The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #1
Llay R. Rac

best plan for painting over rust and old rust converter

I am redoing the frame of my suburbans original back seat, over the years the seat spent alot of time stored outside. 5 years under a large pecan tree caused pitting on the lower frame and back.
Over the years i put many layers of paint and rust converter on it. I have stripped all the paint but the rust converter is really sticking, and some of the rust is deep and hard to get out. I've done a few acid washes, lacquer thinner, sanding 50 grit, wire wheel , files, etc. There is still a large amount of pits, rust and old converter.
I want to paint this frame as a temporary measure hoping in a few years get it professionally cleaned,blasted or dunked.

I had planned to paint the frame with eastwood 2k aerosol epoxy but with the amount of non bare metal i will have, i think the adhesion of the epoxy would not be good.
any ideas what would be a good way to go to protect the frame and have it look decent until i can get done right.?
Old 06-14-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
Daubs

Re: best plan for painting over rust and old rust converter

Just get it done right this time around. Otherwise you will be doing it again in a few years...just get it blasted and shoot epoxy.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:15 PM   #3
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llay R. Rac View Post

I had planned to paint the frame with eastwood 2k aerosol epoxy but with the amount of non bare metal i will have, i think the adhesion of the epoxy would not be good.
any ideas what would be a good way to go to protect the frame and have it look decent until i can get done right.?
Spray Max (Germany) makes the Eastwood 2K aerosol epoxy (me thinks) ... but any epoxy primer (ANY) will do a great job considering the prep work you have done. Any 2K epoxy will encapsulate any rusted areas PROVIDING all loose rust and debris are removed. To see rust pits is OK to prime with epoxy primer as it will prevent further rusting. Just make sure any loose rusty bits are gone.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
Llay R. Rac

i ended up spending alot more time scrapping and sanding, got 95% of the rust and gunk off. there were only a few spots of scale and pitting left, with no loose stuff.
I had a can of spraymax and used that instead, after 24 hrs. it seems to adhered well to the non bare metal spots. I think i got my seat frame protected enough to store outside .
Old 06-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llay R. Rac View Post
i ended up spending alot more time scrapping and sanding, got 95% of the rust and gunk off. there were only a few spots of scale and pitting left, with no loose stuff.
I had a can of spraymax and used that instead, after 24 hrs. it seems to adhered well to the non bare metal spots. I think i got my seat frame protected enough to store outside .
Sounds to me like you nailed that one!

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote