bat wing, it doesn't do the prettiest job in the world but I did in an hour what would take half a day with the zero turn.

I did not get any work done on the truck this weekend because I finally got back on rerouting power to the well on the farm house. I hope to be back on the truck next weekend.

Thanks for checking in.

-Richard
Old 07-26-2016, 11:35 PM   #77
Advanced Design

Thanks Richard, Luke did a really nice job.

What year is the Saginaw 710 again? My local Chevy dealer has a ton of old manuals and I can check for you. Thinking there use to be a chassis manual for general repairs and overhaul manual for specific items, like a gear box.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #78
rkn463

Quote:
Thanks Richard, Luke did a really nice job.

What year is the Saginaw 710 again? My local Chevy dealer has a ton of old manuals and I can check for you. Thinking there use to be a chassis manual for general repairs and overhaul manual for specific items, like a gear box.
Doug,

That would be fantastic if they have the manual. The steering box is a 1989 model.

Thanks,
-Richard
Old 07-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #79
Advanced Design

Ok I found the overhaul procedure and have copied it. Please check your pm's.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:36 PM   #80
rkn463

Quote:
Done, and thanks again!
Old 08-08-2016, 10:45 PM   #81
rkn463

Quote:
Got it, thanks!

Richard
Old 08-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #82
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkn463 View Post
Got it, thanks!

Richard
That old snail mail sure took its time getting there. Hope the info helps!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #83
rkn463

Apparently I took some time off. I'm not sure what happened, I guess that I just got so danged slow that I was embarrassed to post how little progress I made. Did you ever have a task that you thought would take a couple of hours that ended up taking days? That is what happened with cleaning and painting brackets. Honestly I'm ashamed that this stupid, pointless task took so long. Keep in mind this truck will be a working ranch truck, there are no plans for a flawless body and paint job. Why I spent so much time cleaning and painting what hardly anyone will ever see just reinforces my suspicion that "the boy just ain't right."

Enough self analysis, now on to the little bit of progress: when I last posted I had just installed the repainted intake and valve covers. Here are a few pics to catch up including a before and after and one with the carb and air cleaner back on. An interesting note (with no photo documentation) when I bought the 89 it had a new Edelbrock performer carb. The truck still had the choke knob on the dash so I assumed that he had bought the manual choke version. Along the way I was frustrated that there was no fast idle with the choke on but I assumed bad gas problems from sitting around. When I dug down to the carb it turned out that he had bought an electric choke carb and disconnected two small linkage rods to "convert" it to a manual choke. One of the rods that was supposed to engage the choke butterfly was laying on the intake the other one that was supposed to give it fast idle with the choke on was just dangling. Sooo. I bought some clips and reinstalled the linkage. I hope the electric choke works, I'll find out when I get it running again. OK enough for this post.

-Richard
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #84
rkn463

Next it was time to attack the brackets (all that pointless stuff I mentioned in the last post) First was the alternator. The A/C bracket attaches to the alternator bracket so I pulled them both and took some reference photos so that I could put them back together properly. I cleaned and painted the alternator brackets and used a scotchbrite pad to clean the case. The pulley and fan were so crappy looking that I painted them too. In a hurry I put them back on with the paint still wet...

Next was the A/C bracket - the factory setup incorporated one of the AIR (smog) pumps into this bracket so I marked a cut line, removed the ear, ground the remains smooth and painted it. Unfortunately I was in too big of a hurry to snap a pic. You will be able to see it in a later post.

-Richard
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2016, 11:03 PM   #85
rkn463

In the midst of all this we had rain, a lot of rain. This time of year is supposed to be dry here in our part of Texas. Dry, windy and hot - with dry windy hot air. Instead we are wet, humid and if you can believe the number on the thermometer much cooler than normal; it just doesn't feel very cool. All this to say that with all of the moisture in the air we are getting some really beautiful skies and I had to take a shot of the fluffy clouds!

Back to the truck (and caught up time-wise) this last weekend was power steering pump time. As I mentioned before, everything to do with the PS system was leaking BADLY. I was able to get a seal kit for the pump cheap from Autozone so I looked on YouTube and found a vid that helped me build the confidence to tear in to it. Here are some pics showing how grungy it was, one of the pump out of the case and one blown apart. Also a shot of the degreaser I am using. I forgot to mention that the previous weekend I assembled my new parts washer... Can't say that I'm overly impressed with the degreaser but them again I always washed parts in gasoline in the past.

The pump was not as intimidating inside as I expected. Whereas I spent hours doing this one I think I could knock it out again in an hour or so. As usual a lot of extra time cleaning and painting brackets, case, etc.

Out of room for pictures in this post...

-Richard
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2016, 11:13 PM   #86
rkn463

Two more pictures and I'm done for now. First is the engine with the brackets and accessories painted and bolted back on pulleys painted, etc.. And second is one of those moments that is both sad and happy. Sad because I said goodbye to my 2005 Duramax, happy because that money will likely go toward a life-long dream of owning a Corvette. I was probably 5 years old when one of my older brothers showed me a picture of a vette and I wanted one ever since, that means I've been waiting approximately 48 years! I'm hoping to get a C6 with relatively low miles (50 to 60 K). Not sure yet if I will go for a Z06 or not. Anyway, my trusty 300k mile 04 Silverado gas burner is still my DD and the C50 will be my ranch truck.

Thanks for checking in folks, I hope to have more progress next week.

-Richard
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #87
flashed

Wow,looks great .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #88
notchbackgta

Quote:
Apparently I took some time off. I'm not sure what happened, I guess that I just got so danged slow that I was embarrassed to post how little progress I made. Did you ever have a task that you thought would take a couple of hours that ended up taking days? That is what happened with cleaning and painting brackets. Honestly I'm ashamed that this stupid, pointless task took so long. Keep in mind this truck will be a working ranch truck, there are no plans for a flawless body and paint job. Why I spent so much time cleaning and painting what hardly anyone will ever see just reinforces my suspicion that "the boy just ain't right."
I can totally relate, it made me laugh out loud, for real

Quote:
Can't say that I'm overly impressed with the degreaser but them again I always washed parts in gasoline in the past.
Usually you use solvent in a parts washer, not a water based degreaser, that may be your issue
notchbackgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #89
greywuuf

Actually solvent based parts washers are all most a thing of the past....to many insurance and epa type hassle with them ( flammable and health risks) the "trend is towards heated filtered biologic based oil eating enzyme or water soluable cleaners. Though unless you have like a sealed industrial high pressure dishwasher type....they are not all that impressive.....then again I washed a lot of parts in MEK in my day too....and not saying we should necessarily go back.....
greywuuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #90
Deer_hunter_088

I wanna see the finished truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Made in the USA, just like my trucks
Deer_hunter_088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:56 PM   #91
rkn463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_hunter_088 View Post
Me too!

I'll have some updates early next week. I think I'm finally almost ready to drop the 68 body on.

-Richard
Old 09-04-2016, 09:38 AM   #92
Advanced Design

Engine and brackets came out looking really good! Looking forward to seeing the cab installation too.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #93
Deer_hunter_088

Quote:
Me too!

I'll have some updates early next week. I think I'm finally almost ready to drop the 68 body on.

-Richard
You better ive been watching this build for a loooooooong time

Made in the USA, just like my trucks
Deer_hunter_088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:42 AM   #94
flashed

Cant wait to see more .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #95
rkn463

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchbackgta View Post
I can totally relate, it made me laugh out loud, for real
As you will soon see my madness with cleaning and painting parts that noone will see continues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchbackgta View Post
Usually you use solvent in a parts washer, not a water based degreaser, that may be your issue
I wanted to use diesel fuel but the instructions said that petroleum based would void the warranty. Turns out the degreaser works fairly well if you soak the parts and let them sit for an hour or so before scrubbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
Actually solvent based parts washers are all most a thing of the past....to many insurance and epa type hassle with them ( flammable and health risks) the "trend is towards heated filtered biologic based oil eating enzyme or water soluable cleaners. Though unless you have like a sealed industrial high pressure dishwasher type....they are not all that impressive.....then again I washed a lot of parts in MEK in my day too....and not saying we should necessarily go back.....
Probably shouldn't go back, no telling what mutations are going on in my DNA right now after all of the gasoline, diesel and carb cleaner over the years - not to mention the herbicides and pesticides I've used!

Quote:
Getting closer every weekend

Quote:
Engine and brackets came out looking really good! Looking forward to seeing the cab installation too.
Thanks Doug!

Quote:
You better ive been watching this build for a loooooooong time
I aim to please And thanks for watching, it justifies all the time spent posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Cant wait to see more .
Read on my friend...
Old 09-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #96
rkn463

OK, Labor day weekend...
Some weeks back I was in a quandary over installing the seal kit in the steering box. Advanced Design managed to get me a set of instructions to tear down and reassemble the box, however I was still scared of it. Then it hit me, I wonder if that 84 school bus that we have sitting out back has a compatible box. I really thought that it had the kind with the external ram but I opened up the tilt front end and sure enough there sat the exact same box minus all the leaks. I pulled it (another "20 minute job" that took 2 hours!), power washed it and painted it. Here are photos of the existing grungy box, the leak free box from the bus along with a couple of reference shots I took of the lines in case I get lost putting it back together. Check out the clamp holding the line in the 4th photo, the rubber has turned to goo!

Finally a shot of the box painted and ready to reinstall. For some reason I did not get a shot of it reinstalled, but it is there, torqued down with the new pump to box hose installed.

I fully intend to reseal the original box and eventually use both of them. Now that I have the spare I can tear into it without the fear of messing it up.

-Richard
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #97
rkn463

By the way, none of what I am posting is actually in chronological order. Since I am also painting parts and waiting for them to at least get sticky before installing this stuff was literally all jumbled together. Here are two shots of the frame, the first after cleaning, the second "clean" (not really) with a coat of Rustoleum "Rust Reformer" paint, this was just before I reinstalled the steering box.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #98
rkn463

OK, this was actually the first thing I worked on Saturday but I wanted to get you some big parts stuff to get you interested first

Since the 68 has a small block (327) the oil pressure gauge line is in a different place. On the small block it is right behind the distributor, on the big block it is down by the oil filter. I wanted to plumb some fittings up to get it closer to the original location plus I want idiot lights to back up the gauges; you can never be too careful. By the way, brass fitting are ridiculously expensive these days! In the pics you can see the before, the after with the tee in place and the spot for the idiot light sender plugged. The coupler will go at the top where you see the Teflon tape and then the original line from the 68 can hook there. I was short a coupling as my hardware store was out. Once again I took the time to paint the clutch spring and the bracket that it connects to. I don't think it will be visible with the body on. But hey, it looks good with the body off!

-Richard
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #99
rkn463

The last thing I did over the weekend after taking a few hours off for some more recreational mowing was to cut down the frame reinforcements (yes kids, we are getting close to reassembly!) I put some tape down to mark the cut line on. There are so many holes in the frame and reinforcements that I had to make one side an inch shorter to miss all of the holes with the cut.
Last time I stopped by the store to get cut off wheels the guy there showed me this nifty diamond crusted cut off wheel that is supposed to last 30x longer than the standard cut off wheels. Note the marks, it is directional! After several minutes of cutting I realized that the cuts would take 30x longer to accomplish so I switched back to my old faithful cutoff wheels. 1 wheel made short order of both pieces. Check out the last shot of the end all ground down smooth.

-Richard
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2016, 10:25 PM   #100
rkn463

Last but no least, this isn't something I did this weekend other than getting one more picture. I mentioned back in post #31 how horrified I was at the amount of smog crap on the 89. You literally could not see the motor, just the air cleaner and hoses and... Crap! I want this thing to look somewhat like a 68 when done (I expect the brackets are different) but the AIR pumps and ten thousand vacuum lines had to go. In fact the reason I switched intakes was to lose the EGR. Anyway, here are a couple of before shots along with an after (all of which I've posted before) and then the kicker is the pile of excrement that I removed!

That is all for now folks. Next week I have to work on the exhaust manifolds to plug the holes left from removing the AIR system. After that I'm ready to start bolting the frame plates back on!

- Richard
Attached Images