The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
stanski

Update on Power Steering Pump Flow Modification

I recently posted my plan for modifying my steering pump to give the steering a firmer, less assisted feel. I ordered a pump output control valve from Turn One Steering, part # PN1115. The stock GM can of ham pump delivers a flow rate of 3.0 gpm. Their PN1115 delivers 1.3 gpm which they advised was too low to allow the power steering box to work properly, and instead special machined one to deliver 2.5 gpm. These guys manufacture stuff for the circle racing crowd.
I installed it today, took 1 hour and the valve cost $40. Boy, am I impressed with the results. My 74 Jimmy now has a wheel feel somewhere between my new Duramax which I like, and my new Traverse which is quite stiff. So if you are dissatisfied with the vagueness of the 70's concept of power steering, here is a cost-effective and easy upgrade to make you feel like you're driving a new truck.
stanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:14 PM   #2
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Re: Update on Power Steering Pump Flow Modification

That's awesome. I will have to get one.
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
wildwilly4x4

Steering feel doesn't come from the flow output from the pump normally.....it is due to the diameter of the torsion bar inside the orbit valve inside the steering box. I guess if your mod works, then great, but the difference in steering feel in vehicles is normally from different torsion bar diameters.
wildwilly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #4
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

This definitely got me interested. Sound like upgrading brakes, there is no easy one part to change to make an upgrade. The pump pressure and flow should be balanced with the box. The boxes from different applications have different torsion bars to change the feel, different ratios to determine the turns lock to lock (and fixed and variable are out there) and different internal stops that could screw up your turning radius.

I found a good article with google...

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-...g-box-upgrade/
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
stanski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGracho View Post
This definitely got me interested. Sound like upgrading brakes, there is no easy one part to change to make an upgrade. The pump pressure and flow should be balanced with the box. The boxes from different applications have different torsion bars to change the feel, different ratios to determine the turns lock to lock (and fixed and variable are out there) and different internal stops that could screw up your turning radius.

I found a good article with google...

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-...g-box-upgrade/
This describes my exact situation. I started with this thought that I wished my 74 would feel like my 2017. Did my research and yes, to get that desired wheel feel you would have to look into box mods, box swaps, or custom built boxes and or a bunch of other high tech and costly solutions that just were not worth it. Then I ran across these custom valves and thought what the hell, 40 bucks and change just one simple part, its worth a try even if it doesn't work. Well, it worked and my desire for modern feeling steering has been easily, quickly and cheaply satisfied. Wish all my other plans turned out this well.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #6
ron350

By any chance did you take a picture of this new valve?
Old 04-20-2018, 02:47 PM   #7
Shugalou

wow this sounds great! Can you share any more info / photos or even better video?

I've always wanted to upgrade the steering feel and this sounds like it might be a good option

Here's the link to the part Stanski is referring to - but read above as he had them modify it for him

https://www.turnone-steering.com/col...low-restrictor

Newspaper Article Publishing the quest find my dad's old truck
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle12494281/
Shugalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #8
stanski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shugalou View Post
wow this sounds great! Can you share any more info / photos or even better video?

I've always wanted to upgrade the steering feel and this sounds like it might be a good option

Here's the link to the part Stanski is referring to - but read above as he had them modify it for him

https://www.turnone-steering.com/col...low-restrictor
Picture available on TurnOne page. Sorry no video, I only do cats.
Just to confirm my previous assertions, I took the Jimmy for a long spin again this morning and I am absolutely thrilled with the way it feels, just like a new truck. Best 40 bucks I'll ever spend for sure!
Old 04-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #9
bigarmzz

subscribed....thanks for the info!
bigarmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #10
jkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanski View Post
Picture available on TurnOne page. Sorry no video, I only do cats.
Just to confirm my previous assertions, I took the Jimmy for a long spin again this morning and I am absolutely thrilled with the way it feels, just like a new truck. Best 40 bucks I'll ever spend for sure!
Does the stock P/S hose still work with the fitting?

Thanks
jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #11
stanski

My stock fitting was a 5/8 inverted flare but new valve was o-ring, I know Speedway sells the adapter insert for $10 but I just had a new hose made instead as the original looked like it needed replacement anyways.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #12
bennylava

Now to figure out a way to make it so you don't have to turn the wheel so many times to turn sharply.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote