The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
thefalconer_88

Failed pertronix ignitions

I've been having trouble keeping the ignition working. Here's the story...

When I first bought the truck it had points. I drove it around for a month until the points gave me trouble. I opted to switch to pertronix. Everything was cobbled. Thr starter wiring was all busted up and the ignition switch was bypassed and ran through a push button under the dash. I ran a new wire from the fuse box to power the new pertronix coil. Everything functioned fine for the rest of the year.

Last winter we pulled the truck apart restored everything except the body. I did my best to repair all the wiring to factory,I wanted to be able to start it with a key. I bought a new starter harness,new horn relay, I added a 30 amp fuse to the new 10 gauge wire that gives power to the horn relay (it powers the whole system) and ran new wires to the amp meter (the terminals had melted through the black L shaped plastic connector)(probably should have raised more of a red flag to me then, but I thought I'd be ok). I also converted to an internationally regulated alternator.

The truck finally came together. Started fine, no smoke or any wiring related malfunctions. I only did little trips at first, no real long periods of driving.

One day I drove home frome work and then straight to the junk yard to drop off some scrap. After bullsh#tt#ng with the workers I started the truck and attempted to drive off. As I went to shift the truck made a loud pop noise and killed. It blew the 30 amp fuse. I towed it home. After some diagnosis we figured out that I had hook up the coil wiring as though I was still using points. For some reason I though the new harness wouldn't have a resistor wire. My miatake, I ordered a brand new billet ignitor 2 distributor, ignitor 2 coil, and matching wires. I didn't want to have problems again. This time I ran a 12 gauge wire with a 10 amp fuse to the coil. Everything worked great. I took a few short runs with no problems until I took a 40 minute drive to Savanna, IL. Same thing happened. Poof. It blew both fuses: the one powering the whole truck and the one going to the coil. I'm not sure what I should do next...

I just had the alternator tested. It checked out fine.

Thinking of running a points distributor next(with the resistor wire of course) and seeing if the problem keeps happening.

Has anyone had this problem? Maybe that amp gauge is faulty? Or could it be something in my ignition switch? There had to be a reason that they were not using it before...

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #2
thefalconer_88

Re: Failed pertronix ignitions

I forgot to mention that after I replace the fuses in the parking lot on the latest outing I had no spark. So whatever happened fried my pertronix 2
Old 06-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
El Dorado Jim

sub'd
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:54 AM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Go here , click on instructions in the left column and then select the product and pick your category ( igniter 2 ) then pick your model number. Look for the testing instructions for the module.

http://www.pertronix.com/support/instructions/

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote