The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
72Much

'03 Silverado Oil Leak / Antifreeze Problem

My '03 Silverado has 67k miles on it. When I change the oil (running full synthetic) and I drive the truck, when I park it it leaves a spot of oil on the driveway about the diameter of a softball. I get under the truck to check it out and the oil is leaking on the passenger side from around the top of the oil pan. I checked the pan bolts and everything is tight. I think it is leaking from somewhere above the pan. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas where it may be coming from?

Also, I have a problem with anitfreeze disappearing. I fill it up and after a couple thousand miles it says "low coolant" in the display. Sure enough, I buy some of that $20 antifreeze to pour in it stops the display and it's only usually about 1/4 gallon low. I can't find a single place where this is leaking and I don't have any steam in the exhaust that would signal a bad head gasket. Anyone know what's going on? Where is this antifreeze going? Oh yeah, the dipstick is clean and there doesn't appear to be any in the oil.

Please help guys and thanks for the input.
72Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
bwood

Re: '03 Silverado Oil Leak / Antifreeze Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Much View Post
Also, I have a problem with anitfreeze disappearing. I fill it up and after a couple thousand miles it says "low coolant" in the display. Sure enough, I buy some of that $20 antifreeze to pour in it stops the display and it's only usually about 1/4 gallon low. I can't find a single place where this is leaking and I don't have any steam in the exhaust that would signal a bad head gasket. Anyone know what's going on? Where is this antifreeze going? Oh yeah, the dipstick is clean and there doesn't appear to be any in the oil.

Please help guys and thanks for the input.
Check the gaskets where the water pump bolts to the engine. It is common for it to seep and boil off/dry before it ever tries to drip.
2005 Honda CRF250R
2006 Honda CRF150F
bwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
72Much

Re: '03 Silverado Oil Leak / Antifreeze Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwood View Post
Check the gaskets where the water pump bolts to the engine. It is common for it to seep and boil off/dry before it ever tries to drip.
Ok...never thought about that....will take a look, thanks!
72Much is offline   Reply With Quote